Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 13 2012, 08:21 PM   #1021
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Ayelbourne wrote: View Post
The Brotherhood is an obvious hommage to the Robin Hood myth. Fighting for the poor, loyal to a dead king. Hell, even the archetypes of the characters are somewhat similar.
Lem Lemoncloak - Little John
Thoros of Myr - Friar Tuck
Tom Sevenstrings - Will Scarlet
Surely Sevenstrings is more like Alan A'Dale, the wandering minstrel who is part of Robin's merry men in some versions?
Old August 13 2012, 08:33 PM   #1022
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

Yeah, I didn't remember that one.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 01:36 PM   #1023
Kosh Naranek
Captain

The Brotherhood without Borders + Gendry + Arya + whorehouse = hilarious

Poor girl has been forced to take at least 3 baths in a month. Arya is not getting anywhere she wants to be, but her chapters have been entertaining.

Finally! Dany does something interesting. I liked how the story unfolded in Ghis. I think Arstan and Jorah are going to come to blows. (Arstan is Barristan Selmy, isn't he?)

Jojen says that the wolves will return to Winterfell. I hope that does not mean that a literal pack of animals will take up residence in the ruins. But, I would not rule that out.

Sansa and Tyrion are wed. I feel for Sansa because Joffrey basically threatened to rape her at her wedding, but poor Tyrion has it rough as well. What a miserable little match they make!
Old August 14 2012, 02:28 PM   #1024
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
I finished "Feast for Crows" last week and IMHO, it's the weakest of the series. IIRC, GRRM was originally going to make "Dance with Dragons" book 4 (the one I'm reading now), but he started doing so many flash-backs to tell the story, he wound up making an entire book of flashbacks leading up to it, which became AFfC. Several major POV characters are missing from this book, most notably Tyrian and Danerys, and much of the prose, especially in the beginning dealing with the insipid Iron Born is ponderous and repetitive. I suspect that, by the time we get to season 4, we'll be seeing heavy helpings of activity from both AFfC and ADwD, to make the stories flow better. So far, my favorite book is Storm of Swords, but Dragons is coming in at a close second for me now.

GRRM better hurry up with Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring before HBO catches up. Knowing how slow he writes, I would be concerned. Clock's-a-ticking...
Actually, Both AFFC and ADWD are mostly made up of events that were supposed to be skipped over. The story was supposed to pick up 5 years after the end of ASoS, giving time for things like Arya's training and Dany's education in queening to take place at a more realistic pace. It is part of why writing the books took so long, and why many characters seem to just spin their wheels for chapters on end.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 10:00 PM   #1025
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Have they cast Mance yet?

I thought they had started filming season 3? Are they just going to reference him this season? (Not sure how well that would work...)

Perhaps they just want to keep a lid on it?
Old August 14 2012, 10:38 PM   #1026
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post

I thought they had started filming season 3? Are they just going to reference him this season? (Not sure how well that would work...)

Apparently, they are looking for a relatively big name actor (by TV standards, anyway) for this role. Beyond the wall scenes will be filmed in Iceland again in September or something like that, so there's still time to cast him.
Old August 15 2012, 01:58 PM   #1027
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Oops!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-19260722

A call sheet from the fantasy epic, Game of Thrones, which contains information about scenes and plot lines, has been found abandoned in County Armagh.
The document, found in Gosford Forest Park, also had contact information for production staff and crew members.
Old August 15 2012, 04:18 PM   #1028
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Seeing Brienne standing there with the little blue polka-dotted umbrella is hysterical! Glad they found the call sheet intact, although I would have loved to see what's written on it.
Old August 16 2012, 03:57 AM   #1029
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

WinterIsComing.net reports on several returning cast members, including the actors playing the Watch members Pyp and Rast, and (more significantly) those playing Barristan Selmy and Lysa Arryn. So Barristan/Arstan is in as expected, and it looks like they're taking the opportunity to keep Littlefinger onscreen by showing his wooing of Lysa.
Old August 16 2012, 09:40 AM   #1030
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Shurik wrote: View Post
Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post

Apparently, they are looking for a relatively big name actor (by TV standards, anyway) for this role. Beyond the wall scenes will be filmed in Iceland again in September or something like that, so there's still time to cast him.
Rumors (and one slip from a friend in the know) suggest some offers went out a couple weeks ago after their first choice turned it down. One in particular I'm really hoping takes it.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 10:13 AM   #1031
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

I wonder if the fact that Dominic West bemoaned his own foolishness in turning it down to the press means that they might offer it back to him?
Old August 16 2012, 01:41 PM   #1032
Lonemagpie
Writer

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
WinterIsComing.net reports on several returning cast members, including the actors playing the Watch members Pyp and Rast, and (more significantly) those playing Barristan Selmy and Lysa Arryn. So Barristan/Arstan is in as expected, and it looks like they're taking the opportunity to keep Littlefinger onscreen by showing his wooing of Lysa.
I wondered whether they'd leave Selmy out until season 4 in the hope the audience will semi-forget him, or whether they'd add makeup to try to keep his true identity secret for a bit...

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 03:19 PM   #1033
Dream
Admiral

Wooing of Lysa? Damn, I'm NOT looking forward to that!
Old August 16 2012, 03:23 PM   #1034
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Lysa's not as ugly in the show as she is in the books.

I don't think they'll bother with Barristan's disguise in the show, just have him change his name. WE'LL know who he is but Daenerys won't.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 03:36 PM   #1035
backstept
Rear Admiral

View backstept's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to backstept Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to backstept

Anwar wrote: View Post
Lysa's not as ugly in the show as she is in the books.

I don't think they'll bother with Barristan's disguise in the show, just have him change his name. WE'LL know who he is but Daenerys won't.
he'll have grown a beard by then to of course give rise to the name Whitebeard
it's not like he'll have to wear Groucho glasses