RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,935
Posts: 5,389,997
Members: 24,724
Currently online: 496
Newest member: shrivishk

TrekToday headlines

New Trek-themed Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Aug 21

IDW Publishing November Trek Comic
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 13 2012, 10:30 PM   #241
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral
 
Tora Ziyal's Avatar
 
Re: TIL...

^Of course it's magic. You live in the land of Harry Potter.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 01:46 AM   #242
Gary7
Rear Admiral
 
Gary7's Avatar
 
Location: Near Manhattan ··· in an alternate reality
Re: TIL...

Holdfast wrote: View Post
TIL that my TV has the power to heal itself.

It's a pretty old CRT (10 years-ish) which had developed a persistent flicker that usually appears after it's on for a few minutes. Today, I turn it on and not a trace of flicker, despite it now being on for a couple of hours.

It's magic, I tells you!
While it's possible that some kind of internal aberration managed to correct itself, it's also possible that the malfunction is due to something eroding and at this point it momentarily "self corrected". But, it may crop up again before too long.

While quality brand CRT's were made extremely well and some have lasted multiple decades without much loss of color, they do eventually fail. If you're on a budget and not really in the market for a new TV, consider getting an older used flat screen TV. You might find yourself a terrific deal locally. The difference can be extraordinary, enough that you'll be wondering why you didn't bother to upgrade sooner.
__________________
Remembering Ensign Mallory.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 02:00 AM   #243
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: TIL...

TIL learned that you should always remember to pick up the cat food bowl around a dog. Now I have to refeed the cats all over again.
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 04:14 PM   #244
B.J.
Rear Admiral
 
B.J.'s Avatar
 
Location: Huntsville, AL, USA
Re: TIL...

^We put the cat food in a place that our rather large dog can't reach. Right now, it's under the shelves in the laundry room, partially blocked by a large box of kitty litter and the trash can. The cats can squeeze past easily, but the dog can't get to the food.
__________________
B.J. --- bj-o23.deviantart.com
B.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 05:43 PM   #245
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: TIL...

^My mom has a special cat counter. Unfortunately, the dog seems to have recruited one of the cats, because my mom caught her using her paw to knock food onto the floor so that the dog could eat it!
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 05:51 PM   #246
trekkiedane
Admiral
 
trekkiedane's Avatar
 
Location: I'll let you know when I get there.
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane
Re: TIL...

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^My mom has a special cat counter. Unfortunately, the dog seems to have recruited one of the cats, because my mom caught her using her paw to knock food onto the floor so that the dog could eat it!
That's a power-thing: "look, I can feed you -or not, depending on my whim".
__________________
I am trekkiedane and I wholeheartedly agree with this post.
trekkiedane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 05:55 PM   #247
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: TIL...

^ I don't think cats are smart enough for that.
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 07:22 PM   #248
Avalon
Captain
 
Avalon's Avatar
 
Location: Avalon
Re: TIL...

^^ Pffft...that's what they want you to think...
__________________
Ancient Reed Rager
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 07:31 PM   #249
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!
 
Holdfast's Avatar
 
Location: 17 Cherry Tree Lane
Re: TIL...

Gary7 wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
TIL that my TV has the power to heal itself.

It's a pretty old CRT (10 years-ish) which had developed a persistent flicker that usually appears after it's on for a few minutes. Today, I turn it on and not a trace of flicker, despite it now being on for a couple of hours.

It's magic, I tells you!
While it's possible that some kind of internal aberration managed to correct itself, it's also possible that the malfunction is due to something eroding and at this point it momentarily "self corrected". But, it may crop up again before too long.
Yeah, I'm sure you're right.

Still, it's been a couple of days now, and touch wood, it's still going strong. It's an old Sony WEGA that weighs an absolute ton and at just 36" is considered a small screen size these days... but the picture is just beautiful (when it doesn't flicker, that is). I suspect that this transient little break from flicker means it's going to really bug me if/when it returns...

I might upgrade if it does. It's not really that I'm on a specific budget; more that I inherited my parents' aversion to spending money on things like this until they truly & completely break. Mind you, when they did, we usually got something near the top of the line to replace it, in the hope it wouldn't need buying again for another decade or so. It's a strategy that works surprisingly often.

This is also why I've been driving the same car for over 8 years, and have lived in the same place even longer. The car is still really cool and I love my place... but I could have changed both several times in the interim. I do the same for computers; I only got a new laptop after that last one (about 6 yrs old) got stuck in an irretrievable boot loop. The money saved through through all this stinginess gets invested instead, which I tend to feel is a much more productive use for it as it generates passive income, thus effectively buying me time, which is much more valuable than commodities.

Well, that, and I buy clothes.
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 07:57 PM   #250
Gary7
Rear Admiral
 
Gary7's Avatar
 
Location: Near Manhattan ··· in an alternate reality
Re: TIL...

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
^My mom has a special cat counter. Unfortunately, the dog seems to have recruited one of the cats, because my mom caught her using her paw to knock food onto the floor so that the dog could eat it!
Cats are very clever creatures. Very emotional too. And of course, relentlessly curious. Perhaps the cat noticed the dog's attention to the food and is feeding the dog out of sympathy, or is simply curious to see the dog eat it. I've seen cats play with things in ways that suggest avid interest to discover an object's characteristics. Ever see one play with a turbo track? I mean... it's amazing what some will do with it. Check out Maru and his thing for boxes (endless YouTube videos); hilarious to see what lengths the cat will go to.

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Still, it's been a couple of days now, and touch wood, it's still going strong. It's an old Sony WEGA that weighs an absolute ton and at just 36" is considered a small screen size these days... but the picture is just beautiful (when it doesn't flicker, that is). I suspect that this transient little break from flicker means it's going to really bug me if/when it returns...
SONY makes great TV's and I know that very model you're talking about. My sister had to leave hers behind in her last move because the thing was just way too heavy and inconvenient to take along.

I do appreciate what you say about keeping something until it breaks beyond repair. But with technology, there comes a point where something so much better is affordable and brings a whole new level of enjoyment. But yeah, if what you've got is good enough for the job, it makes sense to keep going with it. Like you I keep my cars for a very long time, the last one was about 12 years old.


TIL... that raspberries last a whole lot longer in the refrigerator as long as they get some air flow. Closing them off in a plastic bag hold mold/fungus form very fast. So, leave them in just the hard plastic container with all the holes.
__________________
Remembering Ensign Mallory.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 09:41 PM   #251
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: TIL...

Avalon wrote: View Post
^^ Pffft...that's what they want you to think...
There's a big difference between aloof and intelligent! Cats aren't smart, they're just good at making people think they're smart.
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 09:53 PM   #252
trekkiedane
Admiral
 
trekkiedane's Avatar
 
Location: I'll let you know when I get there.
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to trekkiedane
Re: TIL...

thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Avalon wrote: View Post
^^ Pffft...that's what they want you to think...
There's a big difference between aloof and intelligent! Cats aren't smart, they're just good at making people think they're smart.
So, you're saying they're smart enough to fool people!



Otoh, that only makes them as smart as politicians.
__________________
I am trekkiedane and I wholeheartedly agree with this post.
trekkiedane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 10:14 PM   #253
thestrangequark
Vice Admiral
 
thestrangequark's Avatar
 
Location: thestrangequark
Re: TIL...

trekkiedane wrote: View Post
thestrangequark wrote: View Post
Avalon wrote: View Post
^^ Pffft...that's what they want you to think...
There's a big difference between aloof and intelligent! Cats aren't smart, they're just good at making people think they're smart.
So, you're saying they're smart enough to fool people!
Well, I never did say that people were all that bright.



Otoh, that only makes them as smart as politicians.
I am trying to wrap my mind around the implications of all this.
__________________
The Enterprise is my TARDIS.

View my art!
thestrangequark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 12:57 AM   #254
ITL
Vice Admiral
 
ITL's Avatar
 
Location: Palace Of The Brine
Re: TIL...

Holdfast wrote: View Post
Still, it's been a couple of days now, and touch wood, it's still going strong. It's an old Sony WEGA that weighs an absolute ton and at just 36" is considered a small screen size these days... but the picture is just beautiful (when it doesn't flicker, that is). I suspect that this transient little break from flicker means it's going to really bug me if/when it returns...
My last CRT TV was a third-hand pre-widescreen Sony Trinitron - it had a perfect picture. Cost me nowt and I had it for years. Great TV!
__________________
"Closed this morning as Ravenscroft, the bakery's dog, sprained his mouth whistling round a corner."
- Tockleys Bakery
ITL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 05:43 AM   #255
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral
 
cooleddie74's Avatar
 
Location: The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile
Re: TIL...

TIL that it's pretty pointless to call out to a store and have someone check on the availability of an item.
__________________
Human instinct is pretty strong. You can't expect us to change overnight.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
brownies from cake, happy accidents, lemonade from lemons, til, today i learned

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.