RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,670
Members: 24,822
Currently online: 417
Newest member: The Great Duck

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old August 26 2012, 10:07 PM   #16
JediKnightButler
Fleet Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler
Re: TNG era episodes into movie transitions idea..

M-Red wrote: View Post
Extending the Romulan-Vulcan storyline from "Unification" could have been fantastic. Romulan treachery with real Romulans, real TNG-show style Warbirds, high politics and significant Alpha Quadrant consequences, a new Rommie main villain, and a role for Spock. That could have been done very well in capable hands.
That *should* have been "Nemesis" IMHO. What we got was sooooooo far from what I imagined it to be
Old August 27 2012, 10:31 AM   #17
Plain Simple
Commodore

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
The deleted Quark scene in INS wasn't at the wedding party. It was at the end right before beam-out, Quark showed up with some Dabo girls in tow. Really odd appearance out of nowhere.

I don't have any links, I thought it was common knowledge regarding deleted scenes from INS. I think wikipedia or Trekcore or Memory Alpha has some info, it's not that obscure.
The wedding scene (if you're referring to Riker-Troi) was in Nemesis, not Insurrection. INS did have a reception on board the Enterprise at the start.

A few lines about Quark's (non-)appearance in INS can be found here.

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
Lloyd Dobler wrote: View Post
Paramount and the shows runners were extremely shortsighted. I seem to recall the reasoning had to do with wanting the TNG movies to appeal to wider audience. They feared if the shows tied into the movies, those who didn't watch the shows would somehow be confused.
This is a legitimate concern. Deep Space Nine wasn't exactly burning up the ratings, it was the Trek series underdog. Miring a TNG movie with DS9 continuity would require exposition that would be ultimately pointless in the grander scheme of the film. No standalone movie needs a TV series to set it up.
I don't see this as a concern. The OP's suggestion was not to change anything in the movie, but to add two scenes in DS9. One where the Defiant leaves to go battle the Borg, and another one, one or two episodes later, in which it comes back.

The syndication concern you voiced later in your post, is more valid, I think. Although if it is just one or two scenes in DS9, not a full episode, that concern is minor.

The biggest concern was probably that the DS9 writers didn't want to give up valuable screen time to plot points that had nothing to do with their show. And perhaps even more importantly, they probably didn't want to be forced to write out major characters and the Defiant for one or two episodes, while it was supposedly "off fighting the Borg". Still, I think it would've been cool. It would give more of the impression that the Trek shows take place in this vast fictional universe where a lot of other stuff is taking place at the same time.

JediKnightButler wrote: View Post
Extending the Romulan-Vulcan storyline from "Unification" could have been fantastic. Romulan treachery with real Romulans, real TNG-show style Warbirds, high politics and significant Alpha Quadrant consequences, a new Rommie main villain, and a role for Spock. That could have been done very well in capable hands.
That *should* have been "Nemesis" IMHO. What we got was sooooooo far from what I imagined it to be
Indeed, Nemesis could've been the movie in which the Romulans finally got to shine on the big screen as villain or allies, whichever way they had wanted to take it. Instead we got... wasted potential, let's say.

It's Tolkien, not Tolkein.

Last edited by Plain Simple; August 27 2012 at 10:33 AM. Reason: added some things
Plain Simple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2012, 05:39 AM   #18
Agonizer
Ensign

It would've been a nice idea, but I don't think it would have helped in promotion of the movie. I think everyone who watched DS9 knew about First Contact.
Agonizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2012, 08:32 PM   #19
Gojira
Commodore

los2188 wrote: View Post
This is more of a thought than a question, but I've always wondered why they didn't utilize some of the TNG era TV shows to set up movies. Granted, you probably couldn't do that with Voyager, but it would have been a nice intro to, let's say First Contact. What I pictured is the most current, at the time, episode of DS9 before the release of First Contact have a scene or two where let's say Sisko talks about the coming Borg threat in which he sends Worf and O'Brien in the Defiant to help fight the Borg and you see them leave, and then that's it. The action would pick back up when it does on First Contact. And then the DS9 episode right after the First Contact release has them maybe being towed back to DS9 and there to be a few scenes regarding the battle. Same with DS9 and Insurrection. You'd be giving a little bit of info that wouldn't ruin the movie. I mean I think it's safe to say that we all knew the Borg would be in First Contact before it was even released so you're not ruining anything about the movie, plus I think it gives a much smoother flow and explains Worf's appearances in the movies much better. And for the record, O'Brien should have been in a least one movie only it it was a cameo. I think he earned that. What do all of you think?
I just watched First Contact, the episode, and I thought that it would have made a good jumping off spot for a movie. I would have loved to see how things changed for them a few years later. It would have been interesting to explore.
Old September 16 2012, 12:52 AM   #20
JudgeDredd
Lieutenant Junior Grade

You're probably right. I'm not exact in my memory with DS9 original airdates and INS premiere and Dominion War timeline.

Even still, post-war or not, O'Brien would be an easy choice for an appearance at the wedding. Of all crossover characters, being invited to a wedding for old friends is a
perfect setup. No forced explanations or excuses.

Of course, I was also surprised that none of Worf's Enterprise friends came to his wedding to Jadzia. But hey, what can you do?

The deleted Quark scene in INS wasn't at the wedding party. It was at the end right before beam-out, Quark showed up with some Dabo girls in tow. Really odd appearance out of nowhere.

I don't have any links, I thought it was common knowledge regarding deleted scenes from INS. I think wikipedia or Trekcore or Memory Alpha has some info, it's not that obscure.
You seem to keep missing a point here: the Riker/Troi wedding was in Nemesis, not Insurrection. And the Dominion War was still going on during Insurrection, but was over before Nemesis.
JudgeDredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 03:14 AM   #21
FKnight
Commander

We left off with O'Brien going back to Earth after the war.
Then next up, Riker and Troi are in Alaska for their wedding.
So what happened? Keiko and Miles didn't get an invite?
I think O'Brien knows why.
"You have been examined. Your ship must be destroyed. We make assumption you have a deity, or deities, or some such beliefs which comfort you. We therefore grant you ten Earth time periods known as minutes to make preparations."
FKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2012, 06:33 AM   #22
los2188
Commander

One of the ideas that I had concerning a transition into Generations was to have an episode of DS9 where the Enterprise docs there for upgrades and repairs, thus explaining, to a degree, but not that it was needed, the physical changes seen on the Enterprise bridge in Generations and possibly uniforms. I could see there being scenes with O'Brien, LaForge, Crusher, Worf, and maybe Data on the station and assisting with upgrades. Maybe even show Worf's promotion, but in a different way other than on a boat in the holodeck. I say all of this again with the thought that it wasn't needed, but it's just an idea.
Old September 16 2012, 08:23 PM   #23
NrobbieC
Commander

Extending the Romulan-Vulcan storyline from "Unification" could have been fantastic. Romulan treachery with real Romulans, real TNG-show style Warbirds, high politics and significant Alpha Quadrant consequences,
But Romulus is in the Beta Quadrant.
NrobbieC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2012, 04:58 AM   #24
Mr_Homn
Captain

FKnight wrote: View Post
We left off with O'Brien going back to Earth after the war.
Then next up, Riker and Troi are in Alaska for their wedding.
So what happened? Keiko and Miles didn't get an invite?
I think O'Brien knows why.

Hahaha, nice reference.