Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old August 25 2012, 05:03 PM   #16
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Re: Study Sees Continued Decline in Overall Credibility of News Media

Pretty much. The Big 3 are too busy sucking up to TPTB to be credible at all as independent new organizations. They have buried more shit in an attempt to appear "impartial" and "balanced" that they have lost sight of their purpose.

And CNN is just frankly fluff.
Hound of UIster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 12:36 AM   #17
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

billcosby wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
That's why, for the longest time, I preferred to get my news from "The Daily Show" and "The Colbert Report." They have no problem insulting either political party or calling bullshit on other news sources when they're clearly reporting things with bias.
Those are both fun shows but I would never use them as my main news sources. That will do nothing but give you a very cynical, very distorted view of reality.
True... but at least you won't have to suffer through all the fluff pieces on the evening news.
I have to wonder why anyone bothers with TV news at all. Almost all of it is a complete joke.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 01:01 AM   #18
J.T.B.
Commodore

I have to wonder why anyone bothers with TV news at all. Almost all of it is a complete joke.
I find PBS NewsHour still maintains a pretty high standard with longer-form pieces and extended interviews. BBC World News America is also excellent. I'm sure there some will claim they are biased but I think it would be pretty hard to demonstrate.

I have read some who say that the "Golden Age" of conscientiously-neutral TV news may have been more an aberration due to the scarcity of bandwith, and now that's loosened up journalism is going back to its "natural state" of competing partisan outlets.

Justin
J.T.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 04:39 AM   #19
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

J.T.B. wrote: View Post
I find PBS NewsHour still maintains a pretty high standard with longer-form pieces and extended interviews. BBC World News America is also excellent. I'm sure there some will claim they are biased but I think it would be pretty hard to demonstrate.

I have read some who say that the "Golden Age" of conscientiously-neutral TV news may have been more an aberration due to the scarcity of bandwith, and now that's loosened up journalism is going back to its "natural state" of competing partisan outlets.

Justin
Yeah, those are good choices if you're going to get information from TV. I try to stick with NPR and various news sites (not just American ones, either.)
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 04:46 AM   #20
the G-man
Commodore

A big part of the problem today is that most modern 'journalists' have little, if any, experience or education in anything but journalism. So they don't really understand what they're covering. As a result, they can't provide depth to anything.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 05:28 AM   #21
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
A big part of the problem today is that most modern 'journalists' have little, if any, experience or education in anything but journalism. So they don't really understand what they're covering. As a result, they can't provide depth to anything.
While no doubt that's true in many cases, and it's easy to come to that conclusion based on their lameness on the air, I've also noted that there are some correspondents who spend a lot of time in hot spots. Extended first hand experience does count for something. These types of correspondents are a cut above the empty-headed anchors.

---

Just as a general remark on topic, I try to take each report in the news as a puzzle piece. More news (from independent sources) means more pieces to the puzzle. I don't limit my exposure, except to stay the hell away from Fox.
Old August 26 2012, 05:29 AM   #22
Locutus of Bored
No Solicitors!

I find PBS NewsHour still maintains a pretty high standard with longer-form pieces and extended interviews. BBC World News America is also excellent.
Al Jazeera English is quite good as well if you can get it (or you can watch it streaming online).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jaze...h#Availability
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
Locutus of Bored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 05:34 AM   #23
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

That's an interesting theory, thanks for that.
Old August 26 2012, 06:11 PM   #24
the G-man
Commodore

New York Times public editor Arthur Brisbane’s reflections on how the Times covers the news in his final column:
I also noted two years ago that I had taken up the public editor duties believing “there is no conspiracy” and that The Times’s output was too vast and complex to be dictated by any Wizard of Oz-like individual or cabal. I still believe that, but also see that the hive on Eighth Avenue is powerfully shaped by a culture of like minds — a phenomenon, I believe, that is more easily recognized from without than from within.
When The Times covers a national presidential campaign, I have found that the lead editors and reporters are disciplined about enforcing fairness and balance, and usually succeed in doing so. Across the paper’s many departments, though, so many share a kind of political and cultural progressivism — for lack of a better term — that this worldview virtually bleeds through the fabric of The Times.
As a result, developments like the Occupy movement and gay marriage seem almost to erupt in The Times, overloved and undermanaged, more like causes than news subjects.
Old August 26 2012, 06:20 PM   #25
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

It's worth noting that the Times was willing to print that which actually helps its credibility in my book.
Old August 26 2012, 06:25 PM   #26
the G-man
Commodore

Admitting a problem is good but fixing it would seem to be better.
Old August 26 2012, 06:29 PM   #27
sidious618
Admiral

Not if the problem isn't there. I have some problems with the Times, it relies on anonymous sources a little too much for my taste, but the idea that it's this elitist liberal newspaper is laughable.
Old August 26 2012, 06:35 PM   #28
the G-man
Commodore

So you think it enhances their credibility to acknowledge a problem that doesn't exist? Ohhhhkayyy....
Old August 26 2012, 06:38 PM   #29
sidious618
Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
So you think it enhances their credibility to acknowledge a problem that doesn't exist? Ohhhhkayyy....
It's called free speech. One of the editors has a problem with the newspaper and they allowed him to speak on the issue. The paper believes he's wrong but they're respectable enough to allow him to speak on it anyway. How is this at all hard to understand?
Old August 26 2012, 06:42 PM   #30
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

TV News is just a bunch of sensational soundbites, one right after another, but carefully arranged around the teasers before the commercial breaks.