RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,694
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 826
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old August 19 2012, 12:52 AM   #31
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: What do want to see from a new series

Romulus Prime wrote: View Post
A non-human captain.

And does the Captain always have to be the main character? Why not have a series that focuses on the 1st officer and how they go from 2nd in command to captain - what a potential for a story arc with that concept.

Bad idea.

You would always have the captain looking inflexible or downright stupid in order to focus on how great the first officer character is.

Last edited by BillJ; August 19 2012 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Terrible grammar!
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 04:04 AM   #32
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

BillJ wrote: View Post
A non-human captain.

And does the Captain always have to be the main character? Why not have a series that focuses on the 1st officer and how they go from 2nd in command to captain - what a potential for a story arc with that concept.

Bad idea.

You would always having the captain looking inflexible or downright stupid in order to focus on how great the first officer character is.
Hey, it works on cop shows.

"Damnit, Lieutenant. There's no room on this ship for mavericks who don't play by the rules. You're off the mission!"

"What's that, Captain? I can't read you. You're breaking up . . . ."
Old August 19 2012, 05:43 AM   #33
R. Star
Rear Admiral

A non-human captain.

Bad idea.

You would always have the captain looking inflexible or downright stupid in order to focus on how great the first officer character is.
So like Voyager in reverse?
Old August 19 2012, 05:57 AM   #34
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

A non-human captain.

Bad idea.

That's a pretty big leap.

I find it far more likely that such a captain would be written as a wise old mentor. The Obi Wan to the plucky commander's Skywalker.
Old August 19 2012, 07:58 AM   #35
Romulus Prime
Lieutenant Commander

Bad idea.

Sure, if you write it like that.

Or you can go the route that many sci-fi and fantasy books go and have a strong "leader" character who the main character emulates and learns from via trial and error. Rand Al Thor of the Wheel of Time series starts out as a bit of a whelp who's led by both a strong woman and her bodyguard. Luke from Star Wars isn't too different in this regard in the first 2 original Star Wars movies - he's the main character, yet is guided by wiser, more experienced characters. Same can be said of Bilbo and Frodo Baggins, and the person they follow - Gandolf.

A bad idea, really? The "leader" character would have to be "stupid", really? C'mon now.

Romulan Commander: "Danger and I are old companions." - TOS episode Balance of Terror

"Living in your dreams is like living in exile.
" - Calyx, A Stitch in Time

"Shame on you, Barack Obama!" -
Hillary Clinton

"It's the economy, stupid." - Bill Clinton
Romulus Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 09:49 PM   #36
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

I'd love a new Trek series with a non-human character in the lead role (that doesn't mean make them a hologram, android, or anything like that). I often find the alien characters more interesting anyways.
Old August 23 2012, 02:59 AM   #37
Mars
Captain

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
I'd love a new Trek series with a non-human character in the lead role (that doesn't mean make them a hologram, android, or anything like that). I often find the alien characters more interesting anyways.
Well what can you do besides have forehead ridges or pointed ears? Spock commanded the Enterprise on a number of occasions.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 11:19 AM   #38
Mars
Captain

I have an idea, it would be expensive if done as live action, but how about an intelligent dinosaur as captain? This one would be built sort of like a velociraptor, a bipedal dinosaur. The only way to do justice to a dinosaur character is not to have a man in a dinosaur suit, but to do it CGI.
Old August 23 2012, 04:57 PM   #39
Romulus Prime
Lieutenant Commander

Mars wrote: View Post
Well what can you do besides have forehead ridges or pointed ears? Spock commanded the Enterprise on a number of occasions.
Huh? There's plenty that can be done. Just take a look back at the movie and show Alien Nation. One main character is human, the other main is alien. You actually get the perspectives of both AND learn about how similar or different "George Fransisco's" family and species are in contrast to humans. Another example - Delenn from Babylon 5 is (arguably) a main character in Season 1, and during this time, we get her alien perspective on events which take place.

The concept of an alien captain can certainly go wrong, but only if the writers follow your assumption that they are just humans in weird make up...

Romulan Commander: "Danger and I are old companions." - TOS episode Balance of Terror

Hillary Clinton

Old August 23 2012, 07:04 PM   #40
Mars
Captain

Huh? There's plenty that can be done. Just take a look back at the movie and show Alien Nation. One main character is human, the other main is alien. You actually get the perspectives of both AND learn about how similar or different "George Fransisco's" family and species are in contrast to humans. Another example - Delenn from Babylon 5 is (arguably) a main character in Season 1, and during this time, we get her alien perspective on events which take place.

The concept of an alien captain can certainly go wrong, but only if the writers follow your assumption that they are just humans in weird make up...

What if the alien was a Tholian, remember the Tholians from the series Enterprise? Now we got an idea of what they look like and what sort of environment they live under. So how would a Tholian be as Captain?

Here's another interesting choice, how about a Hobbit? I mean seriously, somewhere in the Trek Universe there's bound to be a humanoid that stands 3 feet 6 inches tall as an average sized adult of their species, so how would such a diminutive race fit into the captain's chair?
Old August 23 2012, 11:19 PM   #41
Romulus Prime
Lieutenant Commander

What if the alien was a Tholian, remember the Tholians from the series Enterprise? Now we got an idea of what they look like and what sort of environment they live under. So how would a Tholian be as Captain?
1. The chances of Kirk being resurrected from the dead are more likely than this scenario. Cost and viewer connection just wouldn't be enough to justify it...but I think you know that, hence throwing out this extreme example of an alien.

2. Tholians are xenophobic + a hive-like species. They probably wouldn't do it on principal alone, never mind species psychology.

3. Even if it were something that a writer and studio decided to do, this would be a perfect scenario to have the 1st officer as the main character, thus his interaction with his alien commander could demonstrate command style differences, similarities, conflicts and resolutions regarding misunderstandings of cultural/species differences.

Here's another interesting choice, how about a Hobbit? I mean seriously, somewhere in the Trek Universe there's bound to be a humanoid that stands 3 feet 6 inches tall as an average sized adult of their species, so how would such a diminutive race fit into the captain's chair?
Hmm, and here I was thinking you had this "can't do it" attitude. I actually have a "dwarf" size character as one of my STO captains. He belongs to a race which is respected by both Feds and Klingons for their tenacity...but that's all I will say about my invention...

Hillary Clinton

Old August 23 2012, 11:23 PM   #42
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

A Tholian CO would be doubtful, seeing as how relations between the Assembly and the Federation never seem to be that cosy. I was actually thinking an already well established humanoid Federation species, played by an actor in prosthetics--a new series still needs to be affordable, so there's no point blowing the budget on Captain Jar Jar

As much as I love Vulcans, there emotional detachment and approach could be difficult for an audience to get behind. A Trill would be good, the spots aren't that distracting for none-fans so wouldn't necessarily scare away new viewers (though to make them different from Jadzia, have the character be just a Host, no Symbiont in sight). Though I would love to see a Bolian Captain. We've seen them everywhere and given little snippets about their biology and culture, but not much as been done about them.

But that's just me.
Old August 24 2012, 12:20 AM   #43
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

More stories in the way of Devil in the Dark, Home Soil, Where Silence has Lease, Time Squared, Evolution, Transfigurations, Contagion, Masks, etc where it's really seeing stange new things, and not just "We gotta beat this weeks villain!".
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 01:45 AM   #44
Mars
Captain

A Tholian CO would be doubtful, seeing as how relations between the Assembly and the Federation never seem to be that cosy. I was actually thinking an already well established humanoid Federation species, played by an actor in prosthetics--a new series still needs to be affordable, so there's no point blowing the budget on Captain Jar Jar

As much as I love Vulcans, there emotional detachment and approach could be difficult for an audience to get behind. A Trill would be good, the spots aren't that distracting for none-fans so wouldn't necessarily scare away new viewers (though to make them different from Jadzia, have the character be just a Host, no Symbiont in sight). Though I would love to see a Bolian Captain. We've seen them everywhere and given little snippets about their biology and culture, but not much as been done about them.

But that's just me.
How about a Deltan?
How about a Cardassian, or a Changeling?
How about a Cyborg? (Doesn't have to be a Borg)
How about a Gorn?
Old August 24 2012, 07:32 AM   #45
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

How about a Deltan?
Cool. I'd love to see the Deltans back. It would be interesting to see how that gave a Deltan CO a romance, what with the Oath in place.

How about a Cardassian, or a Changeling?
Skip forward twenty or thirty years and a Cardassian Captain wouldn't be too far-fetched (after all they've had a Klingon and Ferengi officer). The Changelling would be doubtful, seeing their point of view on the Solids, which I doubt wouldn't change anytime soon.

How about a Cyborg? (Doesn't have to be a Borg)
It can't be another Borg. The Borg are an overused and now dreadfully dull species. Another species who utilise cybernetic devices would be interesting, having to face Borgophobia from other crewmembers. Also you could have a normal human officer who was horrendously injured during the war and is now more machine than (wo)man.

How about a Gorn?
If they could find a way to do a better costumed Gorn, I wouldn't mind seeing one on the crew, though maybe not Captain. They will pretty much always be the lead, so should be acceptable to a TV audience. A seven foot, hissing lizard might scare off potential new viewers.