RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,720
Posts: 5,214,757
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 789
Newest member: dmhp32


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 7 2012, 06:24 PM   #16
RandyS
Vice Admiral
 
RandyS's Avatar
 
Location: Randyland
View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Wesley Crusher: Racist

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Yeah, that's exactly what Wesley is

If anything, Mendon is the racist.

But considering the same actor played both characters, they really do look alike to me.
They even sound alike.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2012, 09:47 PM   #17
BriGuy
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Re: Wesley Crusher: Racist

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
Aw, lots of people in ST were racist, or specie-ist.
How many times does someone remark "Typical Klingon, always yadda yadda yadda" or "That would be the Romulan way of..." or "Leave it to the Ferengi to..." or "Only a Vulcan would do something something".

No one seems to mind generalizing entire races. But use that same language when talking about Irish or Japanese or Jews or Africans or French or Hindus or any other human group...
If you think about it, every race/species in Trek is stereotyped, as in known for a particular way of acting, thinking, behaving, doing things, etc.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 12:26 AM   #18
Cyke101
Rear Admiral
 
Cyke101's Avatar
 
Re: Wesley Crusher: Racist

Tosk wrote: View Post
Cyke101 wrote: View Post
After all, both Mordock and Mendon were played by John Patch, perhaps as a way to subtly and humorously further Wesley's faux pas.
Putch.
All Putches look the same to me!
__________________
“You do not use science in order to prove yourself right, you use science in order to become right.”
Cyke101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 12:57 AM   #19
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: Wesley Crusher: Racist

Ar-Pharazon wrote: View Post
Yeah, that's exactly what Wesley is

If anything, Mendon is the racist.

But considering the same actor played both characters, they really do look alike to me.
R. Star wrote: View Post
You know, you can blame Wesley for a lot of things, chief among them being an annoying ass, but rascist? That's stretching things to the point of absurdity or just plain trolling.
LOL!

I was going to do an eye-rollie and say something like "typical Trekkies can't tell when someone is obviously posting in good humor..." but then I realized that now *I* was being prejucide and generalizing.
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 08:08 AM   #20
The Borg Queen
Rear Admiral
 
The Borg Queen's Avatar
 
Location: Does it matter?
Re: Wesley Crusher: Racist

Does "Geostructure" mean planet though, or is just another word that means something vaguely similar to family/household? Perhaps Mordock & Mendon were cousins.
__________________
.
The Borg Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 09:04 AM   #21
MacLeod
Admiral
 
Location: Great Britain
Re: Wesley Crusher: Racist

Not a direct analogy I know, but lets say you spend one or two days with a person, then a few months later you see someone who looks exactly like them. Only it's their twin.

^Like above I got the impression than geostructure didn't mean planet, but somthing along the lines of what The Borg Queen says. Gamily/household may be to narrow a definition however and ethnic group might be too broad a definition.
__________________
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 11:52 AM   #22
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral
 
Trekker4747's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Wesley Crusher: Racist

The Borg Queen wrote: View Post
Does "Geostructure" mean planet though, or is just another word that means something vaguely similar to family/household? Perhaps Mordock & Mendon were cousins.
"Geo-" is a prefix that means "earth." We could quibble that in a world where other habitable planets it's been based more on "soil" or simply "planet" than the literal planet called "Earth." "Structure" of course means a construct.

So "geostructure" could either mean "we're from the same planet" or "we're from the same continent" on the planet. Which would mean that Mendon and Mordock we're of the same "race" of Benzites. (Living on different continents would probably be the same on Benzar as it would be on Earth. Humans who evolved in Europe look different than humans who evolved in Africa; in the latter the harsher sun causing more melanin in the skin to develop producing people with darker skin.)

So, again, (in the show context) Mendon and Mordock only "look alike" because they happen to be from the same area of the same planet.

Kidding aside on calling Wesley a racist for his comment, and it was obviously put there to explain to the audience that this wasn't the same Benzite we saw earlier (though there's no reason people would make such a connection given the context of his visiting and being told he has a different name), it's pretty... "Unprofessional" to go up to an alien and assume he's someone of the same race you know from a year ago when a)you were just told his name and b)just told he was visiting on an exchange program and not an officer!
__________________
Just because it's futuristic doesn't mean it's practical.
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 05:04 PM   #23
Ben
Lieutenant
 
Re: Wesley Crusher: Racist

SchwEnt wrote: View Post
Aw, lots of people in ST were racist, or specie-ist.
How many times does someone remark "Typical Klingon, always yadda yadda yadda" or "That would be the Romulan way of..." or "Leave it to the Ferengi to..." or "Only a Vulcan would do something something".

No one seems to mind generalizing entire races. But use that same language when talking about Irish or Japanese or Jews or Africans or French or Hindus or any other human group...
Would it be "specie-ist" to say something like:

- Typical squirrel, always gathering nuts and burying them!
- Has anyone seen my rat collection? That snake better not have eaten them alive again!
- Damn that cold virus! Always making people sick!
__________________
Ben
Ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 07:18 PM   #24
GulGoneCrazy
Lieutenant
 
GulGoneCrazy's Avatar
 
Location: Exiled
Re: Wesley Crusher: Racist

Cardassians are the only proven racists or biggest in ST as we seen how they treated the bajorans.They probably did same thing on numerous planets.They enslave or kill all prisoners and always acting so egoistic.
For example "Cardassians never make mistakes" Dukat said.
They always threat to anybody no matter even they are on much weaker side.
Cardassian empire is often called a Cardassian union but there is no evidence that they give other races a equal membership in their space.I mean just watch attitude of any cardassian and u will notice that they always look form above and they are acting so superior.
Also garak made a direct racial insult on two romulan soldiers when he is aboard on commanders Lovak warbird.
GulGoneCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 10:01 PM   #25
Mott the barber
Commodore
 
Mott the barber's Avatar
 
Re: Wesley Crusher: Racist

Something about the title of this thread alone makes me lol.
__________________
It's not you I hate, Cardassian. I hate what I became... because of you. --Miles O'Brien in "The Wounded"
Mott the barber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 02:03 PM   #26
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral
 
CommanderRaytas's Avatar
 
Location: Dr Insano's goggles
Re: Wesley Crusher: Racist

JRoss wrote: View Post
Some of us do have trouble telling people apart and we are not racists. I'm in customer service and I have a hard time. One blonde white woman from another? Not easy. One Shaven-headed square-jawed black man from another? Not easy. Yeah, I can't always tell black people apart, but it's also white people, latino, etc.
Happens to everyone, I suppose. Whilst living in South Africa, I had little enough to do with non-whites, but the blacks of the ethnic group predominant in Joburg had a tendency to wear knitted hats on a daily basis, making it hard for me to tell them apart, as the mind lumps people you don't know and who kind of resemble each other together, for economy purposes.

On the other hand, there's a certain type of young, slim, white blond woman my mind insists look all the same.

Doesn't make us racist. Makes our brains effective engines, though. Although in my case, I have trouble remembering faces anyhow. No photographic memory to speak of, sadly.

Sheds a different light on all those times people confused me for my sister....
__________________
I do not kill with my gun. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father. I kill with my heart.The Gunslinger's Creed, The Dark Tower
It was a nice day ... AND THEN EVIL CAME!
The Collected Works of Stephen King, condensed version
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2012, 08:47 AM   #27
Therin of Andor
Admiral
 
Therin of Andor's Avatar
 
Location: New Therin Park, Andor (via Australia)
View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Wesley Crusher: Racist

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
Yes, Wesley, I'm sure all Benzites look alike to you!
Mordock and Mendon were played by the same actor, using the same appliance made for that actor, in order to save money. So Wesley was correct: the two Benzites he'd met in his life were identical.
__________________
Thiptho lapth! Ian (Entire post is personal opinion)
The Andor Files @ http://andorfiles.blogspot.com/
http://therinofandor.blogspot.com/
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 02:11 AM   #28
Mars
Captain
 
Re: Wesley Crusher: Racist

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
"A Matter of Honor"

The new crew members and a part of an exchange program, a Benzite, beam aboard.

Wesley: Mordock! You couldn't have graduated from the academy already!

Mendon: Mordock? I am Mendon.

Wesley: Oh, sorry, I though you were a friend of mine.

Mendon: We are from the same geostructure, naturally we all look alike.

Wesley: How do you tell each other apart?

Mendon: ... We just do.

Yes, Wesley, I'm sure all Benzites look alike to you!
Well maybe they do, have you ever considered that? Since their aliens, its quite possible that they all look alike and Wesley Crusher isn't just saying that as a put down.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 02:13 AM   #29
Mars
Captain
 
Re: Wesley Crusher: Racist

CommanderRaytas wrote: View Post
JRoss wrote: View Post
Some of us do have trouble telling people apart and we are not racists. I'm in customer service and I have a hard time. One blonde white woman from another? Not easy. One Shaven-headed square-jawed black man from another? Not easy. Yeah, I can't always tell black people apart, but it's also white people, latino, etc.
Happens to everyone, I suppose. Whilst living in South Africa, I had little enough to do with non-whites, but the blacks of the ethnic group predominant in Joburg had a tendency to wear knitted hats on a daily basis, making it hard for me to tell them apart, as the mind lumps people you don't know and who kind of resemble each other together, for economy purposes.

On the other hand, there's a certain type of young, slim, white blond woman my mind insists look all the same.

Doesn't make us racist. Makes our brains effective engines, though. Although in my case, I have trouble remembering faces anyhow. No photographic memory to speak of, sadly.

Sheds a different light on all those times people confused me for my sister....
One has to keep in mind that aliens aren't all analogous to different human races on Earth. In Star Trek some aliens are smarter, some are dumber, some are greedy, some are warlike to name a few stereotypical traits.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2012, 02:15 AM   #30
Mars
Captain
 
Re: Wesley Crusher: Racist

GulGoneCrazy wrote: View Post
Cardassians are the only proven racists or biggest in ST as we seen how they treated the bajorans.They probably did same thing on numerous planets.They enslave or kill all prisoners and always acting so egoistic.
For example "Cardassians never make mistakes" Dukat said.
They always threat to anybody no matter even they are on much weaker side.
Cardassian empire is often called a Cardassian union but there is no evidence that they give other races a equal membership in their space.I mean just watch attitude of any cardassian and u will notice that they always look form above and they are acting so superior.
Also garak made a direct racial insult on two romulan soldiers when he is aboard on commanders Lovak warbird.
Not by a long shot. Andorians don't like vulcans for example.
Mars is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.