RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,668
Members: 24,821
Currently online: 407
Newest member: SB118_Laxyn

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 22 2012, 08:10 PM   #211
Scotty
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post
Scotty wrote: View Post

People here have been complaining in particular about Haven and 1100101 sounding like comng from a tincan. I'm just saying that I did not have that experience. Yes some lines of dialogue and occasional scenes have an echo (which needs to be corrected). But some people say they hear it all the time. That simply is not the case and I still believe that some viewers are mistaking 80s soundrecording for bad remastering or authoring.
You can only hear those issues on those episodes if you connect your Blu-ray player DIRECTLY to your HDTV (no receiver) and the main DTD-HD audio is downmixed to 2.0. If you are listening in 5.1 or 7.1 with a receiver, it will sound essentially balanced across the front soundstage and the echo and/or muffling CAN NOT be heard.
Thanks for clearing that up. Obviously that should not happening. In that case viewers should be swithing to the 2.0 track.
Old August 22 2012, 08:32 PM   #212
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

Maxwell Everett wrote: View Post

People here have been complaining in particular about Haven and 1100101 sounding like comng from a tincan. I'm just saying that I did not have that experience. Yes some lines of dialogue and occasional scenes have an echo (which needs to be corrected). But some people say they hear it all the time. That simply is not the case and I still believe that some viewers are mistaking 80s soundrecording for bad remastering or authoring.
You can only hear those issues on those episodes if you connect your Blu-ray player DIRECTLY to your HDTV (no receiver) and the main DTS-HD audio is downmixed to 2.0. If you are listening in 5.1 or 7.1 with a receiver, it will sound essentially balanced across the front soundstage and the echo and/or muffling CAN NOT be heard.
Thanks for clearing that up. Obviously that should not happening. In that case viewers should be swithing to the 2.0 track.
Problem is, the 2.0 is lossy Dolby Digital 2.0 (192kbps)... people -- such as myself -- would prefer to listen to the main lossless audio at 5034 kbps! Thankfully, CBS appears to be fixing the issue.
Old August 22 2012, 11:53 PM   #213
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

The issue lies with the extended codecs used for DTS-HD, since the core DTS track is fine, if it does exist.

And my surround system was a top of the line model ten years ago. But I am finding that, since I'm watching the discs on a PS3 hooked upto my Yamaha system by Digital Optical which is only sending the core DTS codec (at a bit rate of 1.536 MB per second), and I usually watch all my stuff this way, with my TV receiving the video via HDMI. But I tried the audio from the HDMI (which, as far as I can tell my PS3 is sending the signal in PCM 2.0) and I did hear some muffling and echo of the audio, but that is usual when I play back other DVD's and Blu-Rays that only have a multi-channel track and get down converted too a 2-channel mix.

But my TV also outputs that HDMI audio signal over the digital coax (by PCM) and when I try the audio in a surround mix, that is the only time that I pick up any really audio change, or even the "tin can" effect. But that's because the signal's getting digitally mixed from a 7.1 source down to a 2.0 mix with no fine tuning.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 01:00 AM   #214
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

tomswift2002 wrote: View Post
But I tried the audio from the HDMI (which, as far as I can tell my PS3 is sending the signal in PCM 2.0) and I did hear some muffling and echo of the audio, but that is usual when I play back other DVD's and Blu-Rays that only have a multi-channel track and get down converted too a 2-channel mix.
Can you list some other titles... I'd like to try out some other movies or TV shows that have this 5.1/7.1>2.0 problem.
Old August 23 2012, 02:03 AM   #215
tomswift2002
Fleet Captain

Let's see I've noticed it on

Batman'89 (both early 2000's double sided DVD and the Special Edition DVD - haven't tested the Blu-ray, but it probably has the same sound)

Babylon 5/Crusade (any episode)

Goldeneye

Dick Tracy (1990 film)

Home Alone 3

The Love Bug

It's because the players don't mix the multi-tracks down correctly, and each single multi-track channel is a mono channel, so the balance's are way off.
tomswift2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 08:55 PM   #216
Pindar
Rear Admiral

View Pindar's Twitter Profile

Hmm, I just got an email from PHE telling me their is a problem with the TNG discs and I should contact them with my purchasing details and they will tell me how to ge replacements. This doesn't fill me with confidence as I already did this, which is how they had my details to contact me. Has anyone else had this email?
Pindar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 01:35 PM   #217
cbspock
Rear Admiral

Anyone know if they have started sending out the replacement discs yet?

-Chris
Old August 24 2012, 02:08 PM   #218
picard_2305
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Pindar wrote: View Post
Hmm, I just got an email from PHE telling me their is a problem with the TNG discs and I should contact them with my purchasing details and they will tell me how to ge replacements. This doesn't fill me with confidence as I already did this, which is how they had my details to contact me. Has anyone else had this email?
Called the number up and as I thought it is regarding the ones who bought it in the stores. The man on the phone, Ricky, said that the ones who got it through Amazon and Play have to do nothing. He also said that the stock has left the warehouse and should be with suppliers by next week.
picard_2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 06:10 PM   #219
NewHorizon
Captain

picard_2305 wrote: View Post
Called the number up and as I thought it is regarding the ones who bought it in the stores. The man on the phone, Ricky, said that the ones who got it through Amazon and Play have to do nothing. He also said that the stock has left the warehouse and should be with suppliers by next week.
Spoke to a representative at Amazon today and now they are apparently being instructed to 'not' exchange defective sets. So I have to send back the replacement set they sent to me that wasn't fixed, pay for the shipping, they'll reimburse me...and then they'll decide whether or not to give me a new set. What a muck up.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 08:55 PM   #220
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

NewHorizon wrote: View Post
picard_2305 wrote: View Post
Spoke to a representative at Amazon today and now they are apparently being instructed to 'not' exchange defective sets. So I have to send back the replacement set they sent to me that wasn't fixed, pay for the shipping, they'll reimburse me...and then they'll decide whether or not to give me a new set. What a muck up.
Sounds more like a fumble with Amazon. And why pay for shipping? Can't Amazon set-up the printout return label they do for all exchanges/returns?
Old August 26 2012, 10:28 PM   #221
NewHorizon
Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Sounds more like a fumble with Amazon. And why pay for shipping? Can't Amazon set-up the printout return label they do for all exchanges/returns?
For whatever reason, the first person I spoke to, the one who ended up sending me the same set that I already had, was supposed to send me a pre-paid print out label...but like everything else they did, they screwed it up. lol

The last rep I spoke to wasn't able to change the status on the return (computer system wouldn't let her) so I have to send it back on my own dime and they will reimburse me upon receipt.
NewHorizon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 09:09 AM   #222
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

^That stinks. Looks like Amazon is dropping the ball too.
Old August 27 2012, 07:49 PM   #223
Jeyl
Commodore

Update from thedigitalbits.com.

we've gotten word that shipments of CBS's fixed Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season One Blu-rays have been pushed into early September. The reason is that it seems one of the episodes on Disc Five was found to be missing a visual effect, so that's being fixed as well. We'll let you know when shipments start hitting the mail.

So the Heart of Glory phaser blast will be added back in, but will the Star base approach lights be fixed in 11001001?
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 07:54 PM   #224
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Update from thedigitalbits.com.

we've gotten word that shipments of CBS's fixed Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season One Blu-rays have been pushed into early September. The reason is that it seems one of the episodes on Disc Five was found to be missing a visual effect, so that's being fixed as well. We'll let you know when shipments start hitting the mail.

So the Heart of Glory phaser blast will be added back in, but will the Star base approach lights be fixed in 11001001?
At this point, why not just recall the entire set. I mean now it's 4 discs out of 6 and that's most of the set anyway. All this talk about replacing just discs and how some people are getting a replacement set and some are just getting discs just strikes me as this being a very unorganized process. I would much prefer to just replace the whole set and have them fix everything. Also, if that means the Season season won't be released until next year, than so be it. Just as long as they get it right.
Old August 27 2012, 08:45 PM   #225
MickJo1701
Commander

If they are fixing the missing phaser blast what about the ship shots in EaF and Code of Honour that were found later??? they have to replace Disk 1 anyway.
MickJo1701 is offline   Reply With Quote