Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 23 2012, 07:12 PM   #16
Mars
Captain

Re: Interesting Trek Comics in November

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
nuTrek "Mirror, Mirror"!!!!

That should be fun. Although my brain is immediately trying to make sense of how it would work timeline-wise. Did they have a mirror-supernova, and Mirror!Nero or Mirror!Spock Prime go back branching the mirror universe in 2233?
The Supernova would have gone off and destroyed Romulus regardless, as that is because the star has run out of fuel to prevent its collapse. One story problem is that in the original Mirror Universe Spock is dead. So who can substitute for Spock? What's the name of that Vulcan lady who's half Romulan from the Wrath of Khan? Ah I got it Lieutenant Saavik, because of her half-Romulan heritage she'd have motivation to try and save Romulus from the Supernova explosion, and maybe incur Nero's wrath by doing so, only one problem, the Klingons destroyed Romulus before the Supernova did its work. The Romulans of the Mirror Universe are a planetless people, they joined the rebels in fighting the Klingons in the Mirror Universe books. The supernova would still explode, but the main villain Nero lacks motivation, but perhaps someone else can fill Nero's boots. How about Jadzia Dax, the Terrans exterminated her people under Spock, perhaps she could go back to the 23rd century and try to save her people from extinction, and maybe get some revenge against Spock while back there.

On second thought, maybe the Mirror Universe's version of George Kirk would go back to avenge his brother James, whom Spock killed, naw. Any other ideas?
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 08:57 PM   #17
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Mr. Domino wrote: View Post
Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I wonder how the split art duties on Assimilation2 #7 will work. Another flashback sequence, a la issue #3 to explain the difference in art styles?
Most likely, yes - the Tardis will be going back to Wolf 359 during the issue, so that's probably where the switch will happen (is it too much for this fanboy to hope for a run-in with Sisko on the Saratoga?)
Comic Book Resources has up a preview of issue #4, and now we can see how Purcell's contribution works -- he's providing the pencil foundation for Woodward to paint over.

It's interesting visually. Purcell's Star Trek work has always had some distinctive quirks, and you can see them until Woodward's paints. Purcell totally misses Karen Gillan's likeness, but his Matt Smith is good.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 09:23 PM   #18
Christopher
Writer

Reading that preview, I found it hard to imagine the actors' voices and deliveries as I read. I mean, TNG was so sedate and orderly and measured, and present-day Who is so frenetic and goofy and melodramatic and loud, so it's hard to fit them together in my mind. Although come to think of it, I suppose if it did actually happen onscreen, it might go kind of like a Q episode, with this wild, bratty trickster figure barging in and disrupting the staid, civilized rhythms of the E-D crew. Come to think of it, the Doctor has a lot in common with Q, aside from having kinder and more benevolent motives. I think Picard would be wary of him because of that, and would take a while to learn to trust him. Maybe we're seeing a bit of that in the preview, though I don't yet know what came before.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 10:44 PM   #19
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
Reading that preview, I found it hard to imagine the actors' voices and deliveries as I read. I mean, TNG was so sedate and orderly and measured...
And then in walks Lwaxana. "Frenetic and goofy and melodramatic and loud."
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 01:20 AM   #20
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Christopher wrote: View Post
Reading that preview, I found it hard to imagine the actors' voices and deliveries as I read. I mean, TNG was so sedate and orderly and measured, and present-day Who is so frenetic and goofy and melodramatic and loud, so it's hard to fit them together in my mind.
The approach they're taking, based on the way the story reads, is to treat this as a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode that happens to guest star the eleventh Doctor. So, it's a sedate, orderly, and measured piece of work -- in other words, it's a little boring, a little drawn out, and not as engaging as it could be, not unlike TNG was so capable of being -- and, like much of IDW's Star Trek work, this will undoubtedly read better in the collections. If there's a problem with the "TARDIS lands on the Enterprise" approach, it's that there's no narrative role for Amy and Rory to fill because the Star Trek universe is so thoroughly documented and familiar that they aren't necessary to convey the universe to the audience.

I harbor the hope that, because this series is selling incredibly well for IDW, that they will do a follow-up series that puts a Star Trek ship in the Doctor's universe.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 01:42 AM   #21
Christopher
Writer

I'd love to see the Doctor and Dax team up. They have so much in common.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote