New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 26 2012, 03:23 AM   #766
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Well, yeah, there is. But that's like saying, "Gee. Turn of the first millennium humans were pretty full of savagery with little regard to the care and well being of their fellow man."

Well, yes, they were. But only because of where they were at that time. We can't look down on cavemen, or Mongolian warriors because they weren't as advanced as us or had as much knowledge as we do on the world and science.

So judging humans of the 20th century for not being as advanced as 24th century humans is dumb. Of course they're petty and filled with greed. It's a product of the world they're living in. They just haven't advanced enough yet or reach that point of "time to stop this kiddie act and grow up!" (Which seemed to be a cross between WWIII and First Contact. One being the breaking point of humans finally having the one, last, big bender before waking up the next day and trying to figure out how to become sober and the other being us finding a sponsor in AA to help us get back on our feet.)

If I met my 17th century counterpart I wouldn't look down on him for not wanting to walk nicely down the street and greeting people pleasantly, not wanting to wear pants and not wanting to shower every other day or so. It's what he is it's what we all were back then maybe with some very limited exception but it's just where we were out.

I don't look at them and say, "Man! How did we ever not utterly destroy ourselves back then? Ignorance of simple biology so wild spread of disease, poor food-safety practices, unforgivable human rights practices. And just utter rule of lesser people. How'd we ever get out of the 17th century?"

And, come-on, Riker. I don't believe for one second that Commander William T. Riker doesn't know what, "Let's find us some low-mileage pit wolfies and help them make a memory!" means.

And for dissing on us 20th century humans so much Riker and Picard do seem to enjoyu our popular culture and music a lot. (Riker being fond of Jazz and Picard of 1940s pulp crime fiction stories.)
Old August 26 2012, 03:25 AM   #767
Maxwell Everett
Fleet Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
An HD TV is 1080 pixels wide, a DVD is only 480 pixels wide, meaning a DVD image would only take up less than half of your screen.
You mean "tall", not "wide". Full HD is 1920 pixels wide, 1440 for 4:3 content. SD is 720 wide... so the 4:3 TNG DVD image is approximately 1/4 the size of TNG on Blu-ray.
Old August 26 2012, 04:30 AM   #768
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, fatigue is getting to me. It's not quite (or even near) a third either.
Old August 26 2012, 05:23 AM   #769
mswood
Rear Admiral

davejames wrote: View Post
Just watched Too Short a Season, and while it's watchable enough, I'm having a hard time understanding what the point of it all was. As far as I can tell, it was only to watch a guy de-age over the course of an episode.
The point to me was to highlight Kirk versus Picard. Remember the 60s episode where Kirk gives equal arms to both waring parties? Here we see one possible result. Decades of endless war. Oh Joy!

I kid to some degree.
Old August 26 2012, 08:35 AM   #770
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I think you're reading way too deeply into it. By "eliminating want" Picard means that humans no longer always want more and more and more at the cost of their own financial security or at the cost of other's financial security.
So... why not just say that instead of stating that eliminating "want" in it's most absolute form? Picard seems to have little to no interest in telling this guy that anything he wants he could probably get without the use of money or lawyers. But no, he just tells them that possessions are a thing of the past and he needs to grow up.
I love Picard, but he could be quite the pompous ass at times. In DS9's "Emissary," when Sisko complains that an abandoned nearly disabled space station on the edge of nowhere isn't the ideal place to raise a son, Picard lectures to him that Starfleet officers don't always get to serve in ideal environments... while sipping earl gray in his comfortable lounge chair.
Old August 26 2012, 11:22 AM   #771
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Picard, however, commanded the Stargazer an "over-worked, underpowered" vessel for 22 years. Picard has had "done his time" in "less than ideal" assignments.
Old August 26 2012, 05:50 PM   #772
davejames
Vice Admiral

I know it can easily be interpreted that way, but to me Picard never came across as a pompous ass. He was just a very disciplined officer who could put his foot down really hard when he needed to, and who felt very passionately about justice and human progress and the like.

And even if Starfleet regulations often prevented him from interfering in a situation, that doesn't mean he couldn't vent about it and become righteously indignant, as anyone would. I never saw that as him being "preachy" or anything.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 12:16 AM   #773
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I envy all you guys watching TNG-R right now. I bought the set the day it came out but I packed up to move a few days later and I still don't have my belongings.

I'll finally get all my stuff this Friday but I still have to get replacements for the defective discs and I probably won't watch until I get the replacements. How fast has the replacement been for those of you in the US?
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 01:20 AM   #774
Salinga
Captain

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I love Picard, but he could be quite the pompous ass at times. In DS9's "Emissary," when Sisko complains that an abandoned nearly disabled space station on the edge of nowhere isn't the ideal place to raise a son, Picard lectures to him that Starfleet officers don't always get to serve in ideal environments... while sipping earl gray in his comfortable lounge chair.
Picard didnt sipp earl gray in the lounge of Starfleet's flagship his whole career. He accomplished something in rougher environments to get there.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 09:03 AM   #775
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I envy all you guys watching TNG-R right now. I bought the set the day it came out but I packed up to move a few days later and I still don't have my belongings.

I'll finally get all my stuff this Friday but I still have to get replacements for the defective discs and I probably won't watch until I get the replacements. How fast has the replacement been for those of you in the US?
No one has had any replacements yet.
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 11:56 AM   #776
Falcor5
Fleet Captain

They have not even started to send out the replacements yet. There is really no need to hold off watching your set until the replacements arrive. So once your all settled if I were you I would start watching rather than wait! But if you have not you should call or email to get your name on the replacement disc list.
Falcor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 03:37 PM   #777
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

^Agreed, don't wait to enjoy TNG in Bluray. The show looks great and for the most part sounds good too. I just watched Datalore and the new CGI for the Entity was awesome.
Old August 27 2012, 03:43 PM   #778
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Well I have seen two of the episodes. I went to the screening of "Datalore" and "Where No One Has Gone Before" when they had the special event at my local theater.

And I guess I will start watching this weekend if you guys think the sound isn't too distracting.

I'm still going to have to call the hotline. I sent an email when they first announced there would be a replacement program but I never got a reply.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 04:02 PM   #779
NewHorizon
Captain

Well I have seen two of the episodes. I went to the screening of "Datalore" and "Where No One Has Gone Before" when they had the special event at my local theater.

And I guess I will start watching this weekend if you guys think the sound isn't too distracting.

I'm still going to have to call the hotline. I sent an email when they first announced there would be a replacement program but I never got a reply.
I have just finished watching the entire first season, and it was really great. I set my sound to 2 channel to avoid any distractions and it was just fine. Looking forward to whatever fixes come in the revised set, but for now this is great. Watch it.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 10:44 PM   #780
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
I set my sound to 2 channel to avoid any distractions and it was just fine.
You only need do that on:

Encounter At Farpoint
Hide And Q
Haven
The Big Goodbye
Datalore
Too Short A Season