Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old August 24 2012, 07:53 AM   #1
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

My Trek Through Enterprise

Hello,

Iíve decided to watch season one of Enterprise to see if I feel any different toward this show than I did before, which was rather indifferent. Iíve only ever watched a few episodes, and that was so long ago, I canít remember any of them.

So, why am I only mentioning season one in the thread title? Well, I tried watching TNG season one late last year/early this year, and I only got through about half of the episodes before I stopped. It just wasnít clicking for me like it had when I watched it as a kid. That could be because what Iíd seen of that show was in its latter seasons when it was better, or at least thatís what I heard. I may try watching season seven to see how it ends later on this yearÖ

Having had my season one experience with TNG, which was far more popular than Enterprise, Iíve decided not to commit myself to more than I can do. So Iím going to watch season one, and if by chance I like it, Iíll start a thread for season two.

Iíll post my thoughts on each episode and maybe rate them using letter grades. I hope anyone interested will join in with their thoughts too.

So, without further ado, onward to episode one!

ďThe history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.Ē - Virginia Woolf

Last edited by HopefulRomantic; November 13 2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: request by OP
Spock/Uhura Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 08:02 AM   #2
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.
Re: My Trek Through Enterprise: Season One

Season 3 and 4 of Enterprise are markedly different. If you do get bored with Season 1 (it is quite pedestrian) you could always skip to the end of Season 2 and watch from there. Season 3 is one long story arc.

EDIT: But it LOOKS better than Season 1 TNG.. oh does it ever look better

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 08:13 AM   #3
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Episode One: Broken Bow

Well, the introductory music was not nearly as irritating as I remember it being. It actually pairs nicely with the seriesí scenes it follows during the opening credits. Iíll start off with my first impressions of the characters:

Archer: I liked the scenes with him as a boy and the shuttle footage with Trip. I got my first feel for the character when heís upset about the Vulcans killing a Klingon warrior by terminating his life support on the Klingon governmentís orders. My initial impression wasnít a good one. I think the ambassador was correct when he said not to push human values off on Klingons (even though Archerís solution was the right one), and I also didnít like the way Archer seemed to want to run the show and not hear anyone else out at first. TíPol says not to be volatile, and he responds by saying that heís restraining himself from knocking her on her ass. Not good. Then he seemed kind of smug when he got a rise out of the ambassador. I liked him a little more as the episode went on, and thatís a plus.

TíPol: I havenít made up my mind yet. I donít think Iíve seen enough. She seems a little moody, though, but that could be because she didnít want to be there in the first place. I suspect it has something to do with the superiority complex she seems to have from the Vulcans inhabiting/leading Earth for 90 years (?).

Trip: So far, so good. He seems kind and laid back. Thatís nice.

Hoshi: Right now, Iím indifferent. I do like the fact that she seemed able to sense the ship being boarded when no one else did.

The Alien Doctor: I donít know his name yet, but heís a little annoying. Maybe itís his enthusiasm or something; I canít quite put my finger on it.

Other crew: So far, so good.

Now, Iíll move on to my first impressions of the series:

Well, the first thing that seemed kind of odd was the look of the Klingon that Archer argues to save. He looks like the Klingons in the TNG/DS9 era, and not like the early version that was featured in the TOS era. That was interestingÖ The invader aliens seemed interesting. I think it was bad that no one immediately went to the patient to guard him and thatís how he got taken with no struggle. I know they were in the room and it was dark, but stillÖ

It didnít make sense to me why TíPol told them about Rigel (sp?) 10 just because the Klingon said the word Rigel when he was talking gibberish. If she wanted them to go back the Earth like she said, giving them information so they could get there didnít make any sense unless she changed her mind. Even still, she said she wasnít authorized to give that information, but she gave it anyway. Then Archer threatens her for doing that. I donít know. It just all seemed a little interesting.

The episode ends well enough for me to want to see the next episode to find out how things conclude. I like the part where TíPol tells Trip to learn when to interfere because the little boyís mother was actually helping him. It seems that she has taken an interest in helping them after all.

Grade: C

ďThe history of men's opposition to women's emancipation is more interesting perhaps than the story of that emancipation itself.Ē - Virginia Woolf
Old August 24 2012, 08:17 AM   #4
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
Season 3 and 4 of Enterprise are markedly different. If you do get bored with Season 1 (it is quite pedestrian) you could always skip to the end of Season 2 and watch from there. Season 3 is one long story arc.

EDIT: But it LOOKS better than Season 1 TNG.. oh does it ever look better
Oh, it does look better. It does. Thanks for the information about seasons 3 and 4. If I feel like it's too weighed down, I'll do that. Then, I'll work on season one of Voyager. That's far off in the distance, though.

Old August 24 2012, 08:18 AM   #5
teacake
Admiral

I think Broken Bow is the best pilot of all the series.

TNG: Beyond terrible, embarrassing.
DS9: I found it personally meaningful but really it's a bit clunky.
VOY: Anything with a banjo loses major points. Exciting in it's own way though.

Broken Bow is just a much tighter package than the others IMO.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne

Last edited by teacake; August 24 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old August 24 2012, 08:26 AM   #6
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

I'd think Broken Bow is the best pilot of all the series.

Well, I agree with you about TNG. That was not a good start, lol. I love the DS9 opener, but I do have to concede that it wasn't riveting. It's a little slow in parts, so I think I get what you mean by clunky. I never saw the Voyager opening, so it's good that show was more episodic than DS9 for me. And, I can't say anything about ENT's opener until I see the rest of it. So, I'll get back to you on that.

Old August 24 2012, 08:34 AM   #7
teacake
Admiral

Oh and Welcome to the ENT forum Spock/Uhura Fan! This is a very friendly forum

btw I loved the Spock/Uhura romance though I've many years of K/S history.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 24 2012, 08:43 AM   #8
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I'd think Broken Bow is the best pilot of all the series.

What do you have against Banjos. They were on a farm so the whole idea of the old "banjo" man made sense in the context.
Old August 24 2012, 08:52 AM   #9
teacake
Admiral

Yes well, let's not get started on the farm..

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 24 2012, 09:30 AM   #10
Skywalker
Admiral

Cut the Temporal Cold War references, turn the Suliban into Orions working for a mysterious Romulan from the future (though we wouldn't know that right away), and have T'Pol remain on Enterprise due to political pressures and not because Archer asked her to stay, and "Broken Bow" would have been close to perfect. Alas...
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 09:44 AM   #11
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Oh and Welcome to the ENT forum Spock/Uhura Fan! This is a very friendly forum

btw I loved the Spock/Uhura romance though I've many years of K/S history.
Thanks for the kind welcome. We like the pairings and love stories that we like, and I have no problems with that.

---

@Skywalker

Every time I see your avatar, this comes to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo

Every. Single. Time.

Old August 24 2012, 10:03 AM   #12
lurok
Commodore

Welcome to another ENT/potential VOY convert I agree with both teacake and Skywalker. I was meh about Broken Bow first time I saw it and put me off ENT for years. So I'm a late convert. But better late than never. Now I'm a huge fan.
Old August 24 2012, 03:46 PM   #13
jespah
Commodore

View jespah's Twitter Profile

W00t! Welcome. I was pretty taken from the start but there's no doubt that Seasons 3 and 4 are the best, and there is quite a left turn in Season 3.

Broken Bow definitely gets things off with a bang. A lot of things are established at once - Vulcans have been on Earth for a century. And they've kept us back. Now we're going out there. And we might not be as well-prepared as we should be. But we might also be immature enough to shrug off assistance and instead see it as suppression (but we do have some precedent for that).

The alien doctor's name is Phlox. The other crew members are the pilot, Travis Mayweather and the Armory Officer, Malcolm Reed. Plus of course there are incidental crew members but these are the big players.

In Season 1, you'll also run into a Science crewman, Elizabeth Cutler. Other crew members are mainly one-offs.
jespah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 09:21 PM   #14
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

lurok wrote: View Post
Welcome to another ENT/potential VOY convert I agree with both teacake and Skywalker. I was meh about Broken Bow first time I saw it and put me off ENT for years. So I'm a late convert. But better late than never. Now I'm a huge fan.
Thank you for the kind welcome.

jespah wrote: View Post
W00t! Welcome. I was pretty taken from the start but there's no doubt that Seasons 3 and 4 are the best, and there is quite a left turn in Season 3.

Broken Bow definitely gets things off with a bang. A lot of things are established at once - Vulcans have been on Earth for a century. And they've kept us back. Now we're going out there. And we might not be as well-prepared as we should be. But we might also be immature enough to shrug off assistance and instead see it as suppression (but we do have some precedent for that).

The alien doctor's name is Phlox. The other crew members are the pilot, Travis Mayweather and the Armory Officer, Malcolm Reed. Plus of course there are incidental crew members but these are the big players.

In Season 1, you'll also run into a Science crewman, Elizabeth Cutler. Other crew members are mainly one-offs.
Thanks for the names and, consequently, how to spell them. You're the second person that mentioned seasons 3 and 4 are really good. I hope I agree. And thanks for the kind welcome.

Old August 24 2012, 09:28 PM   #15
Spock/Uhura Fan
Captain

Broken Bow, Part II

Now, on to the second half of the series opener. I liked the Soulabon (sp?) lady they met, and I was sorry to see that she died. Seeing the gel rub-down wasnít necessary, but I suppose itís useful for Trip and TíPolís bond building. Perhaps if it came later in the series when they are closer and have a clear attraction, it would have been better. And then it doesnít make sense to do a jelly rub-down with a tank top and pants on either. If they couldnít have gone in the chamber separately (and naked, the camera didnít need to show the private areas) to get completely sprayed with the cure because it doesnít come in aerosol form, then it makes more sense that they would have gone in, again, completely naked (wouldnít their clothes have been contaminated too, or does it not affect clothing?) to do the rub-down. Okay, enough about the rub-down.

The rescue mission was nice. Iím not sure that Hoshiís hearing can really be that good, but you never know. This makes me wonder if genetic engineering was something Earth did at that time; I think of Bashir on DS9. I started to feel better about Archer, and then it was the same by the end of the episode. He was smug again, knowing they had information about the Soulabons the Vulcanís didnít (outside of TíPol, whom without they couldnít have gotten it). That did change when he was along with TíPol, and I liked the fact that he owned up to his ďproblemsĒ with her; that was nice. I think they made TíPol fit in a little too easy and a little too fast, almost like she was a guest character and they didnít have an entire season to do this. It was a nice twist to have the information that made Klang so important in his DNA structure. I like DS9's opener better, but this was alright. Those are my thoughts.

Grade: C+