TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 16 2012, 12:12 AM   #151
Data Holmes
Admiral

Re: David Slade Will Direct Daredevil for Fox

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Still, if Marvel were feeling brave, they could think about maybe a series of low-budget movies or HBO type show, set in the 1970s and featuring DD, Iron Fist, The Falcon and The Punisher (with no need to update the Vietnam origins of Mr Castle).
That would be great. It could be a whole separate part of universe from the Avengers one, in that you could still have the 70's characters appear as older incarnations of themselves in the avengers present day films.
Old August 16 2012, 02:56 AM   #152
Kestrel
Vice Admiral

Turtletrekker wrote: View Post
Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
Corman's FF movie wasn't complete shit. It was cheap but it had heart. Tim Story's FF was complete shit. No heart at all.
Agreed. Corman's movie hit the "family" vibe, which is essential to a good FF tale, much more than the Story movie did. And Corman's movie was about people who were at least recognizable as Reed Richards and Victor Von Doom.
Crazy talk. I know it's popular to bash, but if there's one thing the Fox FF got right, it was that these characters had a (developing) relationship. And their Johnny and Ben were absolutely perfect.
Old August 16 2012, 03:04 AM   #153
Dream
Admiral

Corman's FF movie wasn't complete shit. It was cheap but it had heart. Tim Story's FF was complete shit. No heart at all.
I only hope Marvel doesn't let that shit happen again now that superhero movies have gotten so big. Constantin Films making a FF movie that they had no intention of releasing just to keep the rights was a dick move. Also Marvel has the big bad Disney lawyers on their side this time.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 03:07 AM   #154
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Agreed. Corman's movie hit the "family" vibe, which is essential to a good FF tale, much more than the Story movie did. And Corman's movie was about people who were at least recognizable as Reed Richards and Victor Von Doom.
Crazy talk. I know it's popular to bash, but if there's one thing the Fox FF got right, it was that these characters had a (developing) relationship. And their Johnny and Ben were absolutely perfect.
In Corman's movie all the characters and relationships were perfect. It was only the production values that were lacking.
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 03:11 AM   #155
Dream
Admiral

Johnny and Ben were the only people that cared about in those movies.

I thought Chris Evans was good as Johnny, but I thought he was even better as Captain America. It helps that CA and Avengers blew away both FF movies in terms of quality.
Old August 16 2012, 03:17 AM   #156
Dream
Admiral

In Corman's movie all the characters and relationships were perfect. It was only the production values that were lacking.
Is there a reason it was never released on video? It sounds like more people should see it.
Old August 16 2012, 03:18 AM   #157
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Exactly. Although, I grant Kestral's point about Story's Johnny and Ben. However, I also think that that relationship is the only thing Story's movie got 100% right.
Old August 16 2012, 03:25 AM   #158
Dream
Admiral

Exactly. Although, I grant Kestral's point about Story's Johnny and Ben. However, I also think that that relationship is the only thing Story's movie got 100% right.
I think it's funny that Marvel pretty much stole the only worthy actor from the FF movie, aside from Michael Chiklis, and made him Captain America. Evans was always their first choice for CA. To his credit he plays Johnny Storm and Steve Rogers as two completely different characters.

I still can't get over how completely miscast Doom was in the Tim Story movies.
Old August 16 2012, 03:32 AM   #159
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I agree about Evans and Chiklis.

Dream wrote: View Post
Is there a reason it was never released on video? It sounds like more people should see it.

From what I understand Avi Arad ordered the negative burned when Fox acquired the rights to the franchise.

Last edited by Admiral James Kirk; August 16 2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old August 16 2012, 03:34 AM   #160
Dream
Admiral

I really think Michael Chiklis should appear in Captain America 2. Evans and Chiklis reunion!
Old August 16 2012, 06:48 AM   #161
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Michael Chiklis as Kingpin. Somebody make it happen.
Old August 16 2012, 06:58 AM   #162
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Chiklis as Kingpin? Thank you sir, may I have another?
Old August 16 2012, 10:15 AM   #163
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Data Holmes wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Still, if Marvel were feeling brave, they could think about maybe a series of low-budget movies or HBO type show, set in the 1970s and featuring DD, Iron Fist, The Falcon and The Punisher (with no need to update the Vietnam origins of Mr Castle).
That would be great. It could be a whole separate part of universe from the Avengers one, in that you could still have the 70's characters appear as older incarnations of themselves in the avengers present day films.

What about a younger actor playing Nick Fury with either one or two eyes and a big 'fro?!
Old August 16 2012, 02:39 PM   #164
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Sorry for the double post, too late to edit the above one. Here's Carhaghan on his DD vision and why it couldn't happen:

I was brought in pretty late in the game," he says, "and my take probably didn’t help matters since they had an existing script. But I just thought that if you were going to do it, this was the way to go. It was initially something I passed on because Christopher Nolan had done such a lovely job with Batman and unless you’re going to go after that trilogy, then that’s how you have to think. You can’t out-hurdle that, then what’s the point of trying?

"So it set the bar extraordinarily high, and I thought ‘Well, if we’re going to do this, let’s have a discussion about Hell’s Kitchen, and how it was really Hell’s Kitchen in the '70s,' so that got me really excited. But as I mentioned, the clock ticking and this kind of October drop-dead date, it wasn’t tenable.

"Having gone down this road in the past," he continues, "when you’re trying to write something and shoot it at the same time, it's disastrous. I think you’d need an adequate amount of time to put that script together in the right way."
http://www.totalfilm.com/news/joe-ca...redevil-reboot