Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 26 2012, 02:01 AM   #76
jbny67
Commander

Re: Disney to Remake/ Reboot The Rocketeer

Beatty does still have the rights to Dick Tracy. What his plans are is anybody's guess.
As recent as last year he won a court battle to retain the rights and was still claiming that he intends to make another movie.
While being the producer of a Dick Tracy movie would seem to make sense, his intent seems to be to play the character once again.
He even went as far as to make "The Dick Tracy Special" in 2010 in order to retain the rights.
It featured him as Tracy being interviewed by Leonard Maltin and showed clips from all the Dick Tracy films, including his.
jbny67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 02:18 AM   #77
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
^Couldn't Beatty just be an executive producer on a film made by someone else?
The problem is that Beatty is an utter control freak. That's why a movie like Love Affair, in which he was nominally just the star, ended up running massively behind budget and over schedule - he kept re-writing Robert Towne's screenplay and telling Glenn Gordon Caron how to direct it. A simple love story ended up costing as much as most SFX blockbusters thanks to him. So I wouldn't be hopeful of him doing the decent thing where Dick Tracy is concerned.

PS - my choice for a live-action DT? - Chris Noth. Looks exactly like the f*cker!
Old August 26 2012, 07:30 PM   #78
JediKnightButler
Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler

I saw this for the first time not long ago and thought that it was fine just the way it was. I haven't read the comics so I might be missing something but the movie stood just fine on its own. Don't know why a reboot would be necessary/desirable. Can't people come up with some original ideas once in a while????
Old August 26 2012, 07:59 PM   #79
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

JediKnightButler wrote: View Post
I saw this for the first time not long ago and thought that it was fine just the way it was. I haven't read the comics so I might be missing something but the movie stood just fine on its own. Don't know why a reboot would be necessary/desirable. Can't people come up with some original ideas once in a while????
To be fair, the public is giving Hollywood seriously mixed messages. On the one hand, they claim they want original ideas. On other hand, the top-grossing movies every year tend to be sequels or remakes or new versions of old tv shows or comics.

Even around here, the most active threads tend to be about popular, long-running franchises and reboots of old favorites. Lucas announces a new Indiana Jones movie tomorrow and there will be a hundreds of posts, along with plenty of rumors and feverish speculation, by noon! And there are entire forums pining for a seventh Star Trek tv series!

And, honestly, in the case of the something like The Rocketeer that's been gathering dust for over twenty years and that didn't really catch on the first time around, why not take another go at it? Remember, 90% of the movie audience has never seen or has forgotten the old version. And today's teens weren't even born when the first movie flopped at the box office.

Hell, it took Hollywood five tries to make a decent Captain America movie. Suppose somebody had vetoed the new movie on the grounds that "hey, there's already been a b/w serial, two bad tv-movies, and a flop that went straight to DVD, why bother with Cap again? He's been done."

You can argue that the Rocketeer is overdue for another chance at glory. There's a brand-new audience out there, just waiting to discover him for the first time.

Last edited by Greg Cox; August 26 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Greg Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 08:16 PM   #80
Christopher
Writer

JediKnightButler wrote: View Post
I don't know why it wouldn't be. Yes, the original stands fine on its own, but making another movie would not change that in any way. Why would it? This isn't a zero-sum game. Different interpretations of the same story or the same concept can coexist without detracting from each other in the least. The existence of David Tennant's Hamlet and Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet -- or heck, even Mel Gibson's Hamlet -- doesn't undermine Laurence Olivier's Hamlet or Richard Burton's Hamlet or Derek Jacobi's Hamlet. The earlier versions aren't erased from existence when the new ones come along.

(And even the Hamlet performed at the Globe Theatre right after Shakespeare wrote it was a remake, just as virtually all of Shakespeare's plays were. Originality is in the execution, not the source.)

And as I said -- The Rocketeer isn't a one-time story like Hamlet. It's the premise for a continuing series of adventures. The makers of the 1992 film clearly hoped there would be sequels, since its conclusion was open-ended. So I just do not for the life of me understand the notion that finally bringing the Rocketeer back to the screen would in any way harm or undermine the previous film.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 08:26 PM   #81
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Exactly. And the existence of one good version hardly precludes the making of another, possibly better version.

I'm quite fond of the old 1940's version of THE THREE MUSKETEERS with Gene Kelly, Lana Turner, and Vincent Price, but the 1970's version directed by Richard Lester is arguably even better. Should they not have bothered back in the 70's because Musketeers had already been filmed umpteen times before?

Ditto for Batman, Tarzan, Zorro, James Bond, Robin Hood, etc.

There's also the fact that, honestly, complaining about remakes is like complaining that the sun rises in the east or that it gets cold in the winter. Hollywood has been making remakes since the silent era, and many Hollywood classics are actually remakes: BEN-HUR, THE MALTESE FALCON, SOME LIKE IT HOT, THE WIZARD OF OZ, THE FLY, THE THING, etc. Hell, Hitchcock once remade one of his own films (THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH) and so did Lon Chaney Senior (THE UNHOLY THREE, as a silent and a talkie). Remakes are a fact of life. They've always been around and always will be.

The more things change, the more they get remade!
Old August 26 2012, 08:53 PM   #82
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

I think it usually comes from a selfish place which is why I try not to be absolutist in the opinion over remakes. I have a feeling most people are responding to how familiar they are with the originals and whether they are interested personally in seeing those stories/characters/ideas revisited rather than how philosophically opposed to the universal concept of remakes they are. Don't get me wrong, I still have my opinions but I've been striving to just say what I personally think on a case-by-case basis than making any grander statements.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 08:57 PM   #83
Christopher
Writer

And let's not forget -- The Rocketeer is itself a near-remake, or rather a pastiche, of the "Rocketman" character who appeared under different names (the most famous being Commando Cody) in four Republic serials:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_of_the_Rocket_Men

And the Rocketman suit in the Republic serials was inspired in turn by the Buck Rogers comic strip!

Not to mention that the Rocketeer's girlfriend is a pastiche of a famous pinup model, his rocket pack was implicitly built by Doc Savage -- the whole thing is highly derivative to begin with! Not that that's a bad thing; lots of creativity is about taking pre-existing elements and paying tribute to them in a fresh way. But it goes to show how completely nonsensical it is to complain about reusing old ideas when talking about The Rocketeer. It wouldn't even exist if not for the reuse of old ideas!

Old August 26 2012, 08:58 PM   #84
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^ I need to watch those again some time.....
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 09:19 PM   #85
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
But it goes to show how completely nonsensical it is to complain about reusing old ideas when talking about The Rocketeer. It wouldn't even exist if not for the reuse of old ideas!
And the villains in the original movie were thinly-disguised riffs on Errol Flynn and Rondo Hatton. The whole thing is a big nostalgic homage to the pop culture of an earlier era.
Old August 26 2012, 09:40 PM   #86
Gaith
Rear Admiral

^ All of which are derivative stories about carbon-based life forms! Where's my superheroic movies about a pile of rocks, darn it! And those plastic rings that hold six cans of soda together - where's their love story?!
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 09:42 PM   #87
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
^ All of which are derivative stories about carbon-based life forms! Where's my superheroic movies about a pile of rocks, darn it! And those plastic rings that hold six cans of soda together - where's their love story?!
Paging Pixar . . . .
Old August 26 2012, 11:35 PM   #88
Dick Whitman
Fleet Captain

Beyond an affection for the original movie, I am would be happy to see it because there is really nothing else comparable to it now.

I can see why it would be grouped with Superheroes. But as others mentioned it was really based on pulp fiction and movie serials. Cliff did not have powers or even have a mission to fight evil. He was just a pilot who got a hold of a fantastic device by accident and did good with it.

Obviously the closest in style is Captain America. But Cliff is not a solider or superpowered. Also I am guessing that CA sequels will mostly take place in the present with some flashbacks.

I would hope however this is done the whole movie is not focused on his origin. Because it was really basic. He does not have much of a backstory. Maybe thats for the best.

The original comic did have veiled appearances by the Shadow and Doc Savage. Maybe Disney should get the rights to them too. If this works it could lead to a Pulp-Verse franchise. Not that its nessesary but it would make more sense than Marvel superheroes appearing.
Dick Whitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 12:35 AM   #89
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Bottom line: I can't understand why anyone would object to this movie being made. For one thing, it's not like the making of this movie means that the original movie is going to be wiped from reality. It's still out there to be seen and enjoyed.

But let's be realistic, it was never going to spawn a sequel. It would have been lovely if it did. But 20+ years down the line, with Bill Campbell far from being a box-office draw? No Way! Instead, we're getting a chance to start all over again. And trust me, if this sucks donkey testicle, no-one will be more critical than me. But as it is, we're getting a new Rocketeer movie. And a week ago, we didn't have a new Rocketeer movie. So as far as I'm concerned, that can only be a good thing.
Old August 27 2012, 01:13 AM   #90
Christopher
Writer

You know, come to think of it, I wouldn't mind seeing a reboot of Commando Cody. Maybe they could remake Zombies of the Stratosphere and convince Leonard Nimoy to make a cameo appearance. (For those who don't know, ZotS was the first time Nimoy played an alien.)