Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 23 2012, 03:26 AM   #1
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

Perfect example of what they SHOULD have done with the TNG-R FX

Don't know why I can't get "embed" to work, so link will have to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Kk2...eature=related

Completely respectful of the style of the original FX with improved dynamism and production value.

This guy picked a good one to "redo"...Love the Ent-C/D vs Klingon fight in "Yesterday's Enterprise" in concept, but it was WAY limited by what they could afford to do with the models.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 03:49 AM   #2
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive
Re: Perfect example of what they SHOULD have done with the TNG-R FX

Have you somehow miraculously traveled to the future and brought back with you a copy of the TNG Season 3 Blu-Ray? Because unless you have, I don't see any reason why this video applies to how Paramount "Should" have done anything with the visual effects for the currently released Blu-Rays, nor why you would be complaining about them.
Old August 23 2012, 04:39 AM   #3
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

The announced "mission statement" for the remastering effort for TNG is to simply re-scan and re edit the original film elements exactly as originally presented, as opposed to rendering NEW scences and sequences as was done with TOS-R.

This is a missed opportunity, and the above video demonstrates how the FX could be substantially improved while remaining faithful to the tone and style of the show.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 04:46 AM   #4
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

First question: Have you bought the season one Blu-Ray set and watched it yet?

Second question: Has it occurred to you that perhaps this is being done this way to save money?

Re-scanning original elements may cost less and take less time to produce than hiring out a company to render all new CGI. Perhaps the season one Blu-Rays aren't making the crazy profit Paramount was hoping for/expecting and they've decided that since they've basically re-opened the show's post-production department to do this, they've already spent enough excessive amounts of money?
Old August 23 2012, 06:23 AM   #5
mswood
Rear Admiral

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
Don't know why I can't get "embed" to work, so link will have to do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9Kk2...eature=related

Completely respectful of the style of the original FX with improved dynamism and production value.

This guy picked a good one to "redo"...Love the Ent-C/D vs Klingon fight in "Yesterday's Enterprise" in concept, but it was WAY limited by what they could afford to do with the models.
Actually based on what we have seen so far, I think what we will get in the blu-ray will show considerably higher production value then that you tube video.

While I might like to see some of the generic flyby shots replaced with high quality CGI fx, CBS is already spending more on this project then any other tv show has ever had to be released on any home market, and I don't think CBS is going to spend the time or money to supply top of the line CGI work after all the other expenses they have. And most of the model work for this sequences isn't previously used footage, we might wish it had more movement, but it should actually still look extremely good.
Old August 23 2012, 02:40 PM   #6
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

No thanks.

I like the model work from the series.
Old August 23 2012, 02:41 PM   #7
Jefferies
Captain

I hope to God they end up disappointing the OP when they get round to season three. That youtube video is horrendous. The FX looks like something captured from Bridge Commander or somewhere like that. This stuff can't hold a candle to the remastered FX or even the SD FX for that matter.
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Start Wreck
Fleet Captain

Yeah, I don't think they should do this at all. They're remastering the series, not changing things (errors aside).
Start Wreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 04:31 PM   #9
bullethead
Fleet Captain

You know, as much as I like the improved fight choreography in the OP's video, they're not going to replace the VFX despite the myriad reasons for it (one of them being the fact that it would make the alternate Federation not look like retards like the original does). They don't have the time or money, nor the mindset to do it.
Old August 23 2012, 06:03 PM   #10
Mott the barber
Commodore

If the season 1 remastering is any indication, I think the HD models are gonna look better than the CGI in the original post. in fact, I'd bet on it.
Old August 23 2012, 06:12 PM   #11
Harvey
Admiral

So, let's get this straight...

-You want to crop the image to widescreen from it's original aspect ratio, ruining the composition of the shot.
-You want to replace the original model photography with mediocre-at-best computer generated visual effects -- effects that don't even bother to be any more visually dynamic than the originals.

What a horrible, awful idea. Thankfully, not one we'll have to witness, except via fan-made YouTube clips.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 06:21 PM   #12
Christopher
Writer

From what I've heard Mike Okuda say, money isn't the issue; they want to be as faithful as possible to the original episodes. If anything, I'd imagine that tracking down, remastering, and recompositing all the original bits of film that the FX shots were made from would be longer, harder, more involved work than creating all-CGI reconstructions, so I'm not sure any money is being saved.

As for that YouTube video, I don't see any material difference between the original shot choreography and this version.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 06:30 PM   #13
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

What they should have done for TOS-R: reshoot the sequences on film with real models. The CGI reconstruction just look way off. They don't fit into the episodes at all.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 06:59 PM   #14
davejames
Vice Admiral

Um, I don't get it. Except for the ships being CG, it looked like the pretty much the exact same sequence.

Why go through all the trouble to make this if you're not going to at least come up with some cool new shots and choreography?

I will admit, though, the episode looks pretty damn good in widescreen.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 08:16 PM   #15
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
As for that YouTube video, I don't see any material difference between the original shot choreography and this version.
Well quite, I was pretty baffled by the whole thing. Why bother if you're just going to replace the models with inferior CGI?

I actually don't think the battle needs to be more "dynamic" or exciting - the whole point is that the Enterprise-D is protecting her predecessor, taking the fire from the Klingons. If she were trying to defeat the enemy, I imagine there would be more evasive manoeuvres, but they would leave the Enterprise-C exposed and vulnerable to a couple of shots from the Klingons. Picard is essentially making his ship a sitting duck, as long as the Enterprise-C can get back into the rift.