Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 15 2012, 03:51 PM   #61
JRoss
Captain

Re: Crossover with other franchises?

Wow. So I just posted something that I thought was a fun little theory. And fur seems to be flying.

Problem seems to be: Christopher being too analytical about my theory, and me, omaha and stalker being too passionate about how KJA has ruined Dune.

And, Christopher, I did see that KJA quote for your book when I was looking it up on Amazon, right after I posted my thing about you being better than him. I'm perfectly capable of analytically and calmly listing KJA's weaknesses as an author, but this is not the thread for that.

So, anyhoo, how about Godzilla/Transformers?
Old August 15 2012, 04:00 PM   #62
Christopher
Writer

JRoss wrote: View Post
Hard to say. There are so many different timelines/continuities for both. Are we talking Showa/Generation 1, Heisei/Prime, or heaven forfend, Emmerich/Bay?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 04:16 PM   #63
iarann
Lieutenant

Timewalker wrote: View Post
Bullshit. And Christopher, you just attacked ME, by categorizing my profound distaste for a hack author ruining a classic as a "hatefest." Trust me, what I said is MILD in comparison to what others have said.
You used the line "it's obvious that the quality is meant to completely spread metaphorical solid organic human waste material all over the original creator's work". How is that not a "hatefest"?

You've just lost a reader. Congratulations. And it's nothing to do with your writing. It's because you're being a jerk. And I wouldn't be so proud of an endorsement by KJA. He can churn out quantity, definitely. Too bad not much of it is quality.
You don't find this statement a little out of hand? Someone politely defended a person who, as a multiple New York Times best selling author, gave him an endorsement, and therefore he loses you as a reader?

My pet peeve, as you call it, is with people who decide to write in another individual's original universe without respecting the in-universe rules that individual created or, if they change the rules, without doing so in a way that enhances the story.
You write fanfic. Crossover fanfic at that. I'm not sure how you feel you have any basis to judge others work. Not everyone hates those books as much as you do; they wouldn't still be selling so well if that was true. People say similar thing about the Star Wars prequels all the time, yet they make billions for George Lucas. A vocal group of fans on the Internet does not mean everyone has a unified opinion on a subject. It that were true the Star Wars prequel trilogy would have ended with Phantom Menace bombing out at the theatre, Firefly would be back on the air, the Dune books would have ended with House Atreides as a massive failure, Ron Paul would be president, JJ Abrams Star Trek movie would have been a massive failure, etc etc.

That being the case, if you dislike something so much, just avoid it. Why do you feel the need to attack others for reading them or accidentally making a reference to them?

Clear enough? You were operating under misinformation, which I corrected. You perceived that as an "attack" on a fellow author, who is more than capable of standing up for himself. Then you attacked me.
So because an someone is capable of defending themselves, that makes it ok to insult them? Do you do this in person too?

As for "derailing the thread" - you're not a moderator here, and kindly refrain from dictating to me which facets of crossovers and writing in somebody else's universe I choose to discuss.
It doesn't take a moderator to point out you are behaving inappropriately.

Why not create a Dune thread over in the "Miscellaneous" part of the board to discuss it? I would love to discuss the issue with you there if you are willing to be a bit more civil in your discourse.
iarann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 04:32 PM   #64
JRoss
Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Hard to say. There are so many different timelines/continuities for both. Are we talking Showa/Generation 1, Heisei/Prime, or heaven forfend, Emmerich/Bay?
The smiley indicates that you are aware of my "too analytical" comment. I'd probably want to see Hesei/Prime, or Hesei/Bay. No love for Bay's films, but the bots look more commercially palatable than G1. I mainly want to see Gigan and Ghidorah team up with Negatron against Big G, Anguirus and Optimus.
Old August 15 2012, 04:52 PM   #65
Christopher
Writer

I dunno, I think I prefer it when Godzilla's a villain. I could see Megatron trying to goad Godzilla into attacking human cities and the Autobots coming to their defense alongside Heisei-era Mechagodzilla.

Old August 15 2012, 05:04 PM   #66
JRoss
Captain

Godzilla was at his best in the much-maligned Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidora: Giant Monster All-Out Attack. Those eyes, that malice.
Old August 15 2012, 05:10 PM   #67
iarann
Lieutenant

Godzilla was at his best in the much-maligned Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidora: Giant Monster All-Out Attack. Those eyes, that malice.
Maligned? That one is considered the best film of the Millennium series. I've never met a Godzilla fan who didn't enjoy it.
Old August 15 2012, 05:21 PM   #68
Christopher
Writer

I haven't gotten to the Millennium series yet. I'm working my way through the series via Netflix, but I'm only as far as the aforementioned Heisei Mechagodzilla film (which was superb). And I haven't seen the first two Heisei films since they're not on DVD in the states.

Old August 15 2012, 05:25 PM   #69
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Why would I pay money for a crossover novel when I can get hundreds of fanfictions for free anywhere on the internet? If my tastes were so inclined.
Old August 15 2012, 05:46 PM   #70
F. King Daniel
Admiral

I want a comic book based on the Star Trek Mr. Potato Head line. I'm not even sure that's really a crossover but it MUST be done.
Old August 15 2012, 05:55 PM   #71
iarann
Lieutenant

R. Star wrote: View Post
Why would I pay money for a crossover novel when I can get hundreds of fanfictions for free anywhere on the internet? If my tastes were so inclined.
With that logic, why buy any novel? Generally speaking, the quality if a professionally produced piece is going to be much higher.
Old August 15 2012, 06:28 PM   #72
R. Star
Rear Admiral

iarann wrote: View Post
With that logic, why buy any novel? Generally speaking, the quality if a professionally produced piece is going to be much higher.
But we're talking crossovers, my friend. That seems to preclude "professionally produced pieces." But, I could be wrong, if there's enough of an audience for the product to sell, someone will buy.

And hey, some fanfictions can be alarmingly good. I recall a series set in a Terran Empire that never fell that was very interesting for example. Though like many fanfictions, this one fell victim to the author losing interest.

But if we're going down this trend, will we be advocating professionally produced slash fictions next?
Old August 15 2012, 06:36 PM   #73
iarann
Lieutenant

But we're talking crossovers, my friend. That seems to preclude "professionally produced pieces."
Yet Planet X by Michael Jan Friedman was written. I'm not saying it is a good idea, but there is precedence.
Old August 15 2012, 06:36 PM   #74
JRoss
Captain

I know that there is a lot of hate for GMK because Ghidora is smaller than Godzilla and is a good guy in the film. Those seem like silly reasons to hate, but it's there. I find more haters than anything, even though I love that film.

Christopher, I think that you'd enjoy the Millenium Series' take on Mecha-Godzilla very much. This one is built over the charred skeleton of the original Godzilla.
Old August 15 2012, 11:58 PM   #75
Rosalind
TrekLit's Dr Rose Mod

oooOOOOoooo.... so somebody's pissed off that I'm not agreeing with him just because he's a published author?

Bullshit. And Christopher, you just attacked ME, by categorizing my profound distaste for a hack author ruining a classic as a "hatefest." Trust me, what I said is MILD in comparison to what others have said.

I DID give you useful information - the page you linked to is pure crap that's NOTHING to do with the actual novel Dune.

You've just lost a reader. Congratulations. And it's nothing to do with your writing. It's because you're being a jerk. And I wouldn't be so proud of an endorsement by KJA. He can churn out quantity, definitely. Too bad not much of it is quality.
OmahaStar wrote: View Post
Yeah, he has been doing that for years. He lives to needle people and show people up with his "knowledge." He still has no idea why so many people call him Kia behind his back. Who knows? He may even be a halfway-decent writer, but he's such a jerk that he drives potential readers away.

As for KJA, he's a nice enough guy. I've had the pleasure of meeting him several times now, and he's always friendly and personable - online and in person (some writers could learn from that) - but he does live by quantity over quality.

Still, I'm looking forward to Stewartquake, the follow-up to Shatnerquake, but featuring Patrick Stewart and his various characters. Would love to see his characters from Jeffrey and Lifeforce having a chat with Picard. It would be a hoot!
Both of you have earned an infraction for flaming. Comments to PM.
Rosalind is offline   Reply With Quote