Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old August 24 2012, 08:14 PM   #1
tmosler
Lieutenant Commander

is star trek DS9 best star trek series

Hi i resently got done watching all the DS9 episodes and without a doubt it is my favorite star trek series along with the original series. So i was surprised when I went online and read on some fourms that a lot of people think its the worst series. I just wanted to see what people here think.
tmosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 05:52 AM   #2
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Re: is star trek DS9 best star trek series

Really? Well, I haven't seen that, thank goodness. Where did you go?

Btw, to answer your question, for me it's a YES! I haven't seen all of all of them so all I can say is that it's a yes so far. I started watching it, and I just kept going. That hasn't happened with any other Trek series so far.

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 05:54 AM   #3
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

I've never seen anyone but one-series folk say it was "the worst".

Forget about those idiots tmosler. On this forum it is highly and near universally respected

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 05:55 AM   #4
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

And you heard it from and Admiral, so it must be true!

“The history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.” - Virginia Woolf
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 06:43 AM   #5
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Some people do think DS9 is a "betrayal" of Roddenberry's vision of Star Trek and don't give it the time of day. That's their opinion.

I personally think it's the best of all the Trek series. There's drama, conflict and the human condition is really explored in a way that none of the other series do. To say nothing of excellent story arcs and character devolopment. Just watch Emissary and What you Leave Behind back to back for a reminder of how everyone really changed and grew over those seven years.
Old August 25 2012, 08:26 AM   #6
Saito S
Fleet Captain

Location: a world of keyboards, camaraderie, and caffeine. aka Nano 2014
Send a message via AIM to Saito S

I think it is, personally.

It still has flaws, and I've come to see more of them as time goes on. But it's still one of my favorite TV shows, and definitely the best Trek series, just edging out TNG for me.

R. Star wrote: View Post
Just watch Emissary and What you Leave Behind back to back for a reminder of how everyone really changed and grew over those seven years.
You know what's an absolute trip?

Though it ended up being much more heavily serialized than other Trek shows, that wasn't really the plan for DS9 from day one. Sure, they maybe wanted to have more story arcs than TOS or TNG, but during the first season, no one on the production or writing staff had any idea that we were going to end up with the Dominion War, and the Pah-Wraiths, and that Sisko and Dukat were going to end up developing this intertwining, multi-leveled adversarial relationship (and sometimes decidedly NOT adversarial, which made it even more interesting... their relationship was, above all else, complex), with episodes like "Waltz", ultimately all leading to the big fire cave scene in "What You Leave Behind."

NONE of that was planned out.

But having finished the series, knowing what you know, go back to "Emissary", to the scene where Dukat and Sisko first meet.

It's totally filmed like they DID have it all planned out.

From the way the music fades out when Dukat slowly, dramatically steps through the doorway to Sisko's office, to the way the camera stays zoomed way in on his face when he says, "Good day, Commander", followed by a dramatic pause from Sisko before replying, "Gul Dukat."

It's incredible to watch this scene after having seen the whole series, knowing what happens between these two characters. It's almost hard to believe it WASN'T all planned out.
Old August 25 2012, 09:31 AM   #7
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Yeah, I like to call that backshadowing Saito S! It really amps up season one when you watch it that way.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 03:02 PM   #8
tmosler
Lieutenant Commander

thank you everyone for your comments. Is nice to see a lot of people like the series like I do.
tmosler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 03:16 PM   #9
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Although it has some great moments, DS9 is my least favourite Trek. It's just so.... drab. And brown.

And the Bajorans. Ugh.
Old August 25 2012, 03:19 PM   #10
MacLeod
Admiral

It all depends on where you go, but most polls of ST fans I've seen generally place DSN towards the top end. Certainly no lower than number 3 behind TOS and TNG.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 05:37 AM   #11
heavylids
Lieutenant Commander

Yes, it's the best. Never heard someone say it's the worst. Probably, because ENT is by far the worst Trek series.
Old August 29 2012, 01:44 PM   #12
Xhiandra
Lieutenant Commander

Personally, I'm torn on DS9.

On one hand, it is quite conflctual with Roddenberry's ideals.
On the other hand, there are quite a few good characters and stories in there, if you ignore the religious/anti-humanist propaganda (and the Bajorans).

DS9 is basically the converse of VOY: VOY tried to build upon TOS/TNG, but was poorly executed; DS9 deliberately went against TOS/TNG, but received such quality execution that it just cannot be overlooked.
In the end, it's not the best, it's not the worst; it's middle of the pack and, like all Trek series, has great episodes and terrible episodes.
Xhiandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 06:14 PM   #13
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral

heavylids wrote: View Post
Yes, it's the best. Never heard someone say it's the worst. Probably, because ENT is by far the worst Trek series.
My late friend Steve hated DS9 because it was too serialized. He just hate serialized tv shows.
Old August 30 2012, 12:54 AM   #14
Bumbles861
Admiral

I don't know if it is the 'best', but it is certainly up there. A couple of the reasons I enjoyed it so much was the serialization and the fact it broke some boundries. I wanted to invest my time in these people and have rewatched the series several times. Never disappointing. Carry on with the books.
Bumbles861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30 2012, 10:39 PM   #15
Photon
Commodore

tmosler wrote: View Post
Hi i resently got done watching all the DS9 episodes and without a doubt it is my favorite star trek series along with the original series. So i was surprised when I went online and read on some fourms that a lot of people think its the worst series. I just wanted to see what people here think.
Yeah, duh
Photon is offline   Reply With Quote