Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old August 25 2012, 08:39 PM   #1
FredH
Captain

nuPike

Seeing the '09 film again: Whether as a film or on TV, I would much rather watch a series starring Bruce Greenwood's Pike than Pine's Kirk. Greenwood's performance (and Pike's dialogue) is much more, well, commanding--and honestly, more reminiscent of early-TOS Kirk!

Obviously, that's not the franchise's direction, but I do wish it were.
FredH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Shatinator
Commander

Re: nuPike

FredH wrote: View Post
Seeing the '09 film again: Whether as a film or on TV, I would much rather watch a series starring Bruce Greenwood's Pike than Pine's Kirk. Greenwood's performance (and Pike's dialogue) is much more, well, commanding--and honestly, more reminiscent of early-TOS Kirk!

To this day I oppose Chris Pine's portrayal of JTK.

I am sure Chris Pine is a nice guy and a accomplished actor-but I really find his portrayal as unmoving.

Old August 26 2012, 12:40 AM   #3
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

FWIW, Bruce Greenwood's Admiral Pike is returning in the next film.
Old August 26 2012, 03:33 AM   #4
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

FredH wrote: View Post

Since Pike in the film is a seasoned commander and not guy fresh out of the academy, this shouldn't be surprising.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 03:46 AM   #5
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Chris Pine has only got the chance to play Kirk as a hothead and a troublemaker. We haven't seen him grow into the Kirk we're used to seeing. That's for the next couple of films. I don't really see anything that would prevent nuKirk from being just as noble as KirkPrime was.

As for nuPike? Since he's avoided the accident that permanently crippled him in the original timeline, I'd say he has potential to be even greater than the original Pike ever was. Pike could be the Starfleet C-in-C by ST XII.
Old August 26 2012, 04:09 AM   #6
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

I like both Pike's, and I'm glad that Pike is coming back for the sequel. I liked Chris Pine as Kirk too. I don't think anyone could have done a better job, FWIW. I don't think they wrote Kirk the same as in the prime time line, so I wonder if that's what might be bothering people. Anyway, Kirk worked for me, and so I've got no complaints.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 02:05 PM   #7
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Spock/Uhura Fan wrote: View Post
I like both Pike's, and I'm glad that Pike is coming back for the sequel. I liked Chris Pine as Kirk too. I don't think anyone could have done a better job, FWIW. I don't think they wrote Kirk the same as in the prime time line, so I wonder if that's what might be bothering people. Anyway, Kirk worked for me, and so I've got no complaints.
Yea, I think some people are looking at the first movie as who Kirk is during TOS, but, it's actually a prequel to where he is in TOS. This second movie is more likely to end by giving us a Kirk closer to TOS beginning (In terms of experience and leadership skills). Where No Man Has Gone Before was not his first mission with the crew and ship, he was already settled into the position of Captain of The Enterprise when TOS began.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 08:40 PM   #8
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
Pike could be the Starfleet C-in-C by ST XII.
Which means he unfortuneately will be off the screen the majority of the time.

I liked Chris Pine as Kirk too. I don't think anyone could have done a better job, FWIW.
I could probably reel off quite a few names of actors who could have done a better job portraying James Kirk than Pine. People more professionally trained, experienced, and talented. One of the consideration on hiring Pine was that he was a young actor on his way up, and they could get him for the money they did. Someone like Matt Damon or James Marsden might have been a financial impossibility, but would have been much better in the role given their superior acting abilities.

You don't think anyone could have done a better job?

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 09:44 PM   #9
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

"Matt Damon"? "Superior acting abilities"? In the same sentence??

Old August 27 2012, 12:26 AM   #10
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Yea, I think some people are looking at the first movie as who Kirk is during TOS, but, it's actually a prequel to where he is in TOS. This second movie is more likely to end by giving us a Kirk closer to TOS beginning (In terms of experience and leadership skills). Where No Man Has Gone Before was not his first mission with the crew and ship, he was already settled into the position of Captain of The Enterprise when TOS began.
Agreed.

T'Girl wrote: View Post
I liked Chris Pine as Kirk too. I don't think anyone could have done a better job, FWIW.
I could probably reel off quite a few names of actors who could have done a better job portraying James Kirk than Pine. People more professionally trained, experienced, and talented. One of the consideration on hiring Pine was that he was a young actor on his way up, and they could get him for the money they did. Someone like Matt Damon or James Marsden might have been a financial impossibility, but would have been much better in the role given their superior acting abilities.

I really like Matt Damon and James Mardsen, and I have no doubt that they would have given great performances, but here's where I see an issue: Chemistry. Each time I try to take Pine out and insert one of them, I just can't imagine the same chemistry that Pine had with the rest of the cast, and taking that into consideration is a part of good casting too, not just acting abilities.

You don't think anyone could have done a better job?

Lol.

I think there are some people that could have done just as well, but if Pine works out, then why bother? I think it also helps that, while I like Kirk and care about his story, I'm not deeply interested in him.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 08:33 PM   #11
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Matt Damon is Matt Damon. He's too identifiable as himself to have taken over Kirk. It made more sense to go with a little-known actor who came with no baggage. Anyway, Damon would have been 39 in 2009 and while he looks younger than his years, he still looks too old to play a fresh-from-the-academy Kirk.

Pine was fine.
Old August 28 2012, 03:38 AM   #12
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

If the movie had been set right after TOS, Damon would have been the right age for Kirk.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 03:25 PM   #13
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Didn't it actually emerge that, rather than chasing him for Jim Kirk, JJ and Co actually wanted Matt to play George Kirk? Again, though, I think Chris Hemsworth made a great impression in that role and, given how little-known he was at the time, he didn't distract from or overshadow the character.
Old August 28 2012, 04:06 PM   #14
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

^ No, as far as I know Matt Damon was only ever considered for JIM Kirk, not George.
Old August 28 2012, 08:44 PM   #15
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^Nope, I knew I didn't imagine this.

http://trekmovie.com/2009/11/23/chri...n-of-the-year/

Abrams: I went to Damon for the role of Kirk’s father, and he declined in the most gracious and understandable and logical of reasons. We lucked out with Chris Hemsworth, and he did a great job. Maybe it would have been distracting to have someone as massively famous as Matt Damon in that role. … The decision was made very early on to have actors who were not necessarily the most famous but the most right for the role.