Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old August 16 2012, 03:54 PM   #571
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
Yeah, his entire career he was an ok, but not great player. The fact that he rose to be so good is what was surprising. That he used steroids is honestly the best explanation and the punishment is completely deserving since he would have left some team on the hook for millions of dollars that he only would have gotten because he used steroids.
But do we question everyone now who has a good year when they have historically been average? What kind of policy is that for a sport trying to clean up it's act and 20 years of stariods in the game (Maybe more). I think they need to be a lot harsher than the 50 games.
Old August 16 2012, 04:53 PM   #572
Use of Time
Commodore

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
Yeah, his entire career he was an ok, but not great player. The fact that he rose to be so good is what was surprising. That he used steroids is honestly the best explanation and the punishment is completely deserving since he would have left some team on the hook for millions of dollars that he only would have gotten because he used steroids.
But do we question everyone now who has a good year when they have historically been average? What kind of policy is that for a sport trying to clean up it's act and 20 years of stariods in the game (Maybe more). I think they need to be a lot harsher than the 50 games.
Just to clarify he was busted for testosterone not steroids. For a first time offender I'd say 50 games was accurate. Melky didn't argue either and pretty much admitted to rolling the dice so to speak.

In response to you, there is no "policy" on questioning players like Melky. It is human nature though. Unfortunately the precedent has been set that players performing well outside the norm will probably get a few raised eyebrows. Hell, I'll be the first one to admit that I was curious about Jose Bautista during his breakout year. I have the right to be skeptical.
Old August 16 2012, 11:19 PM   #573
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

But do we question everyone now who has a good year when they have historically been average?
No, but if you fail tests right after, I'm less surprised.
Old August 16 2012, 11:28 PM   #574
R. Star
Rear Admiral

But do we question everyone now who has a good year when they have historically been average?
No, but if you fail tests right after, I'm less surprised.
I'd say do it like the Olympics. Every time you win an award, be it player of the week/month, an All Star appointment, a Gold Glove, MVP etc, you get tested.

There is always going to be doubt in the game these days, but routine testing is a small price for a six/seven/eight figures a year paycheck.
Old August 16 2012, 11:38 PM   #575
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Use of Time wrote: View Post
Just to clarify he was busted for testosterone not steroids.
"Steroids" is the catch-all term for anything in the PED world, though, be it testosterone / epitestosterone, masking agents, horse semen or whatever the hell it is that people shoot into their butts.

Let's not all start thinking, though, that juicing up with some testosterone suddenly turned Cabrera into a freak of nature: He's got all of 11 home runs this season (of his 159 hits, 113 have been singles) and he's been boosted by an obscene .379 BABIP, which is completely unsustainable and 70 points above his career average. He's been lucky, unless you think that testosterone is Magic Singles Potion.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2012, 03:24 AM   #576
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

What I think is funny is that I saw a headline that said "Melky Cabrera tests positive for Testosterone." I was like... no shit! I hope he has some in his body.

Glad to see him get suspended 50 games. He's a piece of shit. Too bad they can't vacate all his RBIS.
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2012, 03:34 AM   #577
clint g
Admiral

Or the NL win at the all star game......
Old August 17 2012, 06:25 AM   #578
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Nah.. we'll keep that one!
Starbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2012, 07:09 AM   #579
clint g
Admiral

Darn, it was worth a shot
Old August 17 2012, 01:30 PM   #580
Use of Time
Commodore

Timby wrote: View Post
Use of Time wrote: View Post
Just to clarify he was busted for testosterone not steroids.
"Steroids" is the catch-all term for anything in the PED world, though, be it testosterone / epitestosterone, masking agents, horse semen or whatever the hell it is that people shoot into their butts.

Let's not all start thinking, though, that juicing up with some testosterone suddenly turned Cabrera into a freak of nature: He's got all of 11 home runs this season (of his 159 hits, 113 have been singles) and he's been boosted by an obscene .379 BABIP, which is completely unsustainable and 70 points above his career average. He's been lucky, unless you think that testosterone is Magic Singles Potion.
There is a lot that can be taken from this. PED's don't necesarilly have to translate into HR's for them to be effective. Melky plays in a tough home run ballpark. Melky has been a player with the reputation of being overweight and somewhat lazy. He came into this season in a contract year somewhat more tone as you can see his running the bases better this year.

Melky has never been a home run hitter. His approach to the plate is that of a singles hitter with a little power to the gaps. PED's do translate into "singles potion." Bat speed coupled with a hitter's intellect can translate into a higher AVG. The ball that doesn't get through on the ground can suddenly find that hole if hit harder. Those flyouts in the gaps can find that hole as well. That fastball that you are late on and foul off is now snaking down the line for a double. The improvement's aren't easily quantifiable but they are there. It should be no suprise that Melky decided to take a short cut. It's the kind of guy he is.

Testosterone does a lot of things. Improves recovery, can provide energy but above all it can improve confidence which Melky has shown in abundance this year.
Old August 18 2012, 09:03 PM   #581
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Cubs are about to extend Castro for seven years, $60 million, with a team option for the eighth year.

What the fuck is wrong with you, Theo? Any time you can lock up a player for huge money who has no plate discipline and is contending for the Starlin Castro Triple Crown (outs made, times caught stealing, errors), that's really something you don't want to do.
Old August 18 2012, 10:10 PM   #582
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Cubs are about to extend Castro for seven years, $60 million, with a team option for the eighth year.

What the fuck is wrong with you, Theo? Any time you can lock up a player for huge money who has no plate discipline and is contending for the Starlin Castro Triple Crown (outs made, times caught stealing, errors), that's really something you don't want to do.
Please say that's a joke. We still have team control of him for four years, why is he even -thinking- of an extension?
Old August 18 2012, 10:23 PM   #583
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

R. Star wrote: View Post

Please say that's a joke. We still have team control of him for four years, why is he even -thinking- of an extension?
It's not unheard-of for teams to buy out a player's arbitration years to get some guarantee of cost control.

It's just that they tend to do it with players who, you know, don't suck.

I mean, maybe the Cubs' endgame is that they think they can sucker some moron like Dan Duquette or Ben Cherington into trading for Castro because they'll think he's worth more because his arb years are bought out, but ... good Lord, this is a moronic contract extension if it goes through, because he's going to be untradeable junk during the last three years of the deal, after his exposure as a two-tool player is complete.
Old August 18 2012, 11:35 PM   #584
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Hey Cubbies pitching and defense win. Signing a guy long term who is in the top three for errors every year is a recipie for failure. But of course you would know all about that wouldnt you.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2012, 01:48 AM   #585
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Icemizer wrote: View Post
Hey Cubbies pitching and defense win. Signing a guy long term who is in the top three for errors every year is a recipie for failure. But of course you would know all about that wouldnt you.
Got any more pearls of wisdom? Maybe one I couldn't get from any drunk in the peanut gallery?