RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,713
Members: 24,835
Currently online: 557
Newest member: SB118_T'Mar

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 11 2012, 02:00 PM   #916
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

The escape from Moria was not one of those longing moments, obviously, so I wouldn't have thought of including it.
Old August 18 2012, 10:24 AM   #917
Aragorn
Admiral

If anyone is a Stargate SG-1 (and an LOTR) fan, I have some bad news for you -- The Asylum has their Hobbit ripoff lined up for this year called "Age of the Hobbits," and according to their website, it stars Christopher Judge.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2012, 10:40 AM   #918
RoJoHen
Awesome

He seems a little big for a Hobbit.
Old August 18 2012, 11:03 AM   #919
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

That's just forced perspective everytime he's on screen somewhere.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2012, 01:55 PM   #920
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Aragorn wrote: View Post
If anyone is a Stargate SG-1 (and an LOTR) fan, I have some bad news for you -- The Asylum has their Hobbit ripoff lined up for this year called "Age of the Hobbits," and according to their website, it stars Christopher Judge.
Age of the Hobbits sounds brilliant:
In an age long ago, the last village of clever, peace-loving Hobbits is attacked and enslaved by the Java Men, komodo-worshiping, dragon-riding cannibals. Now the young Hobbit Goben, along with his father and sister, must seek help from the "giants" (human hunters) to find the Javas' lair and rescue the last surviving Hobbits, Goben's mother among them. In their quest to destroy the Javas, the heroic partnership of humans and Hobbits will transform both species forever.
(Note: "Brilliant" is sarcastic.)

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2012, 02:44 PM   #921
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Is Kate Mulgrew (AKA Kathryn Janeway) going to be playing Queen of The Javas?

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2012, 08:18 PM   #922
propita
Rear Admiral

Covering a number of issues:

Faramir

right around when the films came out, I had a "Philosophy of Tolkien" class where Faramir's character came up during class. My prof and I disagreed on it. He said that Faramir was not to be commended for resisting the Ring because he was never tempted by it. I said that saying Faramir was not "good" for an innate ability to resist the Ring was analogous to not applauding a child for being a musical prodigy.

Three films:

There are 13 dwarves! They have got to be differentiated as characters for the audience to care about them possibly dying. That's going to take some screen time. Bilbo's fears have to be shown (not stated) for the story to work, his going from his comfortable little life to dangerous adventures--how comfortable and why he would go.

I can see that some time would be taken in the family trees. Not necessarily a lot of time, but something showing how hobbits became, well, complacent. Which would go towards why Bilbo's actions were SO unusual for a hobbit. Heck, there could be a bit of Smeagol's people having to leave where they were due to men "invading," leading through the family trees and finally to Bilbo.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2012, 08:20 PM   #923
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

Possibly dying... LOL.

I always forget these films are aimed at non-readers.
Old August 19 2012, 10:11 AM   #924
beamMe
Fleet Captain

propita wrote: View Post
right around when the films came out, I had a "Philosophy of Tolkien" class where Faramir's character came up during class. ...
Wait! What?
beamMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 11:29 AM   #925
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Aragorn wrote: View Post
I remember when it was announced that Judge would be in The Dark Knight Rises and Stargate fans got all worked and started to guess how big his role would be and what a great role it would be, he then did a series of interviews talking about the film - then the it came out and it turned out that he was 'Henchman 47" and his appearance consisted of silently having Batman kick his head in.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 01:34 PM   #926
BK613
Captain

Covering a number of issues:

Three films:

There are 13 dwarves! They have got to be differentiated as characters for the audience to care about them possibly dying. That's going to take some screen time. Bilbo's fears have to be shown (not stated) for the story to work, his going from his comfortable little life to dangerous adventures--how comfortable and why he would go.

I can see that some time would be taken in the family trees. Not necessarily a lot of time, but something showing how hobbits became, well, complacent. Which would go towards why Bilbo's actions were SO unusual for a hobbit. Heck, there could be a bit of Smeagol's people having to leave where they were due to men "invading," leading through the family trees and finally to Bilbo.
The Hobbit is light on exposition but a lot happens in it (purposely ambiguous):

A long list that doesn't include anything extra about Dol Guldur.
Set Harth wrote: View Post
Possibly dying... LOL.

I always forget these films are aimed at non-readers.
Been a while since you read it?
Old August 19 2012, 01:37 PM   #927
The Mirrorball Man
Vice Admiral

View The Mirrorball Man's Twitter Profile

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
I remember when it was announced that Judge would be in The Dark Knight Rises and Stargate fans got all worked and started to guess how big his role would be and what a great role it would be, he then did a series of interviews talking about the film - then the it came out and it turned out that he was 'Henchman 47" and his appearance consisted of silently having Batman kick his head in.
Come on! He's playing "Mercenary Security #4", which is a completely different role.
Old August 19 2012, 01:40 PM   #928
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

I loved it, the whole cinema went "Teal'c!", "Indeed!!!"
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 04:33 PM   #929
propita
Rear Admiral

beamMe wrote: View Post
right around when the films came out, I had a "Philosophy of Tolkien" class where Faramir's character came up during class. ...
Wait! What?
You mean the class, or the fat that Faramir's character was discussed?

Assuming "the class," I needed a general ed class and figured this was good. The final was optional, consisting of the prof reading questions from a trivia book and the FOUR students present (it was raining, so most stayed home) tried to answer.

I was able to answer weird ones, amazing the prof.
- Who carved Durin's Doors?
- What was the name of Theoden's horse? Hell, I even knew the horse's mother/s (or maybe it's father's) name.

Same prof taught "Literature of the Old Testament" (which I took) and "Literature of the New Testament" as English courses. Fair amount of writing but no hard research. I think he was agnostic. Really. He wanted people to THINK about the words as literature, not as religious doctrine. Stumped a few religious students in class as they couldn't wrap their minds around that. I found that amusing.
propita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 05:42 PM   #930
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

BK613 wrote: View Post
Been a while since you read it?

I know who lives and who dies because I read it.