Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 23 2012, 10:32 PM   #16
WarsTrek1993
Captain

Re: The Great Star Trek Pocket Novel Reread

CaptainSarine wrote: View Post

Anyone else ever tried something like this? Or interested in reading along?

Joel
I'm doing a Star Trek read-through at the moment, too. My next novel is TOS: Shadows On The Sun. (Almost to the intro of Generations!!).
After that it's the prologue of Relics.
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 01:23 AM   #17
Plaristes
Lieutenant

I look forward to reading your posts as each novel is read. :-)
Old August 24 2012, 05:14 AM   #18
indianatrekker26
Captain

i started this recently myself, about a month ago. I started reading them in publication order. Got from #1 The Motion Picture up to Yesterday's Son, before taking a breather, and reading some star wars.
indianatrekker26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 06:06 AM   #19
Kopernikus
Commander

Timewalker wrote: View Post
How long, on average, does it take you to read one Star Trek novel?
Depends entirely on the size, but generally in one day I can get through one. No longer than two or three days. This is a long term project.

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
Wow even if I read nothing but Trek this would take me about two decades.
Like I said above, long term project, though I hope in two or three years I can get through them.

I'm following the publication order. I would have liked to do a chronological order but difficult to work out exactly where everything fits... I'll post tomorrow the first ten or twenty books and hopefully my first review of The Motion Picture.

TigerBait wrote: View Post
Give yourself an extra few weeks for Probe, that bastard is a tough read...
Thanks for the advice!

flandry84 wrote: View Post
Just finished rereading The Captains' honour and I had forgotten just how downright strange some of it was.
Funny how wrong some assumptions made by the authors look in hindsight.
Anyhow,best of luck with your quest.
Thanks! I'm on to The Klingon Gambit at the moment and some of it is quite... !
Regarding the Chronological Order: This Blogger here is trying to do exactly that:
http://killie-booktalk.blogspot.de/p...challenge.html
But in the end it doesen't matter in which order you read them. I guess you could even read them sorted alphabetically by author or title, it would still be one hell of a challenge. After all, we're talking about 566 books at the moment, that's more than most people read in their entire life...
I for myself don't follow a strict order, except that I usually switch between a newer and an older novel. And since there are so many other interesting things to read, I usually manage to read only about 20 to 25 Trek-Books per year, amounting to 345 read novels since I started collecting about 12 years ago.
Kopernikus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 06:25 AM   #20
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

As an interesting FYI for anyone reading Sonni Cooper's novel Blackfire: Some of the material that didn't make it into the novel was published in a fanzine called Infinite Diversity, vol. 5. I was fortunate enough to find this 'zine on eBay, and am very much looking forward to reading it. I've no idea at all what may have been left out of the novel, or why. I would guess it was some combination of that material didn't fit into the story somehow, or it would have made the book too long... anyway, just mentioning this in case anyone else wants to read the rest of the story.

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 11:49 AM   #21
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Oh god, I hope it's not like those "extra chapters" for Marshak and Culbreath's novels supposedly sold at conventions years back!
Old August 24 2012, 12:15 PM   #22
Timewalker

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Oh god, I hope it's not like those "extra chapters" for Marshak and Culbreath's novels supposedly sold at conventions years back!
I'm pretty sure it's light-years better than anything those two could come up with. Gah, even Diane Carey is better than those two, and I've made no secret of my intense dislike for her writing.

I just took a quick look through the introductory notes. Would you be satisfied to know that both Bjo Trimble and Theodore Sturgeon read the original rough draft and recommended that Ms. Cooper submit it to Pocket Books?

Old August 24 2012, 12:45 PM   #23
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

It's less quality of writing and more content. Don't be too shocked if Spock and Desus get in on in this version.

But if Bjo and Sturgeon liked it, hopefully they don't.
Old August 24 2012, 09:22 PM   #24
Timewalker

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
It's less quality of writing and more content. Don't be too shocked if Spock and Desus get in on in this version.

But if Bjo and Sturgeon liked it, hopefully they don't.
Well, I'll come back and let people know after I've read it then, how's that?

The entire novel is not included in the fanzine, since that would have violated Pocket Books' copyright. So I will have to read this with the 'zine in one hand and the novel in the other, switching back and forth whenever the 'zine indicates that the novel's material comes next in the story.

And I'm not into slashfic anyway, unless it's a necessary part of the story, or explores some aspect of a character in a non-gratuitous way.

Old August 24 2012, 11:08 PM   #25
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

I envy someone who can read a book in two hours and still come away with some reading comprehension. I can only read about 50 pages an hour tops and still understand what is going on and fully understand the novel.

I could never get caught up on ALL the novels, but I do plan on going back to the beginning of the DS9 relaunch after I rewatch the series next year. I only made it Mission Gamma: Twilight before I kind of gave up on Star Trek for a long time. Not because of that specific book though. I also need to read all of Kirsten Beyer's Voyager novels. AND I want to read all of Vanguard. This task alone seems daunting.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 05:43 PM   #26
CaptainSarine
Commander

Star Trek: The Motion Picture Thoughts

First book published under the Pocket line way back in 1979 (yikes, 5 years before I was even born!), and first book I read as part of this Great Reread project. Although I have seen the film, I hadn't read this novel before I started this adventure. So, thoughts?

Overall, I enjoyed it more than I did the film. The book seemed to have a more interesting pace, delving into just enough of the thoughts and backgrounds of the characters to add something, without becoming bogged down in what could have been pages and pages of description as the crew of the Enterprise encounter the V'ger entity.

I doubt I have to delve too much into the plot of the book as it follows very closely that of the movie. Suffice it to say that everything is here, from the Klingon ships being destroyed at the opening of the story through to the creation of a new entity through V'ger's joining with her Creator at the end. That first scene I felt was especially well done, even though it occured only thanks to a technological device that has never again be mentioned anywhere in Star Trek lore as far as I know. Still, this allows Gene Roddenberry to show the important scene of the Klingon attack through the eyes of James T. Kirk, thus introducing us to our main character at the same time.

The characterisation was excellent, as could be expected of a novel coming directly from the pen of Star Trek's Great Bird of the Galaxy himself. Kirk, McCoy and Spock especially were very well drawn, and it was as much of a thrill to read about their return aboard the Enterprise as it was to see it on film. The novel also delves a little bit more into exactly how Kirk comes back to be in charge of the Enterprise, giving us a glimpse at two characters who will be familiar to readers of either the Lost Years Quadrology or the Vanguard series, namely Lori Ciana and Admiral Nogura.

Overall, a good beginning to the Pocket line of books, a good start to this Reread and a fine companion to the movie that - no matter what else we as fans may think about it - made all the rest (Wrath of Khan, the other movies, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT) possible.

Next up - The Entropy Effect
Old August 26 2012, 05:55 PM   #27
Christopher
Writer

While even just reading Pocket's complete Star Trek output is a monumental undertaking, I find it a bit disappointing that you didn't start with the Bantam novels and the Ballantine Star Trek Logs -- or even Mission to Horatius if you really wanted to be complete about it, although I've never read that one myself.

Although since you've already started reading in chronological order, it's a bit too late for that -- although you could still slot in Bantam's Perry's Planet, The Galactic Whirlpool, and Death's Angel, which came out between the TMP novelization and The Entropy Effect (which is why TEE was delayed so long -- Pocket obtained the license in '79 but had to wait until Bantam had released all the books they had under contract before that point). Although the only one of those I'd actually recommend is Whirlpool.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 06:45 PM   #28
zarkon
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
While even just reading Pocket's complete Star Trek output is a monumental undertaking, I find it a bit disappointing that you didn't start with the Bantam novels and the Ballantine Star Trek Logs -- or even Mission to Horatius if you really wanted to be complete about it, although I've never read that one myself.

Although since you've already started reading in chronological order, it's a bit too late for that -- although you could still slot in Bantam's Perry's Planet, The Galactic Whirlpool, and Death's Angel, which came out between the TMP novelization and The Entropy Effect (which is why TEE was delayed so long -- Pocket obtained the license in '79 but had to wait until Bantam had released all the books they had under contract before that point). Although the only one of those I'd actually recommend is Whirlpool.
Which of the other bantams would you recommend?

And I concur as far as the logs go. ADF did a great job on those, especially the expanded "The Eye of the Beholder", the second part of that is one of my favourite TOS reads. Jawanda were fantastic.
Old August 26 2012, 06:46 PM   #29
CaptainSarine
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post

I'm not actually reading in chronological order, so I could go back and include them. However, at the moment, the reading order is publishing order, starting with the ones I already have and gradually going back and fitting in the ones I don't. I have brought a couple in order to read the first 4 at least, but then I'll be skipping a few which I'll come back to later. So I may branch off to some of the Bantam ones later on.
Old August 26 2012, 06:54 PM   #30
zarkon
Captain

Next up - The Entropy Effect
Heh, I'll join in when you hit The Klingon Gambit - I reread TEE recently, and I don't think I'll do it again. It's a favourite for quite a few people but sufficed to say I'm not one of them.