New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old August 14 2012, 08:20 PM   #46
newtontomato539
Commander

Re: No News, No Nothing!!

The previous film wasn't a disappointment.

This is Bad Robot Trek. There is no Canon tm.

I don't need my ego stroked.

. . .

I want nude photographs of the new shuttlecraft that looks like Star Trek V's!
Old August 15 2012, 02:30 AM   #47
tmosler
Lieutenant Commander

I agree with what you are saying. Every day I check trek movie.com to and for the past few weeks there hasnt been that much news on star trek 2. I just cant wait for the first trailer to come out

Last edited by tmosler; August 15 2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old August 15 2012, 05:52 PM   #48
R. Star
Rear Admiral

nightwind1 wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
shivkala wrote: View Post
A wise man once said: "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Once the trailer comes, the bitching will erupt. "Too much lens flare!" "Not enough lens flare!" "Oh man, they're doing a re-tread of Khan!" "Oh man, they're not doing a re-tread of Khan!" "Too much Kirk, not enough Spock!" "Too much Spock, not enough Kirk" "Too much Kirk and Spock, no Riley!" "They went with Riley and still no Rand?" "They have Rand? Of course they're trying to appeal to the sexist men!" "They don't have Rand, they're not doing enough for the sexist men!" "Spock isn't shouting!" "Spock is shouting!"

I think I've made my point...
Expectations are low. After the disapointment of the last one, getting excited seems premature.
Disappointment?

What disappointment?

Many of us enjoyed the hell out of it.

And apparently, we're not the only ones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_%28film%29

The film is the highest-grossing in the United States and Canada from the entire Star Trek film franchise, eclipsing The Voyage Home and Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Its opening weekend numbers alone outgross the entire individual runs of The Undiscovered Country, The Final Frontier, Insurrection and Nemesis. Star Trek ended its United States theatrical run on October 1, 2009, with a box office total of $257,730,019, which currently places it as the seventh highest-grossing film for 2009 behind The Hangover. The film grossed $127,764,536 in international markets, for a total worldwide gross of $385,494,555. While foreign grosses represent only 31% of the total box office receipts, executives of Paramount were happy with the international sales, as Star Trek historically was a movie franchise that never has been a big draw overseas.
Star Trek received very positive reviews from film critics. The film has a 95% approval rating on the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 292 reviews with an average rating of 8.1/10, with the consensus: "Star Trek reignites a classic franchise with action, humor, a strong story, and brilliant visuals, and will please traditional Trekkies and new fans alike." Metacritic, which assigns a weighted average score, gave the film a 83 out of 100 based on 37 reviews from critics
Doesn't sound disappointing to me.
Thankfully, I have a sense of self worth and I don't have to read other people's thoughts on a movie to formulate my own opinion. So an appeal to populism isn't going to sway me.

As for the box office figures? So what? Back when STII came out you could get into a movie theater and with snacks under five dollars. Now you can't get into a movie theater without breaking at least two twenties.
Old August 15 2012, 06:07 PM   #49
The Stig
Rear Admiral

Thankfully, I have a sense of self worth and I don't have to read other people's thoughts on a movie to formulate my own opinion. So an appeal to populism isn't going to sway me.
Well bully for you. Here's the thing, since you're such an individual it'd probably behoove you not to pretend that your individual opinion translates to the wider audience.

As for the box office figures? So what? Back when STII came out you could get into a movie theater and with snacks under five dollars. Now you can't get into a movie theater without breaking at least two twenties.
Star Trek (2009) was the highest-grossing Star Trek feature to date, even when adjusted for inflation.

As for the proposition that there should be more promotional material out for Trek, it's still quite a ways off. 'Man of Steel' just got a teaser a month ago and it's a way bigger deal than Trek. I'm sure we'll see a teaser in the next few months.

All we know is, he's called The Stig.
Old August 15 2012, 06:07 PM   #50
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Thankfully, I have a sense of self worth and I don't have to read other people's thoughts on a movie to formulate my own opinion. So an appeal to populism isn't going to sway me..
Perhaps. But the original assertion that there was a general sense of disappointment regarding the last movie doesn't seem to be borne out by the general audience.

It's fair to say you were disappointed, but don't speak for the rest of us.

And what's wrong with populism? Isn't pop culture supposed to be, well, popular?

Star Trek was never supposed to be some exclusive club.
Old August 15 2012, 06:15 PM   #51
R. Star
Rear Admiral

The Stig wrote: View Post
Well bully for you. Here's the thing, since you're such an individual it'd probably behoove you not to pretend that your individual opinion translates to the wider audience.

Star Trek (2009) was the highest-grossing Star Trek feature to date, even when adjusted for inflation.

As for the proposition that there should be more promotional material out for Trek, it's still quite a ways off. 'Man of Steel' just got a teaser a month ago and it's a way bigger deal than Trek. I'm sure we'll see a teaser in the next few months.
Greg Cox wrote: View Post
Thankfully, I have a sense of self worth and I don't have to read other people's thoughts on a movie to formulate my own opinion. So an appeal to populism isn't going to sway me..
Perhaps. But the original assertion that there was a general sense of disappointment regarding the last movie doesn't seem to be borne out by the general audience.

And what's wrong with populism? Isn't pop culture supposed to be, well, popular?

That's what I did say if you both will kindly read back on my previous posts before jumping to conclusions and putting words in my mouth. I found it disapointing. If you didn't well "bully for you" right back.

Just because I don't share your opinion doesn't preclude me from voicing my own.
Old August 15 2012, 06:23 PM   #52
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Hmm. I took "Expectations are low" as a comment on the public's expectations, since we had been talking about the general buzz concerning the sequel, but if you just meant "My expectations are low," fair enough.

There are so many people on-line these days who often claim to be speaking for fandom as a whole, especially where the Trek reboot is concerned, that I may have overreacted.
Old August 15 2012, 06:42 PM   #53
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Hmm. I took "Expectations are low" as a comment on the public's expectations, since we had been talking about the general buzz concerning the sequel, but if you just meant "My expectations are low," fair enough.

There are so many people on-line these days who often claim to be speaking for fandom as a whole, especially where the Trek reboot is concerned, that I may have overreacted.
I'll agree with that notion. I never claimed to be speaking for all fandom. How could I when we can't even agree who's better, Picard or Kirk?

As for the upcoming movie, I hope I'm wrong and I'm pleasantly surprised. Stranger things have definitely happened, but the last one just didn't do it for me. It just had a whole Star Wars feeling to me, covering up lack of substance with some very flashy graphics.
Old August 15 2012, 06:57 PM   #54
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Massive Spoiler!!

Old August 15 2012, 07:28 PM   #55
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Wait...What? Trek has become Pop Culture? That's it, I'm outta here, I'm gonna stick with B5 and Farscape which have the decency to still be niche

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old August 15 2012, 07:41 PM   #56
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post

Wait...What? Trek has become Pop Culture? That's it, I'm outta here, I'm gonna stick with B5 and Farscape which have the decency to still be niche
Haha! As an avid DS9 fan, most other DS9ers are surprised I've never watched it beyond a couple episodes here and there back when it was airing. Wonder if Netflix has it.
Old August 15 2012, 08:06 PM   #57
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Hey, Trek has always been pop culture. It debuted on NBC after all. And have we all forgotten the View-Master slides, plastic model kits, and Gold Key comics?

It was never supposed to be some culty niche thing appealing only to the cognoscenti.

Last edited by Greg Cox; August 15 2012 at 08:21 PM.
Old August 15 2012, 09:01 PM   #58
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post

Haha! As an avid DS9 fan, most other DS9ers are surprised I've never watched it beyond a couple episodes here and there back when it was airing. Wonder if Netflix has it.
B5 and Farscape are both excellent Series. Some folks have difficulty enjoying alot of the S1 episodes of both Series (I personally do enjoy most of S1 of both Series, and it's much easier to appreciate B5 S1 on a rewatch, as you can see all the set up of everything once you are familiar with the entire arc), but, unless they just don't like the Series, most are very happy most of the time from S2 on, for both Series.

Greg, OK, if it's always been Pop Culture, I can make an exception {PHEW, Thank Goodness, I couldn't have survived a Trek Boycott}

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old August 19 2012, 05:05 AM   #59
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

How can someone be an avid fan of something they've only seen a couple of episodes of?
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Old August 19 2012, 06:27 AM   #60
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
It is very frustrating, yes. Marvel started promoting the Avengers nearly 2 years before the movie came out and it helped wonders for them. Its about 9 months away and the forced secrecy is kind of dampening the thrust for Star Trek it seems to me. Of course not to me or other Star Trek fans, but the general movie going audience.
The 'forced secrecy' really seemed to screw up the last movie too.....

While I would love to see or hear something eventually, I'm not too worried about it. At this point, my search for information has more to do with boredom than anything else.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
Closed Thread