Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old August 13 2012, 11:44 PM   #91
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile
Re: Phase II "Going Boldly" (new vignette)

Y'know just mentioning M'Ress could take this thread in any number of totally inappropriate directions...just sayin'...
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 05:32 AM   #92
Loken
Lieutenant Commander

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post

Actually, I've toyed with doing something less overt: I've written a scene with Uhura--where she reports to her communications station--and the first thing she does before sitting down to work is she takes out a lint roller and picks up all the cat fur and dander that M'Ress has shed all over the chair and console. So we might hint at M'Ress instead of actually seeing her. (Maybe it'll become one of those running gags--where everyone talks about her, but we never actually see her.)

OK, this is HYSTERICAL.

Love the idea.

Oh and my friend did this for the Las Vegas STar Trek Con:

Alec
Loken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 12:29 PM   #93
jamesmc
Lieutenant Commander

Yes, to M'ress!
jamesmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 02:11 PM   #94
Redfern
Commodore

Loken, I love your friend's sense of humor! You have any other shots of her in costume? I'm guessing she used one of those Woochie brand latex pieces that aproximates the nose pad and upper lip of a cat. But what sells it for me is her "mane". She did a rather good job styling it to "lay" like it does in the animation cels.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 03:28 AM   #95
jamesmc
Lieutenant Commander

She did a great job! I am not sure which route we will take with the character make up or cg...
jamesmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 01:20 PM   #96
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

Hmmm.... I think somewhere in this thread the subject of M'ress went from "Maybe Phase II will to this..." to "How Phase II will do this..." That's what I call an effective discussion! And yes, excellent job by the lady in Latex... and red.
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 02:52 PM   #97
Draculasaurus
Lieutenant Commander

jamesmc wrote: View Post
She did a great job! I am not sure which route we will take with the character make up or cg...
Have you seen the makeup for the cat-people of New New New New New New New New New New New New New New New York on Doctor Who?
It's extremely effective.
Depending on how ambitious your makeup artists are feeling of course.

Draculasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 03:08 PM   #98
DaveGalanter
Writer/Ape

^ Great makeup but how many hours does THAT take and who's gonna pay for it. Yikes!
DaveGalanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 03:39 PM   #99
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

DaveGalanter wrote: View Post
^ Great makeup but how many hours does THAT take and who's gonna pay for it. Yikes!
Application probably takes no longer than applying Spock's latex ears. Fabricating a feline prosthetic appliance to begin with is probably where all the hard work lies. Fortunately, that's not really time-sensitive. It can be done anytime in advance of the shoot.

http://www.themakeupgallery.info/fan...at/whohame.htm

Who's gonna pay for it? Who pays hundreds of doallrs for Spock's ears now?
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 04:33 PM   #100
Barbreader
Fleet Captain

View Barbreader's Twitter Profile

And in true Phase II fashion, once the subject turns from 'if' to 'how', they start topping one another on quality...
Barbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 05:28 PM   #101
DaveGalanter
Writer/Ape

Greg, while I'm no expert, I highly doubt that makeup of that sophistication isn't a much longer process than ears. I could be completely mistaken, but after seeing such examples on the show "Face Off" which is a movie-makeup competition show, it hasn't been impression that makeup like that would be that quick.
Old August 15 2012, 05:45 PM   #102
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Greg, while I'm no expert, I highly doubt that makeup of that sophistication isn't a much longer process than ears. I could be completely mistaken, but after seeing such examples on the show "Face Off" which is a movie-makeup competition show, it hasn't been impression that makeup like that would be that quick.
Quick? Do you know how long it takes to do Spock's ears?

The main problem is visible seams. If the seams are in a visible location (like on the pinna), they are tedious to do well. If the seams aren't going to be visible (for example, if they are going to be covered with a long mane-like wig), they don't need to be perfect.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 06:27 PM   #103
Redfern
Commodore

One of the reasons why the "Sisters of Plenitude" were "nuns", the habits allowed the production to limit the make-up appliances to just the face. To do a "Hame" styled make-up to an actress dressed as M'Ress depicted in the animated series would be a major, MAJOR undertaking. The throat and collarbone region would need appliances, the hands, and the legs almost to the groin.

That's when one needs to consider alternatives. For the throat issue, restyle the "mane" a bit. In the cartoon, all of it feel behind the shoulders. Instead, have "locks" of the wig fall in front of the shoulders, hiding the throat. Yeah, we usually associate that arrangement as befitting a male leonid, but it's a compromise of practicality.

For the legs, either stage the shots to obscure them (which would also bypass the problems of depicting digitigrade feet), or go with some sort of pants. Or, put her in one of those general duty jumpsuits occasionally depicted in the earlier episodes of the first season. Pants or a full jumpsuit makes sense "in story" as well. It would reduce the amount of shed fur getting all over the equipment. One might even use that rationale to cover the hands with gloves.

Of course, I realize I'm way overthinking this for what would be, at most, a quick "throw-away" shot of M'Ress in the background.

Sincerely,

Bill

P.S. Here's some variations upon M'Ress I puttered together using low end figure staging render tools.

http://redfern42.deviantart.com/#/d4x64rv Standard uniform

http://redfern42.deviantart.com/#/d4yrbal Utility jumpsuit

http://redfern42.deviantart.com/#/d590uwp Leggings with "spats"

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti

Last edited by Redfern; August 15 2012 at 06:41 PM.
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2012, 11:42 PM   #104
Nightowl1701
Captain

Instead of appliances for the lower half (since you're gonna have to have a tail anyway), take a page from the TMP costumes - how about fur-covered tights with shoes built-into (as in inside) the feline "feet." Depending on how "animated" you want to make the tail, it can be half-practical (the first foot or so projecting from the actress) half-CGI (the rest), full practical but remote-controlled (think Jabba's tail in ROTJ) or all-CGI. But other than the tail, the more practical the better (including a Batman-style furry cowl that incorporates the mane/ears/neck/upper shoulders that the actress can don - the face appliance covers the seams - and yellow "cat eye" contact lenses).

The hands I think would be the biggest problem, since they need to be four-fingered and cat-like yet allow the actress to handle the bridge controls with some visible degree of dexterity.
Nightowl1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2012, 01:34 PM   #105
DaveGalanter
Writer/Ape

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
Quick? Do you know how long it takes to do Spock's ears?

The main problem is visible seams. If the seams are in a visible location (like on the pinna), they are tedious to do well. If the seams aren't going to be visible (for example, if they are going to be covered with a long mane-like wig), they don't need to be perfect.
About 60 to 90 mins for Spock's ears if memory serves? But I admit I only vaguely paid attention, as I don't sit and watch it. (I try to stay out of the make-up room despite it being cool because I figure if I don't have a direct use, I shouldn't be there taking up space.