Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

New Trek Puzzles
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Star Trek Online: Delta Rising
By: T'Bonz on Oct 15

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 19 2012, 03:35 PM   #646
Warped9
Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

I would have appreciated a small booklet telling me what episodes are on which disc or a listing of episodes on the disc cover itself. Getting neither is really cheap as I have to insert a disc to before I can know what's on it. The only certainties are the first three episodes on Disc 1 and the last episodes on the last disc. Anything else is guesswork because I don't know the order of the episodes by heart.
Old August 19 2012, 03:44 PM   #647
Ghostface1701
Commander

You don't have the episode listings on the inside cover, like on the UK release? That does seem a bit cheap.

I don't like the plain print on the discs themselves, and I wish I didn't have to skip or sit through the language selection and CBS and DTS logos to get to the main menu every time, but I'll live with it.
Ghostface1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 03:46 PM   #648
Warped9
Admiral

Ghostface1701 wrote: View Post
You don't have the episode listings on the inside cover, like on the UK release? That does seem a bit cheap.
Damn, I just noticed that. Thanks for mentioning it. I completely missed it. Still, it seems very much an afterthought and I wonder how many other people missed it.
Old August 19 2012, 05:14 PM   #649
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

I prefer the simpler case for this set. However the lack of episode titles on the disc annoys me, as I have to remove Disc 1 if I want to look at the episode listing.

Having to select English and sit through the CBS logo is annoying as well.

I also dislike the change of the Copyright and removal of the Paramount logo at the end of the episodes. I understand CBS remastered the show, but it was Paramount who made it and their logo should have stayed, I feel like the episodes were violated by its removal.
Old August 19 2012, 05:32 PM   #650
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Yeah, the packaging leaves a LOT to be desired.

And yeah the episode listing on the inside cover seems like an after thought and it's still not easy to read since you first have to remove Disc 1 to see it and even then the plastic forms of the case itself makes it hard to fully read the listing(s.) Would it have been that hard for each disc to have a label on it listing the episodes?

I sort of like the DVD packaging it feels large and grand, exactly what it should be for this series. Though smaller packaging of the BD is nice it just feels... cheap and like and after thought.

And, yeah, choosing a language when loading up each disc is annoying. The intro to and menu itself is bland with most of the screen being empty. Even when you go to episode selection the episode preview is a small, still, photo from the episode? Why not when highlighting an episode have a full-video going on in the VAST OPEN SPACE of the menu screen?!
Old August 19 2012, 05:50 PM   #651
beamMe
Fleet Captain

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Who really cares about that?
The important stuff is on the Discs.
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 05:52 PM   #652
Salinga
Captain

It's true: The DVD menus have a lot more creativity in them than the Blu-Rays. And the packaging of the silver boxes with the DVDs looks still awesome.
Salinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 06:07 PM   #653
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

beamMe wrote: View Post
Who really cares about that?
The important stuff is on the Discs.
You mean like audio issues?
Old August 19 2012, 06:38 PM   #654
Warped9
Admiral

While I can appreciate the enhanced viewing experience the rest feels like a rush job. I really don't mind the smaller packaging, but the lack of episode listings in a handy booklet or on the disc labels themselves is annoying.
Old August 19 2012, 06:55 PM   #655
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

The smaller packaging, yeah, isn't a big deal but sort of just feels more "rushed" than most other TV series sets. But the complete lack of a decent episode guide sticks out terribly.
Old August 19 2012, 07:01 PM   #656
davejames
Vice Admiral

Hide and Q is actually a much stronger episode than I remember. The scenes between Picard and Q, and Riker and Q, are really well written, it's a lot of fun watching Riker strut around the bridge (and talk down to Picard) as a member of the Q, and there's some genuinely touching moments like the death of the girl and Data refusing to let Riker make him human as part of his "gift."

The only thing that really drags it down is that awful, cheesy alien planet.

And I suppose they do rush through the Riker storyline a little too fast. He seems corrupted way too quickly, and there's probably a lot more stuff they could have done with the idea. Maybe it could have benefited from being a two-parter.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 07:11 PM   #657
davejames
Vice Admiral

Salinga wrote: View Post
It's true: The DVD menus have a lot more creativity in them than the Blu-Rays. And the packaging of the silver boxes with the DVDs looks still awesome.
I agree with the other complaints, but I far prefer the simpler, straightforward menus on the blu-rays.

Those over-elaborate menus on the Trek DVDs, with all the animation and graphics and sub-menus, always annoyed the hell out of me. And today they look cheesier than ever.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 08:20 PM   #658
Patrick O'Brien
Captain

davejames wrote: View Post
gaghyogi49 wrote: View Post
Here's the latest observations article. This time: "Lonely among us".:

"Lonely among us" at EAS
Never realized the Anticans popped up again in so many episodes. Guess I wasn't paying close enough attention.
Good observation Dave, I must admit I did not notice either. Looks like the Selay got a few more appearances too. After "Lonely Among Us", the Selay appeared in two more episodes, namely in "Ménage à Troi" and in "Tapestry".
Old August 19 2012, 09:11 PM   #659
mswood
Rear Admiral

The smaller packaging, yeah, isn't a big deal but sort of just feels more "rushed" than most other TV series sets. But the complete lack of a decent episode guide sticks out terribly.
Compared to what sets. I own about 15 different tv shows on Blu-Ray, and that is standard practice. None come with inserts, episode listing are on the inside covers.

In fact its that way for films as well.

I haven't seen the type of material you are talking about since moving to the Blu-Ray format 3 years ago.

I think its only DVD's that I have ever had little booklets included, and some of those an episode listings on them (but not many), and of course many of those came with more varied designs. But for the most part I hated those designs. I hated the Modern Trek DVD releases as they were awful. Hard to access, hard to store, just awful.

Last edited by mswood; August 19 2012 at 09:42 PM.
mswood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2012, 02:15 AM   #660
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

TNG is the only series I have on BD so far. (And probably ever.) And the episode listing just disappointed me. Again, if not a booklet or slip it should have at least been printed on the discs as the inside-cover listing is only readable when the 1st disc is removed and even then it's difficult.