Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 22 2012, 06:31 PM   #1456
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

DWF wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Blake's 7 remake now in SyFy's clutches.

I don't really care one way or the other about the remake, but the odds are pretty high that the existing fans will hate whatever SyFy does with the show, so for their sake I hope it doesn't go to series.

The Dirty Dozen in space sounds like a good idea for a new series, but they should just go with that original concept, and maybe do something with a Tarantino retro feel to it, with a war-movie/video game emphasis on action.
The Dirty Dozen in outer space was exactly the words used by Terry Nation when he pitched the idea to the BBC execs. So I do think they're using the original concept.
I know thats where it comes from. But The Dirty Dozen, not Blakes 7, is the original concept I was referring to. So no, they're not doing what I described. In fact, what theyre really doing is an open question...

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I'm a little nervous SyFy may water it down, but, I'm just as nervous someone may swing too far in the other direction and make NuBSG look "Unicorns and Rainbows" in comparison and I also don't want to see it turned into a True Blood type Orgy (A little sex is fine, but, there's no need to have multiple sex scenes every episode)
The big thing now seems to be remakes in name only, where the showrunner keeps the name, ignores everything else and just goes galumphing off in whatever direction he likes. Sometimes that can be a good thing - Ron Moore's BSG, Bryan Fuller's take on The Munsters - so I think the one thing we can expect, is that this show will bear little resemblance to the original.

SyFy is more likely to go for violence rather than premium cable style sex, though. And I think there could be an audience for a space opera series that has the feel of a video game.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; August 22 2012 at 06:43 PM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 02:12 AM   #1457
sojourner
Admiral

NuBSG was a remake in name only???
Old August 23 2012, 03:08 AM   #1458
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

Yeah, calling nuBSG "a remake in name only" doesn't make sense. It was a remake, a reimagining, and a reboot, all.
Old August 23 2012, 11:49 AM   #1459
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I don't care about Blake's 7 either, but like with original Battlestar Galactica - another show I'm not a big fan of - I think the basic idea of the show could make for a good series.

So I'd actually be quite interested to see if this goes to series and if it's any good.

I also don't want to see it turned into a True Blood type Orgy (A little sex is fine, but, there's no need to have multiple sex scenes every episode)
There's simply no way a show on Syfy is going to have graphic sex or anywhere near the league of sweaty naked bodies you'd find in every other HBO series. At most you'd get the coy sexuality of something like Farscape.

...though going for an incredibly grim, NuBSG tone isn't out of the question.
Old August 23 2012, 01:15 PM   #1460
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
I don't care about Blake's 7 either, but like with original Battlestar Galactica - another show I'm not a big fan of - I think the basic idea of the show could make for a good series.

So I'd actually be quite interested to see if this goes to series and if it's any good.

I also don't want to see it turned into a True Blood type Orgy (A little sex is fine, but, there's no need to have multiple sex scenes every episode)
There's simply no way a show on Syfy is going to have graphic sex or anywhere near the league of sweaty naked bodies you'd find in every other HBO series. At most you'd get the coy sexuality of something like Farscape.

...though going for an incredibly grim, NuBSG tone isn't out of the question.
Yea, didn't mean SyFy would go sexy with it. SyFy will likely water it down, someone else getting hold of it could go too sexy, or too depressing

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 05:34 PM   #1461
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Yeah, calling nuBSG "a remake in name only" doesn't make sense. It was a remake, a reimagining, and a reboot, all.
I meant the GINO phenomenon - Galactice In Name Only, that kind of thing. I keep running across people using that term (Abrams = TINO, etc) so I was under the impression that it was more familiar than apparaently it is.
Old August 23 2012, 05:46 PM   #1462
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

I meant the GINO phenomenon - Galactice In Name Only, that kind of thing. I keep running across people using that term (Abrams = TINO, etc) so I was under the impression that it was more familiar than apparaently it is.
No I got you, I just don't think nuBSG really qualifies as that. In that case certainly, it's a misnomer, a spin applied by the detractors. I have no interest in perpetuating that misapplied label. Same with nuTrek.
Old August 23 2012, 05:52 PM   #1463
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

So you think nuBSG is an accurate and faithful remake? If it were, it wouldnt be nearly as good. Hurray for GINO.

The TINO stuff is ludicrious, of course.
Old August 23 2012, 05:55 PM   #1464
Harvey
Admiral

It's a remake, not a photocopy. What would it have to do to be considered "faithful" in your eyes?

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 06:01 PM   #1465
Kegg
Rear Admiral

^
I think Temis is at least partly referencing how upset fans of the original Battlestar were about the new show being very different tonally and so on (hence them using the term 'Galactica In Name Only'). I think we could see a repeat of that with Blake's 7.

Last edited by Kegg; August 23 2012 at 06:15 PM.
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 06:13 PM   #1466
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

No Temis, what I mean is that being "faithful", whatever that means, isn't a condition of being a remake in the first place, as far as I'm concerned.
Old August 23 2012, 10:08 PM   #1467
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
^
I think Temis is at least partly referencing how upset fans of the original Battlestar were about the new show being very different tonally and so on (hence them using the term 'Galactica In Name Only'). I think we could see a repeat of that with Blake's 7.
Yes. Doesnt everyone know about the Stardoe, GINO, etc hysteria that accompanied Ron Moore's remake from the very first? His version of BSG was vastly more of a departure from the original than Abrams' Trek.

Moore didn't make any attempt to recreate the colorful-adventure tone of the original. Instead, he went as far from that tone as I could imagine. And he changed many details but the tonal change was the big thing.

I think it was fully justified, but I understood why fans of the original were outraged. By contrast, Abrams stuck to the tone and spirit of Trek, and only changed what he had to, in order to create a funancially viable big budget Hollywood movie.

Abrams wanted to further the existing vision of Trek, but Moore superimposed his own vision on BSG. My hunch is that B7 will be more of a BSG situation because the show's name and fanbase is probably similar to where Moore found BSG - nobody is going to be highly motivated to stay true to the original.

No Temis, what I mean is that being "faithful", whatever that means, isn't a condition of being a remake in the first place, as far as I'm concerned.
You mean, remakes dont need to be faithful? I agree. I think both Moore and Abrams were right be faithful and unfaithful respectively. I dont care about faithfulness, I care that the results are good.

But the True Believers don't think like me, and there are always True Believers, apparently for everything. They've been slamming Moore, they've been slamming Abrams, and they'll slam this new version if B7, I'd bet money on it.
Old August 23 2012, 10:38 PM   #1468
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Or, you could just peruse this handy infographic that explains what reboots are good, bad, likely and unlikely. Star Trek reboot on TV? Likely and good! Everyone agress, right?
Old August 24 2012, 09:25 AM   #1469
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

^^ Depends on the results, which are unlikely to be good at this point. And I disagree that Abrams was in any way faithful to the tone and spirit of Trek. Quite the opposite, actually.

And wasn't Moore a proponent of GINO himself? I believe he has said that he wished he wasn't stuck with recycling the name and terminology from the original BSG.
Old August 24 2012, 09:48 AM   #1470
Cookies and Cake
Admiral

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
And wasn't Moore a proponent of GINO himself? I believe he has said that he wished he wasn't stuck with recycling the name and terminology from the original BSG.
How would that make him a proponent of GINO? Are you saying that it wasn't Moore's idea to remake Galactica in the first place? And, how does that explain this [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Number_...)#Gina_Inviere]:

Series creator Ron Moore says in the DVD commentary for "Pegasus", the name "Gina" is directly meant as a jab against critics of the reimagined series who use the derogatory term "GINO" (Galactica In Name Only) to describe it.