CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 26 2012, 03:31 PM   #4966
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

^ Agree one hundred percent. It really depends on the writer for me when I'm following it. If "Batman" was being written by say Scott Lobdell or Tony Daniel...it'd be dropped in a heartbeat.

Pete Woods has a different take on Liefeld's twitter rants from yesterday. Says there is a plan in effect for the New 52 and that there have been compromises made, and that the communication part is 90 percent the fault of the creator and not the editor (not sure that I agree with this, but I understand what he's saying).

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/08/...iefeld-debate/

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; August 26 2012 at 03:57 PM.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 05:39 PM   #4967
the G-man
Commodore

JD wrote: View Post
Wow, Leifield is a serious asshole. And it sounds like he isn't even talented enough for that to make up for his personality.
Not a fan of his work at all. However, it sounded as if he had some legitimate points about DC (points I've read others, including George Perez, make as well). As such, I can't blame him for getting riled at Breevort. However, I can't fathom what set him off at Snyder (even if I agree with him to some extent that Batman's built in audience is going to guarantee a writer a certain level of success no matter who that writer is).
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 06:40 PM   #4968
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

The second Justice League team that was previewed in the New 52 Free Comic Book Day issue, has been announced. Written by Geoff Johns, art by David Finch. Very interesting indeed.

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2012/08/26/...s-david-finch/

Old August 26 2012, 07:07 PM   #4969
shivkala
Rear Admiral

GJ: The characters that are selected like Stargirl, and Vibe, and Green Arrow, they have a lot of personality. If you remember the first couple of issues of Justice League, with their larger than life personalities, and the development... This takes it to the fifteenth degree, because we’re dealing with characters that are... Like, you don’t know where Vibe is coming from. He’s recruited to the JLA by his older brother, and he says, “Why would they want me? I’m just this kid from Detroit. I’ve stopped three liquor store robberies, and one was by mistake.” His brother looks at him and says, “Maybe they see potential in you that you and I don’t see.” And he’s like, “Thanks a lot.”
In other words, despite my original thought that this sounded cool and something I would be interested in, it's going to be full of the obnoxious characterization that turned me off of Justice League.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 07:36 PM   #4970
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Yeah. I don't understand why Johns is characterizing these characters they way he has done in "Justice League". Arthur is not the way he is in JL in "Aquaman" for instance. It really was the thing that turned me off the most about "Justice League" is the attitude of the characters. Johns is better than that IMO.

Old August 26 2012, 08:54 PM   #4971
shivkala
Rear Admiral

I've said it before and I'll say it again...a Geoff Johns Justice League has been high on my list for years, especially when he wrote them in "The Secret of Barry Allen" in 2005. He nailed their characterizations in a scene that lasted only a few panels.

"Crisis of Conscience" in JLA was pretty good, but too beholden to bridging Identity Crisis and Infinite Crisis. I was never a fan of the mind wipes/lobotomies by the JLA. However, that arc was really well written and the characters (when not possessed by Despero, that is ) were well written.

Arthur and Hal are perfect examples of how Johns is writing great characterizations of the same characters he has in Justice League who seem "off." Now that the whole "it's five years earlier" excuse is gone, it's even worse.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 09:00 PM   #4972
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I know exactly how you feel. I believe I've mentioned a couple of times in this thread and in the original news thread how excited I was for Johns and Lee on "Justice League". By all appearances it should have been the special thing that it was marketed as, but instead it has turned out to be my biggest disappointment of the New 52 for the reasons I've explained above, and in other posts in the thread on it. Jim Lee is nailing the art work, but the writing is simply is not there. I think it's going to remain dropped for the time being.

Old August 26 2012, 09:02 PM   #4973
Derishton
Vice Admiral

I didn't make a conscious decision to drop Justice League, but I notice I didn't purchase the last two or three issues. So I guess I did decide without deciding ...
Old August 26 2012, 09:06 PM   #4974
the G-man
Commodore

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Jim Lee is nailing the art work, but the writing is simply is not there.
I've noticed that Lee seems to bring out the worst in a lot of DC's writers: Loeb, Miller, Azarello now Johns. It's almost as if his art is so pretty that the writers either think that will carry the book or they try to write for Lee's 'strengths' (Loeb admitted as much, in fact) more than for clarity of story.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 09:21 PM   #4975
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I believe House of UIster has mentioned a few times in the past that Lee is , or is thought to be co-plotting the book with Johns. I've not seen mention of this at all myself, but it probably would explain a lot of things. Perhaps we'll see a difference if the rumours about his departure in the creative musical chairs in January are true.

Old August 26 2012, 09:38 PM   #4976
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Justice League Dark #12 - was another good read. I continue to really like the art on the book. I'm not as keen on some of the characters I'm being introduced to, name only till now. Has the House of Secrets always been able to essentially travel and move about? I didn't have any real connection to the character who died cause he shows up for 2 pages and then is dead. This will be my last arc on JLD I guess so I hope it's awesome!

All Star Western #12 - The relaunch of Jonah has been great, kudos to the team. While I enjoyed the 12 issues with a few sidebars elsewhere I'm curious how much longer they can keep Jonah in Gotham. This issue seemed to indicate he was pulling out but that happened once before and the intro to issue #7 had him pulled right back in with Arkham on a mission.
The backup story that concluded a two part story with Dr.13 was fun. Not sure if he's a new character but I liked how the story took us to Slaughter Swamp wich I had also just read about in JLD#12. The #0 issue will be my last one for this title, it should be a stand alone tale.

I,Vampire #12 - This was my first introduction to Stormwatch and I found Apollo and Midnighters banter to be fun. Can't really talk about the contents without spoiler code but trust me it was good. Tig getting bit was a bit of justice but that didn't last long. The ending sure leaves plenty of questions on the table. Great art in this book is also being maintained.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 11:00 PM   #4977
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Greg Capullo talks about the Joker arc in "Batman" and Dan DiDio says "sure" when asked if Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain are coming back.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/08/...t-rob-liefeld/

Old August 26 2012, 11:22 PM   #4978
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Nice to hear they are considering bringing back a Red Robin solo title. Tim Drake deserves so much better than the god-awful Titans book.
Old August 26 2012, 11:28 PM   #4979
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I still really want a solo Damian title. I think he's ready to support one, or at the very least a mini-series of his own. I agree about Tim.

Old August 27 2012, 12:13 AM   #4980
Derishton
Vice Admiral

I think a Marvel Two-in-One style team-up book for Damian! They could call it "DC Showcase Brat and Friends."