A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 21 2012, 06:47 PM   #211
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

I was loving the show for most of the first 12-13 episodes, and then it became hit or miss. The main characters are great, I just want to watch episodes with them having interesting stuff happen, and some good villains. As for the first impressions, they're very important, so if the show does them badly, it tends to screw up the characters. Its possible Scorpius gets some depth and becomes interesting. Honestly, the only character I can say I'll never be interested in or like is Chiana. I'm just saying that, after watching Nerve, I'm not interested in Scorpius and his chair whatsoever, and that my first impression is that he might make an ok one episode villain, but he doesn't have anything going for him as an ongoing villain, besides the fact that he's evil.

Looking at descriptions (not spoilers) on wikipedia of some of the season 2 episodes, it seems like stuff I'd like, so I'm probably going to finish up Season 1 in a few days, and get the second season eventually (although it may be a month or two). I've also still got about 9 episodes of B5 left to watch.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 06:56 PM   #212
RoJoHen
Awesome

Well, all I can say is that Scorpius is anything but a one-note villain. He has more depth than you could possibly imagine at this point in the show. Sure, right now he may just seem like an evil guy in leather, but I guarantee he is anything but.

First impressions can be important, but I think you may put too much stock in them. You've already decided that future appearances of Scorpius are going to suck after only seeing him for half an episode.
Old August 21 2012, 07:04 PM   #213
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

Well, I knew Chiana would suck after 5 minutes, and I was right...

I'll try to keep an open mind about Scorpius, I hope he loses the leather and chair. I can't take him seriously dressed like that, and the chair is a really lame villain gimmick. I doubt he'll get rid of either, so realistically I just hope he gets some personality besides generic villain who loves to inflict pain, and doesn't make too many more appearances.
Old August 21 2012, 07:09 PM   #214
Harvey
Admiral

He keeps the outfit (although the chair isn't that important) and definitely sticks around. Wayne Pygram even becomes a regular. You obviously don't care for the direction the series is headed in, and it's not going to change, so my advice would be to quit while you're ahead.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 07:11 PM   #215
RoJoHen
Awesome

Yeah, he makes many more appearances and becomes integral to the show's overall story. I'd get through the end of the season to see how you feel. "Family Ties" remains one of my favorite season finales of any show I've ever seen. If it doesn't leave you wanting more, you may as well stop.
Old August 21 2012, 07:19 PM   #216
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

I'm definately going to finish the season. I'm fairly sure I won't quit. I like the main characters too much. Even if Scorpius doesn't grow on me, he can't be in every episode. Crais was the main villain up until now, but he was really only in a few episodes, it was more the threat of him that was important. I'm hoping scorpius is the same. Either way, Scorpius and Chiana combined can't make me give up on Farscape. As long as Zhaan, D'Argo, John, Aeryn and Rygel (and Pilot/Moya) stay interesting, I can stomach Chiana and Scorpius enough to atleast make Season 2 worth getting. I'm hoping Scorpius gets interesting and then having him as the villain won't be a problem anyway.

As for the last episode, I'm already wanting more Farscape, I just wish I could have it without Leather man and female Jar Jar.
Old August 21 2012, 07:21 PM   #217
RoJoHen
Awesome

Scorpius gets so interesting that a time will come where you may not even want to call him a "villain" at all.

Farscape is tricky like that. It's not black-and-white, good guys vs. bad guys all the time. Remember, the "good guys" are escaped criminals, and the "bad guys" are people with their own goals and motivations. They aren't just evil for the sake of being evil, even if they do dress in scary black leather.
Old August 21 2012, 07:26 PM   #218
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

He tortures people for a living. Unless all of his crimes are revealed to have been a dream, or he's secretly being mind controlled, I doubt he'll ever not be a villain, even if for some reason the show tries to change him. I guess he could be a sympathetic villain, but he would have to have experienced really bad things to get any sympathy at all.
Old August 21 2012, 07:30 PM   #219
RoJoHen
Awesome

"I don't torture people, John. You misunderstand me." -Scorpius, a later episode
Old August 21 2012, 07:36 PM   #220
MacLeod
Admiral

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
I was loving the show for most of the first 12-13 episodes, and then it became hit or miss. The main characters are great, I just want to watch episodes with them having interesting stuff happen, and some good villains. As for the first impressions, they're very important, so if the show does them badly, it tends to screw up the characters. Its possible Scorpius gets some depth and becomes interesting. Honestly, the only character I can say I'll never be interested in or like is Chiana. I'm just saying that, after watching Nerve, I'm not interested in Scorpius and his chair whatsoever, and that my first impression is that he might make an ok one episode villain, but he doesn't have anything going for him as an ongoing villain, besides the fact that he's evil.

Looking at descriptions (not spoilers) on wikipedia of some of the season 2 episodes, it seems like stuff I'd like, so I'm probably going to finish up Season 1 in a few days, and get the second season eventually (although it may be a month or two). I've also still got about 9 episodes of B5 left to watch.
B5 has some of it's better episodes of S1 in the last few, "Baylon Squared", "A Voice in the Wilderness" and "Chyrsalis"
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 07:37 PM   #221
kirk55555
Fleet Captain

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
"I don't torture people, John. You misunderstand me." -Scorpius, a later episode
Ugh. Is he one of those villains who does bad things, and then says he's doing it to help the person/people? They usually get really annoying. He hurts people to get info, that means he's torturing them, its acually the definition of torture.
Old August 21 2012, 08:12 PM   #222
Rowan Sjet
Commodore

You people are terrible! Stop trying to shape his opinion, you'll just ruin it even more.
Old August 21 2012, 08:28 PM   #223
RoJoHen
Awesome

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Ugh. Is he one of those villains who does bad things, and then says he's doing it to help the person/people? They usually get really annoying. He hurts people to get info, that means he's torturing them, its acually the definition of torture.
All I'm saying is don't let what little you've seen of him cloud your later opinions of him. There is much more to him than meets the eye.

And now I'm done.
Old August 21 2012, 08:35 PM   #224
Nociod
Fleet Captain

Farscape was a great show!

Scorpius gets a lot more interesting, so just stick through with it.

Chiana.. Sadly does not. If you find her annoying now, then you will definitely find her annoying later. Don't get me wrong, she has her moments, and is not all bad, but for me, she was the worst character of Farscape. When you get to season 2, just skip through the third episode "Taking the stone". It's one of the worst episodes of Farscape (and also heavily focused on Chiana)
Nociod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 08:36 PM   #225
RoJoHen
Awesome

Sometimes I think I'm the only person who likes "Taking the Stone."