Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 14 2012, 01:08 AM   #1066
Reanok
Commodore

Re: So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Instaed od reading the Titan novel i started reeading Ben Bova's novel that's the thirds book of his Mars Trilogy.I liked the first 2 books in this series.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 12:49 AM   #1067
S. Gomez
Rear Admiral

Endgame wrote: View Post
I also just read "King John" by Shakespeare in preparation for going to Bard-on-the-Beach behind the Space Center at Kits (Kitsilano) Beach in Vancouver.
It's a fantastic performance. I deliberately didn't read it or a synopsis beforehand and loved discovering it on the stage. Enjoy the show!

I've been reading lots of comics alongside Last Call and wrote short reviews of some for my blog here. More reviews will come soon.
Old August 15 2012, 02:50 AM   #1068
WarsTrek1993
Captain

After Assignment Eternity, I'm now reading "Sarek" by A.C. Crispin. AE was brilliant, thank you, Greg Cox for another good read!
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 03:42 AM   #1069
Snaploud
Admiral

I just finished re-reading Replay by Ken Grimwood. It's still one of my all-time favorite books. I'm following it up by re-reading another of my favorites: Dying Inside by Robert Silverberg.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 03:43 AM   #1070
DaveR
Commander

View DaveR's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DaveR Send a message via Yahoo to DaveR

S. Gomez wrote: View Post
Endgame wrote: View Post
I also just read "King John" by Shakespeare in preparation for going to Bard-on-the-Beach behind the Space Center at Kits (Kitsilano) Beach in Vancouver.
It's a fantastic performance. I deliberately didn't read it or a synopsis beforehand and loved discovering it on the stage. Enjoy the show!

I've been reading lots of comics alongside Last Call and wrote short reviews of some for my blog here. More reviews will come soon.
Cool to see two fellow Vancouverites!

I'm currently reading the last Fate of the Jedi book, soon to be followed by the latest Jim C. Hines book, Libriomancer.
DaveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 04:11 AM   #1071
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Reading Star Wars: Jedi- The Dark Side. Not all that great so far.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 03:55 PM   #1072
Smellincoffee
Fleet Captain

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

I just finished A Man on the Moon, a history of Apollo by Neil Chaikan. Absolutely stellar.
Old August 15 2012, 04:31 PM   #1073
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

WarsTrek1993 wrote: View Post
After Assignment Eternity, I'm now reading "Sarek" by A.C. Crispin. AE was brilliant, thank you, Greg Cox for another good read!
Thanks! I had been waiting for years to bring Gary Seven and Roberta back.

Snaploud: I agree. Replay is a great book. I was plugging it at Shore Leave just last weekend. (As I recall, it won the World Fantasy Award way back when.)
Old August 15 2012, 04:47 PM   #1074
John Clark
Commodore

Currently, I've got "How firm a foundation" by David Weber on the go. I'll certainly get the next in the series next month when it comes out.
Old August 15 2012, 05:49 PM   #1075
Paris
Fleet Captain

Just finished Grant Morrison's first volume of Action Comics. It was great! No one does Superman like Grant
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 12:51 AM   #1076
WarsTrek1993
Captain

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
WarsTrek1993 wrote: View Post
Thanks! I had been waiting for years to bring Gary Seven and Roberta back.

Snaploud: I agree. Replay is a great book. I was plugging it at Shore Leave just last weekend. (As I recall, it won the World Fantasy Award way back when.)
Well, I'm glad you reunited the two, in addition to Gary's trusty feline.

I suppose I should also note that The Exile Of Khan was mesmerizing.
WarsTrek1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 02:44 AM   #1077
Cap'n Crunch
Commander

I just finished Psych: Mind-Altering Murder by William Rabkin. Surprisingly, I'm pretty disappointed in this novel, considering how much I liked the first two in the series (Mind Over Magic, specifically, was very funny). For some reason the characters seemed really out of character in this one (except for Lassiter), which is odd because the characterizations were spot on in the other two novels I read.

Up next is Starfleet Academy: The Assassination Game.
Some trees flourish, others die. Some cattle grow strong, others are taken by wolves. Some men are born rich enough and dumb enough to enjoy their lives. Ain't nothing fair. You know that. - John Marston, Red Dead Redemption
Cap'n Crunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 11:44 PM   #1078
JD
Admiral

I just read the short story "The Mongolian Wizard" by Michael Swanwick on Tor.com. I thought it was pretty cool. It's well written, and takes place in a what seems to be a pretty cool fantasy universe. .
It follows a young German (I think) nobleman, in a world were the European nobility is made up almost entirely of wizards. I'm not very good at identifying time periods, but if I had to guess I'd say it was sometime in the 1800s. There's also a second story following one of the characters called "The Fire Gown" that I'll probably start tomorrow.
My Rating: 9/10
I actually just discovered Tor.com a couple months ago, but this was the first time I checked out one of their short stories.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2012, 03:32 AM   #1079
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

I just finished The Long Earth by Stephen Baxter & Terry Pratchett. A very interesting idea and some decent characters, but the ending was rushed and left much to be desired. I'm hoping for a sequel.

About 2/3rds through The Walls of the Universe by Paul Melko. Absolutely fantastic novel so far. I'm going to try and finish it tonight.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2012, 01:01 PM   #1080
Smellincoffee
Fleet Captain

View Smellincoffee's Twitter Profile

I just finished Q-Squared by Peter David. What a ride! I haven't read much of David before, but the two Q novels I've read from him so far this year have both been hilarious. I think I might have to look up his pre-Destiny TNG relaunch novel.