Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old August 23 2012, 01:23 PM   #31
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Re: DS9's growing popularity

Supoosedly Babylon 5 cost as much to make an entire season as Voyager spent per episode. So I imagine they have a higher profit margin on DVDs compared to Trek.

Although I'd guess Trek shifts a LOT more DVDs than B5 ever did.
Old August 23 2012, 01:52 PM   #32
MacLeod
Admiral

B5 maybe cost half as much as DSN per episode.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 07:09 PM   #33
ichab
Commodore

I'm one of those Trek fans who discovered DS9 through the DVDs. Never saw it when it was on and after I went thru the TNG DVDs decided to give Season 1 a shot. Have been a fan ever since. TOS, TNG and DS9 are my favorite Star Treks. Sometimes I get into a marathon mood and watch all three in order. Might decide to do that again at some point because it's been awhile.
Old August 23 2012, 07:23 PM   #34
Kegg
Rear Admiral

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
I think Trekkies are the only ones who even remember DS9 at this point.
Well, Trekkies and other geeks. In the context of geek TV culture the series still is a blip on the radar (particularly, as noted, for its serial elements) if not pop culture generally.
Old August 24 2012, 12:04 AM   #35
dodge
Lieutenant Commander

timtonruben359 wrote: View Post
My question is, had DS9 come on the air a decade or more later than it did, do you think it would have achieved a higher degree of success?
Looking at recent television trends, had they pitched it today it would have never been made at all...
Old August 24 2012, 12:13 AM   #36
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
MacLeod wrote: View Post
Which is why they don't do well, and because they don't do well. Stations are less likely to air them at a more favourable time.
They don't do well because people on this side of the pond usually prefer something they can jump in and out of as their schedules dictate. It's the reason sitcoms, reality TV and game shows do well in those early evening slots.
With things like DVR and season passes on iTunes, I don't think that's true anymore, but it probably used to be. Shows that are very serialized, like Game of Thrones and Mad Men are quite popular.

I like letting episodes pile up, and then sitting down and watching them when I have the time. And with iTunes and online streaming, you can watch new episodes of some shows anytime on your laptop. It's great for lunch breaks.
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 12:21 AM   #37
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

dodge wrote: View Post
timtonruben359 wrote: View Post
My question is, had DS9 come on the air a decade or more later than it did, do you think it would have achieved a higher degree of success?
Looking at recent television trends, had they pitched it today it would have never been made at all...
I only agree with this in the case of network television and because it was a 7 season series with 26 episodes for every season but the first. The concept, however, would be worth pursuing today by some cable networks, I think. I'd go for HBO or AMC, which shouldn't be surprising.
Old August 26 2012, 02:01 AM   #38
TenLubak
Commander

Star Trek Deep Space Nine used to come every Wednesday at 8 on WNUV TV 54 where your vote counts!

So it was popular when it was on here or else they wouldn't have left it at such a grand time. Later on however, it was moved to Friday night at 9 in the last 2 seasons i believe and therefore, was not something I watched anymore growing up because i was out and about on Fridays. I mean the only people that would be home on a Friday night at 9 would be older people or dorks. So it really lost its appeal to many about this time, so i think most people, if they bothered to go back and re watch it, most likely saw the end of the series later in its run. At least thats how it went with my chums that enjoyed the program.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhCy1...feature=relmfu
Oh here is the promo

Last edited by TenLubak; August 26 2012 at 02:11 AM. Reason: DEEP SPACE NINE Action Wednesdays on WNUV TV 54
TenLubak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 03:26 AM   #39
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

A person can still go out at 10pm on a Friday night. A lot of clubs don't get hopping until 11pm or later anyway. Just saying.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Old August 26 2012, 12:22 PM   #40
MacLeod
Admiral

^Depends on where you live.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old August 26 2012, 08:03 PM   #41
M'rk, son of Mogh
Rear Admiral

I just came back from the Toronto Fan Expo, and as very unscientific as this is, Kate Mulgrew had a line that never ended (until she left early!!), Levar Burton had a modest line-up throughout the day, and Nana Visitor (who was ADORABLE to talk to!!!) was mostly empty.

I wouldn't put their characters on equal footing in popularity, but still, as a simple anecdote, I think it's a bit telling on the levels of popularity. I'm not lying when I say I felt a little bad for her, Nana was easily one of the friendliest people there!
M'rk, son of Mogh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 04:12 AM   #42
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

^ I think it might be telling for the characters, but Levar and Nana's characters weren't the most popular on their respective shows (at least not from my view). Captains are usually popular. Now, had the comparison been Mulgrew, Stewart, and Brooks, that would be fair, but still not necessarily telling of the shows.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Old August 27 2012, 06:57 PM   #43
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
^ I think it might be telling for the characters, but Levar and Nana's characters weren't the most popular on their respective shows (at least not from my view). Captains are usually popular. Now, had the comparison been Mulgrew, Stewart, and Brooks, that would be fair, but still not necessarily telling of the shows.
I don't think Sisko is the most popular character on DS9, and I'm not sure if Janeway is on VOY. I just think that Janeway is more famous among casual fans and in pop culture in general as the first female captain in Star Trek (and more so than Brooks is as the first black captain), while Kira rarely gets mentioned as one of the kickass heroines of the 1990s TV (which is really unfair IMO).

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 08:36 PM   #44
MacLeod
Admiral

Perhaps that's because given it's more stationary nature, it's the least Trek in terms of exploration. Yet at it's core perhaps it is one of the closer ones in spirit to TOS.
Old August 27 2012, 11:24 PM   #45
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
I don't think Sisko is the most popular character on DS9, and I'm not sure if Janeway is on VOY. I just think that Janeway is more famous among casual fans and in pop culture in general as the first female captain in Star Trek (and more so than Brooks is as the first black captain), while Kira rarely gets mentioned as one of the kickass heroines of the 1990s TV (which is really unfair IMO).
I wasn't meaning to say that Sisko and Janeway were the most popular characters on their respective shows, just that captains tend to be popular. None of number one favorite characters from any series is the captain. Sad about Kira, but as has been said here, the series is still a little under the radar, and that's unfair too.

Evy wrote: View Post
I don't know about growing popularity but I have found that it is easier to turn non Trek fans onto this series than any other I have tried.
high risk merchant account
I think you might have something there. DS9 is the only one where I started watching and just didn't stop until it was over. The rest of them didn't have that same appeal to me, but TNG came close.