TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old July 27 2012, 07:55 PM   #16
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Re: Marvel's Ultimate Comics

But don't you find "events" manipulative and exploitative?

Or are you so snow blind from their machinations to empty your wallet that you save up and plan ahead financially for as yet unknown events because, it's impossible to resist what what they're selling?

Requiem for a dream.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2012, 09:28 PM   #17
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
Yup.
Old July 28 2012, 01:16 AM   #18
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I was with Ultimate Spider-man during the entire original run of Bendis and Bagley, but then left when Bags left to rejoin Amazing Spider-man at the time (what a mistake that was for me). I jumped back on board with the recent relaunch with Miles and I've been enjoying it quite a lot, although the pacing is decompressed as Bendis' writing style is more befitting a TV show than a comic, with several issues making up an "hour-long episode," IMO. It's short on action, but big on character building and setting up things to come.

I was with Ultimate X-Men when it was originally launched, but then left after its initial arc. I rejoined it with the current relaunch alongside USM, but mainly because the regular artists is one of my favorites today. I think the initial run by Nick Spencer was a bit all over the place, but it reflected how deconstructed and essentially disbanded the X-Men had become. New writer Brian Wood seems to be in the position of "putting the band" back together.
Old July 28 2012, 06:41 AM   #19
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I dropped Ultimate Comics X-Men due to the ongoing lagging Stryker arc. Just not interested at all. They're putting the team back together under Kitty's leadership right? That was what was starting to happen at least when I dropped it.

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man is pure awesomeness right now. Bendis is like any other writer when they're excited and passionate about a character, it shows in spades. It is typical Bendis pacing and structure, but he is seriously knocking it out of the ball park with Miles Morales and his supporting cast. Sara Pichelli's art work is stellar. A worthy successor to Mark Bagley. I felt Stuart Immonen's style was too cartoonish for the book.

Ultimate Comics Ultimates is the serious stuff...Hickman left, but the current writer (who's name escapes me) is continuing his story. Ultimate Captain America just returned back from his self imposed exile and things are gonna pick up!

I'm kind of interested in Ultimate Iron Man Vs Mandarin...and Marvel has no plans for an Ultimate Comics Fantastic Four right now for obvious reasons.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 07:30 AM   #20
DAYoung
Commander

View DAYoung's Twitter Profile

Ultimate Comics Ultimates is the serious stuff...Hickman left, but the current writer (who's name escapes me) is continuing his story. Ultimate Captain America just returned back from his self imposed exile and things are gonna pick up!
Is this the storyline that ends with Captain America in the snow, at a small store?

That was a fantastic arc, if so.
DAYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28 2012, 09:11 AM   #21
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

What about an Ultimate Frightful Four?

See if the Wizard can fill in the vacuum created by the absence of the Fantastic Four?

Old July 29 2012, 05:48 PM   #22
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Actually, a lot of the comments here pretty much express my view:
http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=63403
Old July 29 2012, 06:39 PM   #23
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

I think we all got your point the first time around. Most of us disagreed with it.

Old July 29 2012, 08:38 PM   #24
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

I think we all got your point the first time around. Most of us disagreed with it.
Well pardon me all to hell.

JD wrote: View Post
I don't get what's so wrong with that.
Guess I'm not allowed to answer, per Adm. Young, so I'll PM you my thoughts. Maybe we can have a discussion. Critical differences of opinion seem to be discouraged on the board.
Old July 29 2012, 08:45 PM   #25
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

What are you wanting to discuss exactly? This isn't really the thread to have the discussion you want to have in it. Perhaps you should create a thread regarding the state of modern comics? I'm sure that would garner interesting discussion. I understand your view point, I simply disagree with it.

Old July 29 2012, 09:30 PM   #26
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

I've now read those first six issues of the new Miles Morales series. Even with Bendis's often-annoying decompressed storytelling style, I thought these early issues moved at a pretty good pace to get Miles to a mental state where he could imagine actually using his powers. I'm pretty happy with what I read, and have already ordered the "premiere edition" hardcover collecting issues seven through twelve.

I also ordered the two Ultimates hardcover volumes and am looking forward to starting that series when they arrive. After Hickman's Fantastic Four, I'm pretty willing to give anything of his a chance. I actually plan on doing just that with some of his other, non-superhero work at some point, like Pax Romana, Nightly News, and his ongoing Manhattan Projects.

Even though opinions on X-Men in this thread have been pretty negative, I picked up its two volumes at my LCS anyways. The political situation in the United States in the Ultimate Universe right now has my curiosity piqued to such a level that I decided I wanted to give those issues a chance, despite the uneven reviews that I've seen and the thoughts here. It helped a bit that one of the employees at the store said he had been enjoying the series, so that pushed my overall impression into a more "mixed" stance than a "don't bother, it's not good" one.

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
Critical differences of opinion seem to be discouraged on the board.
There is, of course, nothing wrong with differences in opinion. You, however, haven't actually articulated a clear opinion in this thread on the state of modern comics, other than some glib "I understood nothing you just said, ergo modern comics suck!" nonsense and a link to other people's rants. Why not try posting your own thoughts?

Last edited by PsychoPere; July 29 2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: Added reply to quoted post.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 04:16 AM   #27
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

So, I haven't had time yet to get beyond the first two collected volumes of the three series*, bit I found this teaser image to be somewhat intriguing.

Anyone want to take guesses as to what decision Captain America will be making? Many people over at the CBR Forums are speculating that Cap may stage a coup and take control of the country.

(* I enjoyed each, though UC Spider-Man was easily the best of the three. UC Ultimates was a lot of fun, and I liked seeing Kitty Pryde stepping up as a leader in UC X-Men. X-Men is not as good as the other two, though.)
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 07:29 AM   #28
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

That's a pretty good guess. The Ultimate Universe is in shambles right now, even in a worse state than it was after the events of Ultimatum (I'm talking about in-universe as well, not real life with sales and etc lol). I believe the Secretary of Energy is the President of the United States (those which have remained in the union anyway). Steve has just returned and been briefed on the global situation. It's either a coup or he will announce that he's running for President. It is said that the announcement will be on the scale of the Death of Peter Parker...

Old August 21 2012, 07:52 AM   #29
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Ultimate Captain America doesn't have the same decades worth of celebrity as 616 Captain America in the modern world.

Old August 21 2012, 08:29 AM   #30
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

That's very true, but as I mentioned, the US is kind of in a dire situation in the Ultimate Universe at the moment. Steve could feel like only he can inspire people to reunite or that he can take control of the situation. Either way I feel like it is going to be along those lines.