RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,387
Posts: 5,358,205
Members: 24,626
Currently online: 596
Newest member: suryaprabu02

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Prelude to Axanar Online Debut
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Warp 5.0: Trek Toward Sci-Fi’s Golden Anniversary
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Takei To Host Pittsburgh Symphony PNC Pops’ Sci-Fi Spectacular
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

Kurtzman In Mummy Talks
By: T'Bonz on Jul 31

The Gene Roddenberry Project Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Moore: No Deep Space Nine Regrets
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 23 2012, 07:27 PM   #46
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME
 
Squiggy's Avatar
 
Location: Not on your life, my Hindu friend.
View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy
Re: What are you reading?

It took me a year, but I finally finished The Power Broker. Reading Theodore Rex now.
__________________
ENOUGH OF THIS TURGID BASH WANKERY!
Squiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 07:35 PM   #47
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: What are you reading?

Snowlilly wrote: View Post
TorontoTrekker wrote: View Post
I just finished Changes, by Jim Butcher - it's the second-last Dresden Files book to date. (I just picked up the most recent, Ghost Story, last weekend.) I'm currently reading Building Harlequin's Moon, by Larry Niven and Brenda Cooper.

I have been wondering how those books are. I have not read them but watched a few of the episodes. I take it the books are better than the show?
I read the first on recommendation from a friend. It was fairly entertaining, and she is a huge fan (her sentiment is that the show is absolutely horrible, I've never seen it myself). When I read it I laughed hysterically through the climax, however, because it could easily be read as a lot of euphemisms for sex -- things like feeling all the tension in his muscles build until they shook, and it was finally released through his staff, but like, three pages of more and more ridiculous double entendre -- and apparently I can be about as mature as a twelve year old boy when I come across this kind of thing. I actually had tears I was laughing so hard. I started the second book but couldn't really get into it.
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 07:53 PM   #48
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting
 
macloudt's Avatar
 
Location: A Canuck in southwest England
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt
Re: What are you reading?

I visited the Sherlock Holmes museum in London earlier this week, so I'm on a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle kick. The Red-Headed League makes me laugh every time I read it.

I'm also reading The Sticklepath Strangler by Michael Jecks. Jecks has written a series of medieval murder mysteries set in the English county of Devon, where I live. If you enjoy Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael books you'll probably enjoy Jeck's books.
__________________
...if you got rid of all the autism genetics, you wouldn't have science or art. All you would have is bunch of social 'yak yaks'.--Temple Grandin
macloudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 05:53 AM   #49
ngc7293
Commander
 
ngc7293's Avatar
 
Location: Michigan
Re: What are you reading?

Currently reading (on my iPad) Star Trek: Titan #3 Orion's Hounds
I will read other Titan books or other Trek books until October when a certain Mercedes Lackey book comes out Book 4 of the Collegium Chronicles series.
After that, I might read another Mercedes Lackey, Valdamar series (I have read most of them)
__________________
Judy Waxhorn: "Lighbulb is shot can't see a damn thing. Prepare to trash the ship. LaForge, disable the warp-core protection system. Troi, take the helm. All hands, prepare for DRAMA."
ngc7293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 06:12 AM   #50
Snowlilly
Lieutenant
 
Snowlilly's Avatar
 
Location: The Frozen North
Re: What are you reading?

macloudt wrote: View Post
I visited the Sherlock Holmes museum in London earlier this week, so I'm on a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle kick. The Red-Headed League makes me laugh every time I read it.

I'm also reading The Sticklepath Strangler by Michael Jecks. Jecks has written a series of medieval murder mysteries set in the English county of Devon, where I live. If you enjoy Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael books you'll probably enjoy Jeck's books.
Oh wow, I love Cadfael. I will definitely have to add those books to my list. Sounds like something right up my alley! Thanks!

PS. I like your blog
Snowlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 06:25 AM   #51
TorontoTrekker
Vice Admiral
 
TorontoTrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: What are you reading?

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Snowlilly wrote: View Post
TorontoTrekker wrote: View Post
I just finished Changes, by Jim Butcher - it's the second-last Dresden Files book to date. (I just picked up the most recent, Ghost Story, last weekend.) I'm currently reading Building Harlequin's Moon, by Larry Niven and Brenda Cooper.

I have been wondering how those books are. I have not read them but watched a few of the episodes. I take it the books are better than the show?
I read the first on recommendation from a friend. It was fairly entertaining, and she is a huge fan (her sentiment is that the show is absolutely horrible, I've never seen it myself). When I read it I laughed hysterically through the climax, however, because it could easily be read as a lot of euphemisms for sex -- things like feeling all the tension in his muscles build until they shook, and it was finally released through his staff, but like, three pages of more and more ridiculous double entendre -- and apparently I can be about as mature as a twelve year old boy when I come across this kind of thing. I actually had tears I was laughing so hard. I started the second book but couldn't really get into it.
I enjoy them. They delve a lot more deeply into Harry's psyche, of course.

There were also a number of changes made for the TV show. In the books, Bob is a spirit - he has no body. That's not to disrespect Terrence Mann's performance - I thought he was wonderful - but Bob is different, as is Murphy, and there are a lot of other supporting characters whom we never saw on the show, and a very well-drawn history of the characters and the world they inhabit.
TorontoTrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 08:34 PM   #52
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting
 
macloudt's Avatar
 
Location: A Canuck in southwest England
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt
Re: What are you reading?

Snowlilly wrote: View Post
macloudt wrote: View Post
I visited the Sherlock Holmes museum in London earlier this week, so I'm on a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle kick. The Red-Headed League makes me laugh every time I read it.

I'm also reading The Sticklepath Strangler by Michael Jecks. Jecks has written a series of medieval murder mysteries set in the English county of Devon, where I live. If you enjoy Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael books you'll probably enjoy Jeck's books.
Oh wow, I love Cadfael. I will definitely have to add those books to my list. Sounds like something right up my alley! Thanks!

PS. I like your blog
Thank you.

Historical crime and mystery books are my favourite fiction genre. I love Susannah Gregory's books, too, which are set in Tudor times.
__________________
...if you got rid of all the autism genetics, you wouldn't have science or art. All you would have is bunch of social 'yak yaks'.--Temple Grandin
macloudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 10:21 PM   #53
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: What are you reading?

Speaking of crime authors, Patricia Cornwell writes some good books both fiction and true life. Her 2002 book on who she thinks was really Jack the Ripper(late 19th and early 20th century British artist Walter Sickert) is an amazing and engrossing read even if you don't necessarily buy her theory on the Ripper's actual identity.
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 11:15 PM   #54
macloudt
Shut up, I'm counting
 
macloudt's Avatar
 
Location: A Canuck in southwest England
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to macloudt
Re: What are you reading?

I must admit that I'm not much of a Cornell fan. I prefer Kathy Reichs, but that's just my personal taste.
__________________
...if you got rid of all the autism genetics, you wouldn't have science or art. All you would have is bunch of social 'yak yaks'.--Temple Grandin
macloudt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 09:51 AM   #55
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: What are you reading?

I just finished The Robber Hotzenplotz, which is a German children's book from about fifty years back (and was a gift from a friend in Germany) and am now back to an anthology by Howard Waldrop, who is an obscure-but-unique SF writer (who was recommended to me by Australis).
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards!
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 10:09 AM   #56
lurok
Commodore
 
lurok's Avatar
 
Location: Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
Re: What are you reading?

Just Kids next.
__________________
"Anál nathrach, orth’ bháis’s bethad, do chél dénmha"
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2012, 11:15 PM   #57
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Tora Ziyal's Avatar
 
Re: What are you reading?

Craig Johnson's As the Crow Flies, the most recent book in the Walt Longmire mystery series. Yes, the ones the new A&E show is based on. I enjoyed the first few books, but by now I'm bored.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 12:05 AM   #58
KimM
Rear Admiral
 
KimM's Avatar
 
Location: The poster formerly known as ORSE
Re: What are you reading?

trying to read James Joyces's Ullyses. An admittedly slow slog, I confess I'm beginning to suspect that a) my lit degree isn't worth crap, or b) betwixt the two of us, one of us has a personality disorder. should have started w/ Dubliners, I know. I don't even remember Portrait of the Artist As A Young Man.
__________________
Just one woman; doing what I can, with what I've got, where I'm at!
KimM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 12:24 AM   #59
C. Cole-Chakotay
Commodore
 
Location: With Cmdr. D. Chakotay
Re: What are you reading?

Emory's Gift by W. Bruce Cameron.
__________________
The Phantom of the Opera is in my mind.
"I am the Angel of Music....Come to the Angel of Music. Sing for me!!!"
"You will curse the day you did not do, all that the Phantom asked of you!"
Eulalia!!! Redwall!!
C. Cole-Chakotay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2012, 12:34 AM   #60
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: What are you reading?

I'm thinking of rereading part of the Warren Commission Report. All the recent Kennedy assassination documentaries I've been watching lately have me interested in going back to parts of the original Warren Report.
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.