RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,728
Posts: 5,432,571
Members: 24,836
Currently online: 524
Newest member: crazycornuts

TrekToday headlines

Episode Four of The Red Shirt Diaries
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Star Trek: The Compendium Review
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 20 2012, 05:24 PM   #1
alpha_leonis
Captain
 
Those little details you miss

I recently re-watched STIII:TSFS (I know it's generally regarded under the "odd-numbered curse", and not as well liked as other Trek movies, but it was the first one I saw in the theatre so I have a soft spot for it.)

This time, however, I noticed a little tiny detail that I'd never seen before. The Merchant vessel at the beginning that is escorting Valkris, soon-to-be-destroyed by Kruge, has an alien crewmember. You only see (him?) for a split second as the ship is exploding. I'd never noticed before.

Isn't it kind of odd to spend all the time it takes on alien makeup for that actor, only to show the character for less than a second as he's about to die?
__________________
No butterflies were harmed in the filming of this episode.
alpha_leonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2012, 06:04 PM   #2
Grant
Fleet Captain
 
Grant's Avatar
 
Re: Those little details you miss

make-up was sub-par--just a background character.

Like the 'baldcap' on the Deltan crewmember of Excelsior--sub-par background.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2012, 07:11 PM   #3
SchwEnt
Fleet Captain
 
Re: Those little details you miss

These things happen. TMP featured extensive and elaborate alien makeup and costumes. Didn't see much of it at all. Far background crowd at SF HQ and then again a crowd scene on the Rec Deck. A few standout characters but nothing representative of the array of aliens they worked on. A lot of effort for comparatively little screen time.
SchwEnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2012, 07:12 PM   #4
22 Stars
Commodore
 
Re: Those little details you miss

alpha_leonis wrote: View Post
I recently re-watched STIII:TSFS (I know it's generally regarded under the "odd-numbered curse", and not as well liked as other Trek movies, but it was the first one I saw in the theatre so I have a soft spot for it.)

This time, however, I noticed a little tiny detail that I'd never seen before. The Merchant vessel at the beginning that is escorting Valkris, soon-to-be-destroyed by Kruge, has an alien crewmember. You only see (him?) for a split second as the ship is exploding. I'd never noticed before.

Isn't it kind of odd to spend all the time it takes on alien makeup for that actor, only to show the character for less than a second as he's about to die?
That scene as shot was a bit longer. including a reveal of Valkris' face and ample cleavage. There are pics of her wearing a veil covering both that take place prior to the scenes cut into the final film.

http://www.reocities.com/indygizmo/valmask.jpg

I love III too, and think it is a very strong movie. With maybe 10-20 minutes of enhanced FX work, blending in the planet sets with some cg enhanced landscapes like LOTR, that movie would really open up and be much more appreciated.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 03:01 PM   #5
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Those little details you miss

I really like STIII. Lot's of fun and adventure. I prefer it to Wrath of Khan.

Grant wrote: View Post
Like the 'baldcap' on the Deltan crewmember of Excelsior--sub-par background.
Is that really meant to be a Deltan? I've always wondered about Mr. Conehead.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 03:06 PM   #6
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Those little details you miss

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
These things happen. TMP featured extensive and elaborate alien makeup and costumes. Didn't see much of it at all. Far background crowd at SF HQ and then again a crowd scene on the Rec Deck. A few standout characters but nothing representative of the array of aliens they worked on. A lot of effort for comparatively little screen time.
The ultimate example is STXI's Rura Penthe scenes, which featured dozens of elaborate aliens (including new-look Klingons, a Gorn, a Salt Vampire and a freaky guy with three faces) only to be left on the cutting room floor.
At least the new look Klingons are being reused in the next movie.
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 08:35 PM   #7
22 Stars
Commodore
 
Re: Those little details you miss

KingDaniel wrote: View Post
SchwEnt wrote: View Post
These things happen. TMP featured extensive and elaborate alien makeup and costumes. Didn't see much of it at all. Far background crowd at SF HQ and then again a crowd scene on the Rec Deck. A few standout characters but nothing representative of the array of aliens they worked on. A lot of effort for comparatively little screen time.
The ultimate example is STXI's Rura Penthe scenes, which featured dozens of elaborate aliens (including new-look Klingons, a Gorn, a Salt Vampire and a freaky guy with three faces) only to be left on the cutting room floor.
At least the new look Klingons are being reused in the next movie.
Klingons have been confirmed for JJ Trek 2013? Where is that source? And they will look like Victor Garber from the JJ Trek 09? Where is that source?
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 08:38 PM   #8
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: Those little details you miss

22 Stars wrote: View Post
KingDaniel wrote: View Post
SchwEnt wrote: View Post
These things happen. TMP featured extensive and elaborate alien makeup and costumes. Didn't see much of it at all. Far background crowd at SF HQ and then again a crowd scene on the Rec Deck. A few standout characters but nothing representative of the array of aliens they worked on. A lot of effort for comparatively little screen time.
The ultimate example is STXI's Rura Penthe scenes, which featured dozens of elaborate aliens (including new-look Klingons, a Gorn, a Salt Vampire and a freaky guy with three faces) only to be left on the cutting room floor.
At least the new look Klingons are being reused in the next movie.
Klingons have been confirmed for JJ Trek 2013? Where is that source? And they will look like Victor Garber from the JJ Trek 09? Where is that source?
Not confirmed with words, I don't think, but, JJ or one of the Producers/Writers pointed to a still from the Deleted material from ST09 or something like that and gave the indication that meant the Klingons would be in ST13 (Or something like that). See Trek Today articles from several months back
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 12:05 PM   #9
pfontaine2
Lieutenant Junior Grade
 
Re: Those little details you miss

[IMG][/IMG]

I only just recently noticed a face in the Enterprise's window as Scotty docks the shuttle craft after giving Admiral Kirk the tour of the Enterprise in dry dock. I've watched the movie countless times and never noticed this before!
pfontaine2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 01:47 PM   #10
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral
 
King Daniel Into Darkness's Avatar
 
Location: England again
Re: Those little details you miss

22 Stars wrote: View Post
Klingons have been confirmed for JJ Trek 2013? Where is that source? And they will look like Victor Garber from the JJ Trek 09? Where is that source?
This one-second flash from a JJ Abrams movie highlight reel during an interview a few months ago (done right after they wrapped filming) is NOT from the STXI deleted scenes:
__________________
Star Trek Imponderables, fun mashups of Trek's biggest continuity errors! Ep1, Ep2 and Ep3
King Daniel Into Darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 02:03 PM   #11
Indysolo
Fleet Captain
 
Indysolo's Avatar
 
Location: Sunny California
Re: Those little details you miss

pfontaine2 wrote: View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

I only just recently noticed a face in the Enterprise's window as Scotty docks the shuttle craft after giving Admiral Kirk the tour of the Enterprise in dry dock. I've watched the movie countless times and never noticed this before!
That poor guy is stuck there in Star Trek II as well. Doesn't anyone ever let him out?
__________________
"Garret Wang's costume was so 'West Hollywood', I offered to be best man at his wedding."
-Walter Koenig on Garret Wang's Of Gods and Men costume
Indysolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 02:12 PM   #12
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Those little details you miss

How? There's no door!

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a.../tmphd0388.jpg
http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/a.../tmphd0390.jpg

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 02:25 PM   #13
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral
 
Captaindemotion's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: Those little details you miss

^Beam him out?
__________________
Hodor!!!!!!!
Captaindemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 02:43 PM   #14
Timo
Admiral
 
Re: Those little details you miss

...Curiously, the other window shows a wall with a grillework that closely matches that on the interior set. Which is good continuity, but the grille in the set is rather down low, below shoulder level, suggesting that the guy peeking out is crouching deep down, or a dwarf!

The apparent floor level indicated by the docking port establishes this already anyway. What was Probert thinking, placing these portholes so low in relation to the doors? Perhaps he assumed that the interior set would have stairs not unlike those found in the "topside docking port" set through which Spock enters?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 12:15 AM   #15
The Castellan
Commodore
 
The Castellan's Avatar
 
Location: The Plains of Cydonia
Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan
Re: Those little details you miss

I just say the ship was haunted, or something.
__________________
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.