Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 18 2012, 10:24 PM   #1
dstyer
Lieutenant Junior Grade

New Frontier no more?

With no new novel from the New Frontier line announced (that I've seen - apologies if I'm not up to date), has anyone heard if Peter is done with his corner of the sandbox?
dstyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2012, 11:05 PM   #2
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile
Re: New Frontier no more?

It's all up to Pocket at this point. No new book has been ordered, but neither has the series officially come to an end. It all depends on the sales of the last book weather another will follow. I for one hope for the next to be the last, an epic finale to the series so that we aren't left hanging without a final book.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2012, 11:36 PM   #3
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

dstyer wrote: View Post
With no new novel from the New Frontier line announced (that I've seen - apologies if I'm not up to date), has anyone heard if Peter is done with his corner of the sandbox?
PAD is awaiting an invitation to pitch a new story. He's not "done" with NF but is always busy with lots of other stuff, so until that invitation comes from Pocket's editor, it seems we are at a stalemate. If sales of the last two (in trade PB, with MMPB reprint a year later, rather than the old hardcover deal he used to have) were disappointing, that might be it for a while.

In 2011, PAD said, on his blog:
http://www.peterdavid.net/2011/04/25/blind-mans-bluff/

and in the linked interview, he says:
"I do have thoughts as to how I’d wrap up the series if given the opportunity. I also have a lot of interesting directions I’d take the books if the series keeps going. But I honestly have no clue if that’s going to come to pass. 'Blind Man’s Bluff' was the last book on my current contract, and I’ve been asking Pocket for a year if the series is going to be continuing. I have yet to get a straight answer, or any answer. So for all I know, 'Blind Man’s Bluff' is the last hurrah of New Frontier."
http://www.startrek.com/article/pete...ind-mans-bluff
But there's no reason why it can't bob up again some day. Good characters have a way of surviving.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 12:19 AM   #4
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

I'm hoping we'll get just one last final entry so the whole crew gets a proper conclusion from PAD. After that, I wouldn't mind seeing them pop up now and then in the "main line" of books during the Typhon Pact era.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Emh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 01:10 AM   #5
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile

Emh wrote: View Post
I'm hoping we'll get just one last final entry so the whole crew gets a proper conclusion from PAD. After that, I wouldn't mind seeing them pop up now and then in the "main line" of books during the Typhon Pact era.
Soleta would be interesting in Kamemor's new Romulus, to be sure.
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 05:03 AM   #6
shanejayell
Captain

One wonders if other authors would pitch on NF with the current situation? I'd love a Typhon Pact book touching on NF...
Old August 19 2012, 07:15 AM   #7
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

shanejayell wrote: View Post
One wonders if other authors would pitch on NF with the current situation?
Doubtful. The pro authors aren't usually burning to use other authors' original characters. They are more likely to be busy creating their own. If PAD announces he's officially done with NF, then it might happen, but PAD is already on record as willing to do more. If asked.

More likely, perhaps: PAD might get asked to pitch a "Typhon Pact" contribution for his next NF.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 09:41 PM   #8
JD
Admiral

To be honest, I wouldn't mind a proper finale to NF, but if it is done for good I wouldn't be overly dissapointed. There are a lot better series out there (VOY Relaunch, Titan, TNG Relaunch...) that I would rather see the TPTB focus on.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 09:44 PM   #9
Mage
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
To be honest, I wouldn't mind a proper finale to NF, but if it is done for good I wouldn't be overly dissapointed. There are a lot better series out there (VOY Relaunch, Titan, TNG Relaunch...) that I would rather see the TPTB focus on.

That's basicly how I feel. I lost interest in NF after the entire Beings plot. I bought the novel that came after that, the one were Janos left at the end. But that's was it for me. To much of that novel just didn't make sense to me anymore. That little tribble-like creature being a mastermind? Calhoun ordering the destruction of the Kobiyahsi Maru and his teachers thought it was original thinking or something like that? It just got to silly for me.

But I do feel that any series should get a decent ending, and not just be cancelled. So, for the fans I hope there will be one last huraah.
Old August 19 2012, 10:04 PM   #10
Relayer1
Commodore

It needs to be rolled into the novel mainstream to be used occasionally like The Aventine.
Old August 20 2012, 05:42 AM   #11
JD
Admiral

I could see that working. Since NF is so associated with Peter David, I'd rather not get NF novels written by someone else, but I think cameos or guest supporting roles in other authors' books could be fun.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2012, 09:57 AM   #12
Mage
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
I could see that working. Since NF is so associated with Peter David, I'd rather not get NF novels written by someone else, but I think cameos or guest supporting roles in other authors' books could be fun.
KRAD already did that with Shelby, in Q&A. Worked very nicely if you ask me.
Old August 21 2012, 04:20 AM   #13
Ben Sisko
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think PAD burned up the last of his Trek cred with Before Dishonor.

That and he's never been good at playing by the established novelverse rules. THe NF novels became so outrageous and comicbook like that I stopped reading after McHenry turned into Apollo's son and all of Kebron's skin fell off.
Ben Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 10:21 AM   #14
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

Ben Sisko wrote: View Post
I think PAD burned up the last of his Trek cred with Before Dishonor.

That and he's never been good at playing by the established novelverse rules. THe NF novels became so outrageous and comicbook like that I stopped reading after McHenry turned into Apollo's son and all of Kebron's skin fell off.
"Became so outrageous"? The first book ended with a planet turning out to be a gigantic egg for an insanely giant bird that could fly through space at warp 9. The tone of the series was set from the get-go.
Old August 21 2012, 11:16 AM   #15
Drago-Kazov
Fleet Captain

I would like them to show up every now on the in other works. I only read some NF short stories because i do not have the time to read the whole thing and also i like to know how the aliens i am reading about look like.

Last edited by Drago-Kazov; August 21 2012 at 12:26 PM.
Drago-Kazov is offline   Reply With Quote