Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old August 22 2012, 07:06 AM   #16
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Re: Will trek ever have a "new" character

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Hell, it doesn't it even have to be an alien character. I thought Trip was a standout on Enterprise just because he was more of down to Earth than we usually see on Star Trek.

To answer your question. If there is a new series I could definitely see a "new" character. Sometimes even the acting ability can transcend the writing. (See Picardo, Robert)
Breakout redneck? i don't think so he was fairly bland unlike Phlox who actually looked unique and had a unique voice.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 10:42 AM   #17
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Drago-Kazov wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
Trip
Breakout redneck? i don't think so he was fairly bland unlike Phlox who actually looked unique and had a unique voice.
The opposite was true. Enterprise was in production when I was in High School, and Trip was the character that people were talking about, especially the girls. He seemed somehow like he was in his mid-late teens, he was good looking, cool, laid back, had a southern accent, played the harmonica and he was popular aboard the ship. Eventually he got "the hot girl."

Trip was the man.

T'Girl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 11:09 AM   #18
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Considering the weak competition he had thatsno wonder, but Phlox is still better. Riker and Bashir would not had him ever get laid if he served on the same ship.
Old August 22 2012, 11:34 AM   #19
Oso Blanco
Fleet Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
Wouldn't the EMH on VOY and Odo on DSN, better fit the outsider roles
I was going to say that ...
Old August 23 2012, 02:53 AM   #20
Mars
Captain

I was wondering, does Star Trek have a character that is like Han Solo in Star Wars? Someone who bends the rules, a rogue who lives on the edge of the law, who has a scheme and a plan, but also has a code of morality though he doesn't always realize it at the time. Problem is Star Trek typically is about the crew of a Federation ship with a type of naval discipline, the question is how do you find a roll for a Rogue on a Star Trek Crew? Neelix was sort of that type wasn't he? What do you think?
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 02:55 AM   #21
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Yeah, I was going to say Neelix is the Han Solo of Star Trek. Now, I'm going to go hang my head in shame for five minutes for having said that.

Harry Mudd has something in common too with Solo, being a smuggler, though Mudd is (or seems) much more unscrupulous.
Old August 23 2012, 03:11 AM   #22
Mars
Captain

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Yeah, I was going to say Neelix is the Han Solo of Star Trek. Now, I'm going to go hang my head in shame for five minutes for having said that.

Harry Mudd has something in common too with Solo, being a smuggler, though Mudd is (or seems) much more unscrupulous.
In a Star Trek reboot, we might see Harry Mudd again, perhaps it will be a younger and perhaps slimmer Mudd, maybe one not as set in his ways or perhaps slightly more sympathetic. Though the character I think is closer to Boss Hogg from the Dukes of Hazzard, if anything.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 03:13 AM   #23
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Mars wrote: View Post
Though the character I think is closer to Boss Hogg from the Dukes of Hazzard, if anything.
Old August 23 2012, 08:30 AM   #24
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

I was wondering, does Star Trek have a character that is like Han Solo in Star Wars? Someone who bends the rules, a rogue who lives on the edge of the law, who has a scheme and a plan, but also has a code of morality though he doesn't always realize it at the time. Problem is Star Trek typically is about the crew of a Federation ship with a type of naval discipline, the question is how do you find a roll for a Rogue on a Star Trek Crew? Neelix was sort of that type wasn't he? What do you think?
Never heard of the legendary womanising Captain Okona?
Old August 25 2012, 12:30 PM   #25
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Never heard of the legendary womanising Captain Okona?
Thanks. I spent two decades trying to scrub that episode from my memory only to have it all come rushing back after reading your post!
Old August 26 2012, 09:40 AM   #26
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Nobody should ever forget Okona. Maaan that guy lives on the edgeeeee!!!!!!!!!
Old August 29 2012, 01:41 PM   #27
TheLobes
Commander

I kind of disagree with the idea that 7 of 9 was a breakout character. It seems that most breakout characters are those which the makers of the show didnt know would be so popular, its kind of a fun accident. I feel 7 of 9 was more designed to be a ratings booster. No matter what you think of her character, they got the most popular trek villain and turned it into a hot blonde woman wearing skin-tight clothing, then added in the whole Data/Spock/EMH theme of 'what does it mean to be human' that we all love. 7 of 9, in my opinion, wasnt really a breakout character, she was a ratings booster. I think thats something to be avoided, because it takes away from the other characters.
TheLobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2012, 02:16 PM   #28
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

TheLobes wrote: View Post

I think thats something to be avoided, because it takes away from the other characters.
What really takes away from other characters is cancellation.
Old September 12 2012, 11:28 AM   #29
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

Neelix was supposed too be the VOY breakout character.
Old September 13 2012, 10:51 AM   #30
Dream
Admiral

Neelix was supposed too be the VOY breakout character.
It was pretty sad that Neelix had the much better sendoff episode with Homestead compared to what the other VOY main characters got in Endgame.