RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,143
Posts: 5,401,952
Members: 24,748
Currently online: 426
Newest member: ChrisCrash

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 24 2012, 08:37 PM   #1
The Overlord
Captain
 
Khan, Picard and the theme of revenge

Would you say there some similarities between Khan in Wrath of Khan and Picard in First Contact? Both of them wanted revenge on another party for they felt had wronged them and both of them lost their sense of perspective over the course of the film. The key difference of course is Picard came to his senses near the end, while Khan was unwilling to give up on his quest for revenge. So how do you think the theme of revenge compares in both Wrath of Khan and First Contact?
The Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 10:30 PM   #2
sonak
Vice Admiral
 
Location: in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
Re: Khan, Picard and the theme of revenge

The Overlord wrote: View Post
Would you say there some similarities between Khan in Wrath of Khan and Picard in First Contact? Both of them wanted revenge on another party for they felt had wronged them and both of them lost their sense of perspective over the course of the film. The key difference of course is Picard came to his senses near the end, while Khan was unwilling to give up on his quest for revenge. So how do you think the theme of revenge compares in both Wrath of Khan and First Contact?

some key differences: Khan's revenge was focused on an actual person, while Picard's was focused on a more faceless, impersonal enemy.

Picard's desire for revenge was justified considering the Borg kidnapped and violated him. Khan on the other hand tried to take over Kirk's ship, then later blamed him for a freak astronomical occurence.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 10:46 PM   #3
CorporalClegg
Admiral
 
CorporalClegg's Avatar
 
Location: Where my heart is.
Re: Khan, Picard and the theme of revenge

For one, they both delivered them ham on a silver platter with overwritten speeches at the end of their films.
__________________
Konnichi wa!
CorporalClegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 07:46 AM   #4
M-Red
Lieutenant Commander
 
M-Red's Avatar
 
Re: Khan, Picard and the theme of revenge

Nope.


Khan initiated the fight unnecessarily. JLP reacted defensively to events beyond his control.


Picard's was a defensive rage. The Borg attacked once again, and he was finally backed into the last corner where he couldn't take it anymore. Given the stakes, one more retreat was not acceptable.


Khan's was an aggressive rage. Kirk wasn't an immediate threat, but he sought out and then launched a surprise attack on the Enterprise. He could have taken the Reliant and zoomed off into seclusion. Instead, he hunted Kirk.


Only superficially is there a parallel motivation. The historical contexts and the events surrounding the decision making processes for the two individuals are different.
M-Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 09:31 AM   #5
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Khan, Picard and the theme of revenge

You can tell a Star Trek character is on a quest for revenge when they start quoting Moby Dick.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 10:11 AM   #6
R. Star
Rear Admiral
 
R. Star's Avatar
 
Location: Shangri-La
Re: Khan, Picard and the theme of revenge

They both took very different roads toward revenge. You can argue justification all you want, it really is an opinion. Khan certainly thought he was justied after all.

The common theme between the two really was the desire for revenge leading to self-destruction.
__________________
"I was never a Star Trek fan." J.J. Abrams
R. Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 08:14 AM   #7
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Khan, Picard and the theme of revenge

More Khan and Nero, than Khan and Picard.

Both have a dead wife they have to revenge.
Both blame a Starfleet officer for their own personal problems.
Both use those earwig things to control folks.
Both wore grunge-club clothing.
Both laid their hands on a super weapon that was developed in the Federation.
Both were "imprisoned" for a protracted period of time (Ceti Alpha/Klingon prison).

And both failed to saved their wives, Khan was unable, and Nero simply forgot to beam her off of Romulus.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2012, 08:17 PM   #8
SimpleLogic
Guest
 
Re: Khan, Picard and the theme of revenge

If you prick us do we not bleed? If you tickle us do we not laugh? If you poison us do we not die? And if you wrong us shall we not revenge? -Merchant of Venice (Act III Scene I)

Star Trek has always tried to be Shakespearean in their themes, like most movies, so I think it came off great in both of those movies.
  Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 02:25 AM   #9
Xaios
Lieutenant Commander
 
Xaios's Avatar
 
Re: Khan, Picard and the theme of revenge

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
You can tell a Star Trek character is on a quest for revenge when they start quoting Moby Dick.
That guy who asked Gillian in Star Trek IV if whales eat people like in Moby Dick...

OUT FOR VENGEANCE.
Xaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 08:14 PM   #10
Maple Dog
Lieutenant Commander
 
Maple Dog's Avatar
 
Location: Montreal Canada
Re: Khan, Picard and the theme of revenge

Khan was stranded on a planet with his crew for many years,and lost his wife,Picard was assimilated for a short period.
__________________
MapleDog's Blog
Maple Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2012, 08:16 PM   #11
Maple Dog
Lieutenant Commander
 
Maple Dog's Avatar
 
Location: Montreal Canada
Re: Khan, Picard and the theme of revenge

T'Girl wrote: View Post
More Khan and Nero, than Khan and Picard.

Both have a dead wife they have to revenge.
Both blame a Starfleet officer for their own personal problems.
Both use those earwig things to control folks.
Both wore grunge-club clothing.
Both laid their hands on a super weapon that was developed in the Federation.
Both were "imprisoned" for a protracted period of time (Ceti Alpha/Klingon prison).

And both failed to saved their wives, Khan was unable, and Nero simply forgot to beam her off of Romulus.

Wan't Nero away when Romulus was destroyed?
__________________
MapleDog's Blog
Maple Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 12:52 AM   #12
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Khan, Picard and the theme of revenge

Maple Dog wrote: View Post
T'Girl wrote: View Post
And both failed to saved their wives, Khan was unable, and Nero simply forgot to beam her off of Romulus.
Wan't Nero away when Romulus was destroyed?
The destruction of Romulus didn't come out of nowhere, there was time for government discussion on what to do, time for Spock to travel to Vulcan, acquire a ship with red matter, and return to the Empire.

It is unclear how much was general known by the Romulan people, however Nero was able to be in the vicinity of the supernova immediately after Romulus's destruction, to intercept Spock.

Nero isn't responsible for the destruction of Romulus, but he is (imo) culpable in the death of his wife, in so far as he did nothing to save her.

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 01:49 AM   #13
Maple Dog
Lieutenant Commander
 
Maple Dog's Avatar
 
Location: Montreal Canada
Re: Khan, Picard and the theme of revenge

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Maple Dog wrote: View Post
T'Girl wrote: View Post
And both failed to saved their wives, Khan was unable, and Nero simply forgot to beam her off of Romulus.
Wan't Nero away when Romulus was destroyed?
The destruction of Romulus didn't come out of nowhere, there was time for government discussion on what to do, time for Spock to travel to Vulcan, acquire a ship with red matter, and return to the Empire.

It is unclear how much was general known by the Romulan people, however Nero was able to be in the vicinity of the supernova immediately after Romulus's destruction, to intercept Spock.

Nero isn't responsible for the destruction of Romulus, but he is (imo) culpable in the death of his wife, in so far as he did nothing to save her.

They did not say if the Narada has transporters aboard,or shuttles to come in or out,i guess since its a mining ship,its primary fonction was mining,
__________________
MapleDog's Blog
Maple Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 03:43 AM   #14
Mars
Captain
 
Re: Khan, Picard and the theme of revenge

sonak wrote: View Post
The Overlord wrote: View Post
Would you say there some similarities between Khan in Wrath of Khan and Picard in First Contact? Both of them wanted revenge on another party for they felt had wronged them and both of them lost their sense of perspective over the course of the film. The key difference of course is Picard came to his senses near the end, while Khan was unwilling to give up on his quest for revenge. So how do you think the theme of revenge compares in both Wrath of Khan and First Contact?

some key differences: Khan's revenge was focused on an actual person, while Picard's was focused on a more faceless, impersonal enemy.

Picard's desire for revenge was justified considering the Borg kidnapped and violated him. Khan on the other hand tried to take over Kirk's ship, then later blamed him for a freak astronomical occurence.
That was sort of arbitrary, as in an old western when the hero leaves town, he kicks up a pebble which startles a rat that scurries a way getting into the horses feeding trough causing the horse to rear and buck knocking down the post supporting the saloon which collapses, killing Bad Bart's wife and child, now Bad Bart swears he'll get revenge on those heroes leaving town if that is the last thing he'll do!
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2012, 06:26 PM   #15
T'Girl
Vice Admiral
 
T'Girl's Avatar
 
Re: Khan, Picard and the theme of revenge

Maple Dog wrote: View Post
They did not say if the Narada has transporters aboard,or shuttles to come in or out,i guess since its a mining ship,its primary fonction was mining,
Spock was placed on the surface of Delta Vega how?

T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
khan, picard

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.