Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 10 2012, 09:46 PM   #31
Kira's Mom
Fleet Admiral

View Kira's Mom's Twitter Profile
Re: Avengers 2 News, Rumors, Etc. Pictures until release...

^Wow. He gets around, doesn't he?
Old August 11 2012, 09:08 AM   #32
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

release date?
Old August 11 2012, 09:22 AM   #33
Skywalker
Admiral

No surprise at all.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 08:42 PM   #34
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Vice Admiral

confirmed release date.

Mark it: May 1st 2015.
Old August 16 2012, 09:24 PM   #35
Skywalker
Admiral

That means filming will probably start in early 2014. Plenty of time for Joss to get the script polished.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2012, 04:32 AM   #36
Dream
Admiral

Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote: View Post
confirmed release date.

Mark it: May 1st 2015.
I'm glad they aren't rushing into a sequel. They are going to do a few other movies first. Marvel actually cares about doing their comic movies right.

YOU HEAR THAT WARNERS?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2012, 06:13 AM   #37
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

And just think, if we all work really hard for the next few years we'll probably be able to afford whatever format has been shoved down everyone's throats by 2015.
Old August 19 2012, 06:54 PM   #38
Aldo
Admiral

I would hope Blu-Ray would stick around for a while. Considering I'm just now starting to adopt it.
Old August 19 2012, 07:04 PM   #39
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Awesome. While I like the revolving door idea, I'd prefer if they got the whole cast together for at least one more film--though I understand RDJ might be a tough sell.

In related news:

Outstanding Avengers series canceled after half season.
Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
In related news:

"Cancelled Avengers series soars in DVD sales"

"Wheadon Fans send shawarma's to tv studio"

"Summer Glau to guest star on "Avengers" series"
Meanwhile, Avengers 2 shows Hawkeye dealing with PTSD after having been kidnapped and mind-controlled by Loki, while Captain America is still having serious problems adjusting to the life in the 21st century environment and starts going off the rails a bit. Some fans greet this as a great example of gritty, psychologically realistic storytelling, but others, who have previously lauded The Avengers as better than Nolan's Batman trilogy because "superheroes movies are supposed to be fun", now declare that the franchise has become too glum and depressing and "jumped the shark". To make things worse, it turns out that Bruce still has problems controlling his Hulk transformations and has to deal with his rage issues, while Tony does something really self-centered and he and Pepper temporarily break up. A bunch of fans get really pissed off and complain that this makes no sense since they had already dealt with those problems in the previous movie, and that this means Bruce will never have problems controlling Hulk, while Tony has overcome his character flaws, and that Joss just does this to create unnecessary drama and because he can't let characters be happy. If any of the characters die in the movie, this seals the deal and it's proclaimed that Joss is up to his old tricks. On the other hand, of the new fans unfamiliar with Joss' previous work declare that there's no way that the guy who made the first movie is someone who's into dark, depressing storylines, screwed-up characters and heartbreak, so they conclude that Joss was probably too busy developing the Avengers TV show and that it's one of other people working on the movie who's to blame.

In the meantime, in the new Thor movie, Thor manages to get Loki to start reforming. He appears at some point in the Avengers movie as a somewhat of an ambiguously good-ish guy, to the delight of many Loki fans who wants to see him redeemed, but a bunch of other fans declare that they liked him much better when he was evil, and that he's completely ruined now, since he now does nothing but whine about his parentage and about his brother and whether his father loved him enough. Which is completely different from the time when he was evil, when he was always whining about his parentage and his brother and whether his father loved him enough, but he somehow did it in a much cooler way. His redemption story is a bumpy road though, and he gets to do something bad on screen, which he feels bad about. Some Loki fans, enraged by this, declare that this is completely OOC since Loki has been good for a very long time, actually he was never actually that bad, and Joss and the people at Marvel just hate and don't understand his character. On the other hand, a bunch of fans declare that Loki's character is now forever ruined for them - he was so lovable when he was a genocidal maniac and when he was killing over 80 people over the space of two days, but now he's just disgusting.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 07:32 PM   #40
Aldo
Admiral

^^^^
Is it sad that every piece of that made complete sense to me?

I remember a lot of those complaints during Season 6 of Buffy.
Old August 19 2012, 08:06 PM   #41
CorporalClegg
Admiral

DevilEyes wrote: View Post
Awesome. While I like the revolving door idea, I'd prefer if they got the whole cast together for at least one more film--though I understand RDJ might be a tough sell.

In related news:

Samurai8472 wrote: View Post
In related news:

"Cancelled Avengers series soars in DVD sales"

"Wheadon Fans send shawarma's to tv studio"

"Summer Glau to guest star on "Avengers" series"
Meanwhile, Avengers 2 shows Hawkeye dealing with PTSD after having been kidnapped and mind-controlled by Loki, while Captain America is still having serious problems adjusting to the life in the 21st century environment and starts going off the rails a bit. Some fans greet this as a great example of gritty, psychologically realistic storytelling, but others, who have previously lauded The Avengers as better than Nolan's Batman trilogy because "superheroes movies are supposed to be fun", now declare that the franchise has become too glum and depressing and "jumped the shark". To make things worse, it turns out that Bruce still has problems controlling his Hulk transformations and has to deal with his rage issues, while Tony does something really self-centered and he and Pepper temporarily break up. A bunch of fans get really pissed off and complain that this makes no sense since they had already dealt with those problems in the previous movie, and that this means Bruce will never have problems controlling Hulk, while Tony has overcome his character flaws, and that Joss just does this to create unnecessary drama and because he can't let characters be happy. If any of the characters die in the movie, this seals the deal and it's proclaimed that Joss is up to his old tricks. On the other hand, of the new fans unfamiliar with Joss' previous work declare that there's no way that the guy who made the first movie is someone who's into dark, depressing storylines, screwed-up characters and heartbreak, so they conclude that Joss was probably too busy developing the Avengers TV show and that it's one of other people working on the movie who's to blame.

In the meantime, in the new Thor movie, Thor manages to get Loki to start reforming. He appears at some point in the Avengers movie as a somewhat of an ambiguously good-ish guy, to the delight of many Loki fans who wants to see him redeemed, but a bunch of other fans declare that they liked him much better when he was evil, and that he's completely ruined now, since he now does nothing but whine about his parentage and about his brother and whether his father loved him enough. Which is completely different from the time when he was evil, when he was always whining about his parentage and his brother and whether his father loved him enough, but he somehow did it in a much cooler way. His redemption story is a bumpy road though, and he gets to do something bad on screen, which he feels bad about. Some Loki fans, enraged by this, declare that this is completely OOC since Loki has been good for a very long time, actually he was never actually that bad, and Joss and the people at Marvel just hate and don't understand his character. On the other hand, a bunch of fans declare that Loki's character is now forever ruined for them - he was so lovable when he was a genocidal maniac and when he was killing over 80 people over the space of two days, but now he's just disgusting.

You are my hero for the day.
Old August 19 2012, 09:25 PM   #42
FPAlpha
Vice Admiral

Well.. substituting Buffy character names for Marvel heroes is not very original..

Anyway.. during his TV years it became apparent that Joss liked some shock moments but used them too much. With Buffy it was original.. Tara's death, the break up of happy couples but when he repeated the same thing with Angel it became somewhat annoying and predictable (though Wesley/Fred was done very well and was really heartbreaking).

I have no doubt that if Firefly had a normal run one of the couples (i guess Simon and Kaylee would have gotten together, maybe even Mal and Inara) would have been torn apart pretty brutally as has happened in Serenity (which was a Free for All since it was the end of Firefly in movie/TV form).

It's one of the very few beefs i have with Joss.. he re-used too many shticks for them be original and unpredictable but i didn't see any of these except for the one shocking death of a beloved character (i guess he can't shake his style completely).
Joss needs to expand his range of writing because it just isn't good writing when the audience just waits for the inevitable death and just knows that the happy couple onscreen won't make it.

Other than that he really is perfect for these kinds of movies.. he strikes the perfect balance between drama, action, humor and suspense and i dare say few would have delivered an equally good Avengers movie.

Despite his flaws i am so looking forward to Avengers 2.
FPAlpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 05:38 PM   #43
Nick Ryder
Fleet Captain

Well keep in mind, he's playing in the Marvel sandbox with characters he doesn't really 'own'. Unless he brings some new ones that he personally created in one of his own runs writing for Marvel, then he can't really dick around too much with the way the tentpole characters are written. Now that said, I do forsee Avengers being a bit darker - simply because of what we already know about Iron Man 3 where Tony really just 'into' the whole super hero thing and the others sort of are hesitant to come back, so maybe I can see the first act or so being incredibly dark and depressing. But then it picks up toward the 2nd and 3rd act and hits the right 'fun' 'quirky' Whedon-esque notes.

I would really love to see more of Cap struggling with 21st Century life. I mean let's be honest, things aren't THAT different between how Cap was in the 40s to how he was in 2012, I mean he was still in a military setting with SHIELD, he was still fighting a war against powerfully armed bad guys. He was still part of a unit. Not much was really all that different. Sure there was more tech, sure there's a different 'feel' to things, but I'd like to see him, having had months (or even a couple of years) to get used to 21st Century life and see him sort of struggle with it. I mean would Captain America carry a cell phone? Would he play video games - lol be a hoot to see him playing Call of Duty and bitching all the while. 'Oh that's not how it was like AT ALL. Those lugers have far less range than that.'

I COULD see Hawkeye maybe changing personality-wise. I would love to see him be more like the Hawkeye from the comics, a bit arrogant, jerky, snarky and kind of funny. Maybe as a mask to hide his PTSD.

I COULD see Bruce still struggling with the Hulk side of things - sure he's got some measure of control, but Hulk is still a challenge to control when he's Hulked out. I mean everyone forgets that he DID smash up the SHIELD helicarrier and stalked Black Widow through the ship, fully intending to 'smash' her. So Bruce is far from having complete control of the Hulk. Sure in the last act, it seemed like that finally happened. But its tenuous at best. Sure he can control the transformation, but it's getting the Hulk himself to behave that's the trick.

Tony will be Tony - he'll go between being this great, fun guy to a total douchenozzle and back again. It's his 'thing'.
Old August 21 2012, 05:52 PM   #44
Harvey
Admiral

Aldo wrote: View Post
I would hope Blu-Ray would stick around for a while. Considering I'm just now starting to adopt it.
It probably will. The infrastructure needed to have a higher resolution than HD will take years to develop and implement, if there's even a will for it. The next thing you'll see studios pushing is Blu-Ray 3D, but I just don't see people seriously adopting it. I only have three titles in the format -- one came with the player, and the other two were gifts (that also have the 2D version of the movie).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2012, 05:59 PM   #45
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Went shopping today and there's a whole shitload of films on bluray 3D.

And since I own a PS3 and 3D blu rays can be watched on 2D screens as well, I'm going to buy 3D blurays of 3D films in the future, even though I don't have a 3D TV yet.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote