RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,248
Posts: 5,348,512
Members: 24,612
Currently online: 683
Newest member: NeckbeardKnight

TrekToday headlines

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

True Trek History To Be Penned
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 21 2012, 11:59 AM   #691
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Start Wreck wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
Picard: Power corrupts.
Riker: And absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Ok, so what do you call this Galaxy Class Starship that has the power to beam people in and out of existence, re-create any object, setting or life form from any planet, ship or station from any time, create it's own life form, and pulverize an entire solar system with it's heavy armaments? Having that power is ok, but having the power to bring a dead girl back to life? You're worse than Satan.
Q's power is significantly more than any of that, any of anything, ever. What's the worst that could happen? Riker could end up like Q. The horror!
Or that he ends up like Gary Mitchell or Roger Corby or any of the other numerous Trek nut jobs who try to enforce their will on others...
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 03:47 PM   #692
Jeyl
Commodore
 
Jeyl's Avatar
 
Location: Asheville, NC
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

BillJ wrote: View Post
Or that he ends up like Gary Mitchell or Roger Corby or any of the other numerous Trek nut jobs who try to enforce their will on others...
You give my a psychological test that proves having god like powers means that you will automatically make everyone bow to your will and I will back up your claim. But as it stands, I fail to see how having god like powers automatically makes you an a**hole.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 04:04 PM   #693
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Jeyl wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Or that he ends up like Gary Mitchell or Roger Corby or any of the other numerous Trek nut jobs who try to enforce their will on others...
You give my a psychological test that proves having god like powers means that you will automatically make everyone bow to your will and I will back up your claim. But as it stands, I fail to see how having god like powers automatically makes you an a**hole.
Well since pretty much everyone in Trek with Godlike powers are assholes, I'd say in universe it's pretty safe to say that Riker would become an asshole. As a matter of fact, we see him headed that way towards the end of the episode.

In real life, I know those that have more never think they are superior and know best for those that have less.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 04:07 PM   #694
22 Stars
Commodore
 
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Ghostface1701 wrote: View Post
bullethead wrote: View Post
Ghostface1701 wrote: View Post
Weren't there hundreds of people that died on that colony? I'm more concerned that no-one on the Enterprise or this forum gives a rat's ass about their deaths.
Were there? I haven't seen the episode in years and since I'm holding off for the fixed TNG-R sets, I don't have it available. But yeah, if there were a lot of fatalities, they should've let Riker bring them back, healed (including the girl).
There were only nine survivors out of 504 colonists, but all anyone cares about is the death of the white girl.
Pretty sure the girl in this ep is Asian.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 04:15 PM   #695
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

22 Stars wrote: View Post
Ghostface1701 wrote: View Post
bullethead wrote: View Post
Were there? I haven't seen the episode in years and since I'm holding off for the fixed TNG-R sets, I don't have it available. But yeah, if there were a lot of fatalities, they should've let Riker bring them back, healed (including the girl).
There were only nine survivors out of 504 colonists, but all anyone cares about is the death of the white girl.
Pretty sure the girl in this ep is Asian.
That's what it looked like to me.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 04:37 PM   #696
bullethead
Fleet Captain
 
bullethead's Avatar
 
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Ghostface1701 wrote: View Post
bullethead wrote: View Post
Ghostface1701 wrote: View Post
Weren't there hundreds of people that died on that colony? I'm more concerned that no-one on the Enterprise or this forum gives a rat's ass about their deaths.
Were there? I haven't seen the episode in years and since I'm holding off for the fixed TNG-R sets, I don't have it available. But yeah, if there were a lot of fatalities, they should've let Riker bring them back, healed (including the girl).
There were only nine survivors out of 504 colonists, but all anyone cares about is the death of the white girl.
Wow, the crew didn't give any fucks about those people if they just focused on the little girl.
__________________
A business man and engineer discuss how to launch a communications satellite in the 1960s:
Biz Dev Guy: Your communications satellite has to be the size, shape, and weight of a hydrogen bomb.
bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 10:44 PM   #697
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Man, The Big Goodbye sure seems a whole lot sillier now than it used to. You've got Picard acting like a giddy schoolgirl for the entire episode, as if he's never seen a hologram before in his life. In fact when he goes back he even takes along the ship's historian, as if it's some kind of real mission or something.

Once the Holodeck malfunctions, Riker and Geordi act as if the crew are trapped in another dimension or something, and not just within the small room next door (What, with all that advanced 24th century technology, they don't have something that can pry open a couple of Holodeck doors??)

And later Picard and Data spend an inordinant amount of time trying to reason and explain the outside world.... to a bunch of holographic characters. Even though they have no reason to believe they've achieved any kind of sentience (and it seems to go far beyond just a diversionary tactic too).

The episode certainly looks better than ever though, and there are a lot of fun moments throughout. I especially love Data's putdown of Picard ("Only a knockoff, a cheap imitation..."), and Beverly wanting to get in on all the fun interrogation action.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 12:45 AM   #698
Jeyl
Commodore
 
Jeyl's Avatar
 
Location: Asheville, NC
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Just watched "Symbiosis".

This has got to be one of Picard's biggest blunders. The exchange he has at the end where he states that the Ornarans will go through a tough period of withdraw is just so wrong. Picard doesn't consider what a planet wide drug shortage will do to a civilization, especially one where every person is addicted to the drug. Picard talks like the civilization is like a person who will experience withdraw and eventually overcome it. This isn't a person though. This is an entire planet full of people addicted to a substance that they'll readily die for. There isn't going to be a moment where the planet will one day lose their supply and everyone will just go through the withdraw process. There's going to be planet wide CHAOS. And what's worse? Picard willfully doesn't give the the Ornarans the coils so this drug shortage will happen.

I just can't believe how Picard, or anyone for that matter, didn't contemplate that this decision may have just turned the Ornaran's entire planet into a war zone.

Crusher: "I just hope it was the right one."
Picard: "And we may never know."

I just love it when Captains make that conclusion about the Prime Derective. We may never know, so let's pick the worst possible solution.
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 12:54 AM   #699
Ghostface1701
Commander
 
Ghostface1701's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

BillJ wrote: View Post
22 Stars wrote: View Post
Ghostface1701 wrote: View Post

There were only nine survivors out of 504 colonists, but all anyone cares about is the death of the white girl.
Pretty sure the girl in this ep is Asian.
That's what it looked like to me.
Ah, yes, my bad. I went back and rewatched the scene, but missed that brief shot of her face. It doesn't make too much of a difference though, as my issue is that the writers think we can only feel sad and conflicted about Riker's dilemma if we focus on the pretty little (light-skinned) girl. See also Missing White Woman Syndrome.

Moving on, I watched Heart of Glory yesterday, and while I enjoyed it, I'm really starting to see why Denise Crosby was unhappy. In this episode more than any I've seen so far, she had so little to do and barely spoke at all. At this stage in the show, Worf was still little more than a recurring guest star, but he got his own episode before Yar did. I have to assume though that she'd made her decision to leave by this point anyway.

Excluding Yar, this season has given each of the main cast their moment in the spotlight. I was quite surprised that even Troi has a valuable function, before being relegated to saying "Something's wrong" or not knowing what a warp core breach was in later seasons.

Geordi-Vision is interesting, and I see now why he's always suffered from headaches. If I were him though, I might point out that each member of the Away Team has scanning equipment, and his job isn't to be a walking Tricorder! Maybe that's why he hid away in Engineering from Season 2!
Ghostface1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 01:39 AM   #700
Ghostface1701
Commander
 
Ghostface1701's Avatar
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Also, I have a new favourite actress in TNG. It's this extra from Coming of Age:



I need a time machine, stat.
Ghostface1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 03:46 AM   #701
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Jeyl wrote: View Post
I just can't believe how Picard, or anyone for that matter, didn't contemplate that this decision may have just turned the Ornaran's entire planet into a war zone.
It isn't his job to dictate societal change for the Onarans.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 03:49 AM   #702
bullethead
Fleet Captain
 
bullethead's Avatar
 
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

BillJ wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
I just can't believe how Picard, or anyone for that matter, didn't contemplate that this decision may have just turned the Ornaran's entire planet into a war zone.
It isn't his job to dictate societal change for the Onarans.
Isn't that what he's doing by cutting them off from the drug supply?
__________________
A business man and engineer discuss how to launch a communications satellite in the 1960s:
Biz Dev Guy: Your communications satellite has to be the size, shape, and weight of a hydrogen bomb.
bullethead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 03:51 AM   #703
davejames
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Sac, Ca
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Just watched "Symbiosis".

This has got to be one of Picard's biggest blunders. The exchange he has at the end where he states that the Ornarans will go through a tough period of withdraw is just so wrong. Picard doesn't consider what a planet wide drug shortage will do to a civilization, especially one where every person is addicted to the drug. Picard talks like the civilization is like a person who will experience withdraw and eventually overcome it. This isn't a person though. This is an entire planet full of people addicted to a substance that they'll readily die for. There isn't going to be a moment where the planet will one day lose their supply and everyone will just go through the withdraw process. There's going to be planet wide CHAOS. And what's worse? Picard willfully doesn't give the the Ornarans the coils so this drug shortage will happen.

I just can't believe how Picard, or anyone for that matter, didn't contemplate that this decision may have just turned the Ornaran's entire planet into a war zone.

Crusher: "I just hope it was the right one."
Picard: "And we may never know."

I just love it when Captains make that conclusion about the Prime Derective. We may never know, so let's pick the worst possible solution.
Well I'm sure Picard expected there would be some violence and chaos during the withdrawal process, but that still didn't change the fact that his hands were tied by the Prime Directive.

At least if you're going to follow the Directive to the letter. Personally I always thought TNG was way too rigid about the whole thing, and should have let Picard stretch the rules a lot more than he did.

After watching Kirk and company rush in and help people left and right, it just seemed odd to see the TNG crew suddenly being so hard-assed and inflexible about the whole thing.
davejames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 03:53 AM   #704
BillJ
Admiral
 
BillJ's Avatar
 
Location: In the 23rd Century...
View BillJ's Twitter Profile
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

bullethead wrote: View Post
BillJ wrote: View Post
Jeyl wrote: View Post
I just can't believe how Picard, or anyone for that matter, didn't contemplate that this decision may have just turned the Ornaran's entire planet into a war zone.
It isn't his job to dictate societal change for the Onarans.
Isn't that what he's doing by cutting them off from the drug supply?
But he wasn't cutting them off. They still had two working vessels and with the Brekians now knowing there bread and butter could evaporate, they will likely push the Onarans towards learning how to repair the technology.
__________________
"I had no idea you were so... formidable. " - Anan 7 to James T. Kirk, A Taste of Armageddon
BillJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 03:54 AM   #705
ThunderAeroI
Rear Admiral
 
ThunderAeroI's Avatar
 
Location: Perpetually being chased by airplanes
Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

It is because of Kirk he can't.
__________________
No Where to be found, but everywhere you are - I'll be there looking for ways to save your life.
ThunderAeroI is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.