Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 22 2012, 05:55 PM   #1
CaptainSarine
Commander

The Great Star Trek Pocket Novel Reread

Hi all,

I have decided to launch myself on a grand adventure - read or reread every single Star Trek book published by Pocket, starting with the Gene Roddenberry-penned novelization of The Motion Picture. I'll post a little review on here when I finish each one.

I have most of them already, those I don't have I will pick up as I go. I'm looking forward to this, especially as most of those published until the mid-nineties I have never read and even then it wasn't until the publication of Destiny in 2008 that I started reading them regularly.

The Destiny trilogy will be the cut-off point, though I have a hell of a lot of reading to do until then!

Anyone else ever tried something like this? Or interested in reading along?

Joel
Old August 22 2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Timewalker
Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady

Re: The Great Star Trek Pocket Novel Reread

How long, on average, does it take you to read one Star Trek novel?

For some great Original Series fanfic, check out the Valjiir Continuum!
Timewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 07:02 PM   #3
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Wow even if I read nothing but Trek this would take me about two decades.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 07:17 PM   #4
zarkon
Captain

If you post your reading order in advance I don't mind reading along, I've got about 90% of them so it'll give me a good excuse to stop being so lazy about picking up the others.

Timewalker wrote: View Post
For me personally 2-4 hours depending on the chunkiness of the book and the complexity of the writing.
Old August 22 2012, 07:58 PM   #5
TigerBait
Captain

View TigerBait's Twitter Profile

Give yourself an extra few weeks for Probe, that bastard is a tough read...
Old August 22 2012, 08:32 PM   #6
flandry84
Captain

Just finished rereading The Captains' honour and I had forgotten just how downright strange some of it was.
Funny how wrong some assumptions made by the authors look in hindsight.

Anyhow,best of luck with your quest.
Old August 22 2012, 08:50 PM   #7
CaptainSarine
Commander

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Depends entirely on the size, but generally in one day I can get through one. No longer than two or three days. This is a long term project.

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
Wow even if I read nothing but Trek this would take me about two decades.
Like I said above, long term project, though I hope in two or three years I can get through them.

zarkon wrote: View Post
If you post your reading order in advance I don't mind reading along, I've got about 90% of them so it'll give me a good excuse to stop being so lazy about picking up the others.

For me personally 2-4 hours depending on the chunkiness of the book and the complexity of the writing.
I'm following the publication order. I would have liked to do a chronological order but difficult to work out exactly where everything fits... I'll post tomorrow the first ten or twenty books and hopefully my first review of The Motion Picture.

TigerBait wrote: View Post
Give yourself an extra few weeks for Probe, that bastard is a tough read...
Thanks for the advice!

flandry84 wrote: View Post
Just finished rereading The Captains' honour and I had forgotten just how downright strange some of it was.
Funny how wrong some assumptions made by the authors look in hindsight.
Anyhow,best of luck with your quest.
Thanks! I'm on to The Klingon Gambit at the moment and some of it is quite... !
Old August 22 2012, 10:05 PM   #8
F. King Daniel
Admiral

Wow, you all read WAY faster than me!
'm following the publication order. I would have liked to do a chronological order but difficult to work out exactly where everything fits... I'll post tomorrow the first ten or twenty books and hopefully my first review of The Motion Picture.
There was a blog I came across once, someone who did attempt chronological order. I think he reached Captain Pike's era before quitting.
And with the constant squishing of new stories into the timeline, trying it that way is a flawed plan from the get-go.

EDIT: I think this is it: www.youngtrek.com/startrekchronomain.html
Old August 23 2012, 12:22 PM   #9
CaptainSarine
Commander

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
Wow, you all read WAY faster than me!
'm following the publication order. I would have liked to do a chronological order but difficult to work out exactly where everything fits... I'll post tomorrow the first ten or twenty books and hopefully my first review of The Motion Picture.
There was a blog I came across once, someone who did attempt chronological order. I think he reached Captain Pike's era before quitting.
And with the constant squishing of new stories into the timeline, trying it that way is a flawed plan from the get-go.

EDIT: I think this is it: www.youngtrek.com/startrekchronomain.html
Thanks for the link! Yeah, I basically got to that decision as well. Difficult to work out where some of the novels fits in, especially as a lot of the earlier novels are only very barely canon in some instances.
Old August 23 2012, 01:37 PM   #10
Christopher
Writer

^None of the novels are canon at all; the term refers solely to the shows and films. The original core material is canon, derivative works from other sources are apocrypha. Many fans use the word "canon" when they're actually talking about continuity. I think the latter is what you're referring to here -- the fact that a lot of early novels had their own idiosyncratic takes on the Trek universe and don't quite fit with the others.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2012, 02:27 PM   #11
zarkon
Captain

And then there's Shadow Lord which isn't so much an idiosyncratic takes as it is buhwaaaahh?
Old August 23 2012, 08:30 PM   #12
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Good luck, CaptainSarine!

I'd love to do something like this. One of these (days?) (months?) years, I'm going to read/watch my way through all the episodes, films and novels that make up the "Novel Verse" continuity (at least, what I personally judge to be the Novel Verse continuity). I've got this wide-eyed notion that I'm going to do it in internal chronological order, starting with First Contact viewing one (there'll be a second later on), all the way through to The Cold Equations or whatever comes after it. It will be lengthy, alarmingly subjective, redundant in places, and awkward. It will also be glorious.
Old August 23 2012, 08:41 PM   #13
JD
Admiral

I'm seriously considering starting back with the DS9 Relaunch and going through the Relaunch era from there. It won't be for quite a while though, because I've got a ton of stuff to catch up on before I start.
Old August 23 2012, 08:45 PM   #14
CaptainSarine
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
^None of the novels are canon at all; the term refers solely to the shows and films. The original core material is canon, derivative works from other sources are apocrypha. Many fans use the word "canon" when they're actually talking about continuity. I think the latter is what you're referring to here -- the fact that a lot of early novels had their own idiosyncratic takes on the Trek universe and don't quite fit with the others.
Christopher, I stand corrected. Yes I did mean continuity rather than canon. It is interesting to see how many of the early novels definitely seem to happen in a kind of parallel universe to the films and shows.

zarkon wrote: View Post
And then there's Shadow Lord which isn't so much an idiosyncratic takes as it is buhwaaaahh?
Haven't gotten to that one yet! I'll have to see what you mean when I do.
Old August 23 2012, 08:52 PM   #15
Use of Time
Commodore

Wow, this is awesome because I just started something similar last week. I am working my way through all of the on screen Trek and starting over on all the novels. I am not reading them in order because I only have about 40 books total right now. However, there are three local used bookstores loaded with Trek. I'll have to fill in the missing pieces through internet shopping. It is going to be a long but fun road. Good luck. I am currently reading Into the Nebula which ironically, was written by the recently passed Gene DeWeese.