Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old August 16 2012, 11:29 AM   #136
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

Re: Exploring a darker theme in a future star trek series

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Even in supposedly dark DS9 the characters were emotional Gumbys, just like TOS.

Ziyal is cruelly murdered? Thats okay, lets have a Klingon wedding with plenty of hijinx! Odo helped the enemy? whatever, we forgive him and reinstate him as chief of security. Sisko advises the Bajorans against the interests of the Federation? Starfleet doesnt even notice. There's a terrible war going on, and the future of the Federation nags in the balance? That doesn't stop the station's officers from becoming obsessed with a holosuite baseball tournament.
So right. This is one of the things that annoys me most about any ST show....those people go through a lot of truly horrible stuff, I mean the writers do real numbers on them, and what are the repercussions? Nada!

Like O'Brien, who's the resident butt monkey (twice he got imprisoned - he spent a life sentence in his mind, in a horrible place, where he did horrible things), and it never, ever affects him. He is body-snatched and replaced by a robot and has a war trauma, he time-travels and sees everyone he knows getting blown up, he's fought the Borg...I could go on and on.

He never changes. It never affects him. Not one bit. He just doesn't give a fuck. That guy's more of a sociopath than Sheldon Cooper and Sherlock Holmes put together. Yikes.

Dark and gritty might be the wrong choice of words....I love optimism as much as the next girl, but Jesus, can actions please have consequences? Overcoming personal limitations, difficulties, conflict, fear, prejudice....that's what courage and optimism mean. If nothing amounts to anything, then being moral and brave and noble and chipper is not really an achievement at all.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 06:34 PM   #137
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

The level of emotional obliviousness displayed by Star Trek characters (for the convenience of moving the story along) would be laughed off the screen anywhere on cable nowadays except maybe on USA, which doesnt do sci fi, and SyFy, which barely does sci fi.

Wherever the next show ends up, it will almost certainly be someplace where the audience demands more emotional realism. That will be one change we'll see in the next series and I doubt it will be the only one.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2012, 05:07 PM   #138
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

The Castellan wrote: View Post
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Hell, no!

Every other series made out there, from Star Wars, to Battlestar, to even Doctor Who is dark and gritty already.

Just because we live in post 9-11 world, does not mean I want it crammed down my throat.

I like Trek because it shown man had actually gotten better, actually grew up and petty thing we fight over now is gone.
Star Trek only looks bright and happy because during TOS no one ever thought about the fact that they could die or be horribly tortured or be made a plaything of a godlike alien at any moment of the day and there wasn't a damned thing they could do about it, frankly I'm surprised most of the people in TOS were still sane.

Anything after that was just the trek-verse becoming boring as everyone held on to the whole utopia thing.

Personally I think Star Trek should go back to the days wen the universe was exciting and dangerous and take it a little more seriously when the darker things happen, while also having some fun occasionally.
The folks in TOS knew, from the beginning that, as Kirk said, "Risk IS the business." Dwelling on when and how one's going to get killing while serving on board a statship would be a vain occupation. Same with TNG. The first 2 or 3 years of TNG showed how unsafe and dangerous space could be, and everyone on the Enterprise knew that, they just are not the paranoid, panic mongering people you see on stuff like...say, Doctor Who....the English public in the new series panic at anything beyond the mundane, the Daleks would be doing them a favor by wiping them out.

And regarding Utopia, whatever they have going in that world, socially, economically and politcally, sure's a hell of a lot better than what we got, and if given a chance, I'd go there, and flip this world off.
Me too.

When the fans say they want the next series to have "repercussions", what they are really saying is wallowing in emotions. Doing that is not healthy and not good, and I will never see the attraction to it. I'm sure the Star Trek characters dealt with their emotions,such as Picard with his assimliation, we just never saw it. You're not supposed to do that in public anyway. That's for you alone in private.

Grieve, then pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and move onto the next thing. That's what we saw in Star Trek, and that's how it should be in real life.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2012, 12:42 PM   #139
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

The level of emotional obliviousness displayed by Star Trek characters (for the convenience of moving the story along) would be laughed off the screen anywhere on cable nowadays except maybe on USA, which doesnt do sci fi, and SyFy, which barely does sci fi.

Wherever the next show ends up, it will almost certainly be someplace where the audience demands more emotional realism. That will be one change we'll see in the next series and I doubt it will be the only one.
Agreed. Changes are necessary because ST needs to adapt to modern TV.

To me, it's one of the most important things, having the characters actually feel the emotional impact of an event for more than the rest of the episode.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22 2012, 05:20 AM   #140
lonewriter
Lieutenant Commander

I hate zombies so I wouldn't watch that. The Andorians are going extinct in the novels, that's why they left the federation because the withheld medical information in the Typhon books, which I love btw. I'd love to see a darker trek series.
Old August 22 2012, 09:23 PM   #141
Mars
Captain

Here's an obvious one, how about a Star Trek Series set in the Mirror Universe, the protagonists would be rebels fighting the Terran Empire, yes it would be in the 23rd century. I have a few ideas regarding this. How about some of the Rebels being Khan's men who rebelled against him, they managed to escape in the SS Botany Bay during the Eugenics War, that Eugenics war being fought between the victors of World War II the Americans and the Third Reich for domination of the Globe. Khan Noonan Singh throws his support in favor of the American Imperium. Defeating the Axis Powers and their race of Supermen. Some American Rebels along with some of Khans men escape on the Botany Bay. At a certain point the Botany Bay is rescued by the ISS Enterprise. This is the Mirror Universe Counterpart of the Star Trek XI movie where the Romulan Nero kills Kirk's Father and destroys Vulcan, the Mirror Universe has a different version of this story. The Rebels of the SS Botany Bay take over the ISS Enterprise and Spock joins them, and they begin plotting their revolution to overthrow the Terran Empire.

How does that sound?
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 12:45 AM   #142
Cmdr Ji Qi Ren
Ensign

Haven't read all of this, so maybe this has been said before:
How about a far distant future in which the Federation has been destroyed by some war and the heroics of well-known Starfleet officers are only remembered as legends. There are different factions, all trying to rebuild the Federation in their own way and using different variations of the legends as a justification?
Cmdr Ji Qi Ren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26 2012, 06:46 AM   #143
Mars
Captain

300 years is far distant to me, it is longer than I shall live. If you want thousands of years, there is always star wars, that is tens of thousands of years old.
Old August 27 2012, 02:56 AM   #144
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

Cmdr Ji Qi Ren wrote: View Post
How about a far distant future in which the Federation has been destroyed by some war and the heroics of well-known Starfleet officers are only remembered as legends. There are different factions, all trying to rebuild the Federation in their own way and using different variations of the legends as a justification?
You should probably go watch Andromeda.
Old August 27 2012, 08:06 AM   #145
The Castellan
Commodore

Send a message via Yahoo to The Castellan

BillJ wrote: View Post
Cmdr Ji Qi Ren wrote: View Post

Or read tons of Star Wars comics and novels.
The meaning of the apocalypse is the opposite of what most people think. It does not mean the end of the world; it means the revealing of hidden secrets and the beginning of a heaven on earth. The apocalypse is starting now.
The Castellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2012, 07:23 AM   #146
Cmdr Ji Qi Ren
Ensign

BillJ wrote: View Post
Thanks, I'll try that when I'm done re-watching Star Trek

Or read tons of Star Wars comics and novels.
I don't get Star Wars I've watched all of the movies several times and have no idea what is going on in them. I know it's not exactly complex, but somehow ...
Old August 28 2012, 07:30 AM   #147
Cmdr Ji Qi Ren
Ensign

[QUOTE=RandyS;6816740][QUOTE=The Castellan;6810338]
Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post

Me too.

When the fans say they want the next series to have "repercussions", what they are really saying is wallowing in emotions. Doing that is not healthy and not good, and I will never see the attraction to it. I'm sure the Star Trek characters dealt with their emotions,such as Picard with his assimliation, we just never saw it. You're not supposed to do that in public anyway. That's for you alone in private.

Grieve, then pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and move onto the next thing. That's what we saw in Star Trek, and that's how it should be in real life.
I kind of agree with those who are saying that Star Trek is unrealistic in this respect.
But on the other hand... look at some crime series where the investigators crack jokes while standing next to a dead body and it seems to affect them even less than anything affects the characters on Star Trek....... I don't know..... if you're standing right next to the corpse of a person who has been killed at close quarters rather than be blown up by a neat little phaser beam or photon torpedo from hundreds of miles away.... shouldn't that affect you more?
Old August 29 2012, 03:03 AM   #148
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

I really can't see the MU working as an ongoing series. Its a one joke thing, and it would wear out its welcome very fast...

...unless they really go for the emotional/political realism angle. Instead of just treating the MU as a sleazy joke, which it devolved into, particularly on DS9, treat it with the seriousness and complexity of Game of Thrones. Hmm, that could work. There's a fantasy angle to the MU that fits in with modern cable show appetites for stuff like True Blood. It's an easy way to justify getting Trek out of the safe-vanilla tone that is going to simply bore the stuffing out of modern cable audiences. They've all gotten used to much redder meat.

But realistically, I'm still going with this as the likeliest option: CBS-Netflix co-production, distribute in America on Netflix, ditto for territories where Netflix has a presence, CBS handles distribution otherwise globally. Don't worry if you don't have Netflix where you are.

Tone is not far off from traditional Trek, maybe a bit more adult and significantly more serialized. More blood, more violent action, a bit racier, but nowhere near Showtime style graphic sex. You should be able to watch the show with your hip grandma. Intelligence/complexity level will hit somewhere between The Walking Dead and Falling Skies. Game of Thrones is wishful thinkng.

Setting: 23rd C, Abrams U to the extent we can tell. The way we'd be able to tell is when they bring in movie actors for guest shots. I could see Quinto, Nimoy and Cho agreeing to cameos or short plotlines.

Premise: Starfleet crew, going boldly, nothing fancy there. Not the Enterprise crew but reminiscent of them. No civil war, no corrupt Federation. Plenty of life left in the Starfleeters on patrol concept, particularly if its serialized, something we've really never seen.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2012, 10:19 PM   #149
Mars
Captain

I really can't see the MU working as an ongoing series. Its a one joke thing, and it would wear out its welcome very fast...

...unless they really go for the emotional/political realism angle. Instead of just treating the MU as a sleazy joke, which it devolved into, particularly on DS9, treat it with the seriousness and complexity of Game of Thrones. Hmm, that could work. There's a fantasy angle to the MU that fits in with modern cable show appetites for stuff like True Blood. It's an easy way to justify getting Trek out of the safe-vanilla tone that is going to simply bore the stuffing out of modern cable audiences. They've all gotten used to much redder meat.

But realistically, I'm still going with this as the likeliest option: CBS-Netflix co-production, distribute in America on Netflix, ditto for territories where Netflix has a presence, CBS handles distribution otherwise globally. Don't worry if you don't have Netflix where you are.

Tone is not far off from traditional Trek, maybe a bit more adult and significantly more serialized. More blood, more violent action, a bit racier, but nowhere near Showtime style graphic sex. You should be able to watch the show with your hip grandma. Intelligence/complexity level will hit somewhere between The Walking Dead and Falling Skies. Game of Thrones is wishful thinkng.

Setting: 23rd C, Abrams U to the extent we can tell. The way we'd be able to tell is when they bring in movie actors for guest shots. I could see Quinto, Nimoy and Cho agreeing to cameos or short plotlines.

Premise: Starfleet crew, going boldly, nothing fancy there. Not the Enterprise crew but reminiscent of them. No civil war, no corrupt Federation. Plenty of life left in the Starfleeters on patrol concept, particularly if its serialized, something we've really never seen.
I prefer science fiction shows that stimulate your mind, not your libido. I don't think it necessary to show blood and gore all the time either, I don't want Star Trek to be an adult show, I want it to stimulate children's imaginations as well. The minute Star Trek strays into R-rated territory, that means were giving up on the Next Generation, it is children who will build the spaceships of tomorrow and go to Mars, please don't send them upstairs.
Old August 29 2012, 10:20 PM   #150
Mars
Captain

[QUOTE=Cmdr Ji Qi Ren;6872360][QUOTE=RandyS;6816740]

I kind of agree with those who are saying that Star Trek is unrealistic in this respect.
But on the other hand... look at some crime series where the investigators crack jokes while standing next to a dead body and it seems to affect them even less than anything affects the characters on Star Trek....... I don't know..... if you're standing right next to the corpse of a person who has been killed at close quarters rather than be blown up by a neat little phaser beam or photon torpedo from hundreds of miles away.... shouldn't that affect you more?
There's a reason Battlestar Galactica chose bullets rather than blasters the previous show had, they wanted to show the blood and gore.