Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 10 2012, 06:52 PM   #226
Gaith
Rear Admiral

Re: Robert e Howard,Edgar rice Burroughs & H.P.lovecraft comics & book

lurok wrote: View Post
Only films I've seen that come close to Lovecraft spirit/atmosphere are Carpenter's In The Mouth of Madness and especially Cigarette Burns.
You don't mean to say you've never seen...

???
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 08:48 AM   #227
Australis
Writer

Hey you guys would really appreciate this. Found it years ago and keep it bookmarked, even thought it's moved a couple of times. It's worth reading to the very end.

http://www.j-bradford-delong.net/mov...David_Ehi.html
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 10:03 AM   #228
lurok
Commodore

Gaith wrote: View Post
lurok wrote: View Post
Only films I've seen that come close to Lovecraft spirit/atmosphere are Carpenter's In The Mouth of Madness and especially Cigarette Burns.
You don't mean to say you've never seen...

(The Mist)

???
Wow, that's spooky I was just thinking this very morning after started reading Call of Cthulhu whether there were any other Lovecraftian films I might have seen. Two came to mind: Cloverfield and The Mist. Cloverfield I decided , nah, more a bog-standard monster flick, and The Mist seems plotwise more like Assault On Precinct 13-with-nasties. But I did think, yeah, the actual design of the other things and their origin, the New England-y setting, and that bleak final scene and gargantuan creatures were very much in Lovecraft spirit

PS: Thanks for link, Australis That made my morning

Last edited by lurok; August 11 2012 at 10:15 AM.
lurok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 03:46 AM   #229
JD
Admiral

I haven't watched it yet, so I don't know if it's any good, but in 2005 The Lovecraft Historical Society did their own silent move adaptation of The Call of Cthulu. Even though it was made 6 years ago, they apparently chose to do it in the style of an old '20s silent film.
If you have Netflix, it is available on their streaming service.
Old August 12 2012, 03:59 AM   #230
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

I enjoyed it although stop motion Cthulhu left something to be desired. I was thinking they might pull out some CGI right at the end.
Old August 12 2012, 04:11 AM   #231
Gov Kodos
Vice Admiral

Dagon was an alright Lovecraftian film based on 'Tha Shadow over Innsmouth'. It was a Spanish production. Campy in a lot of ways, but it does keep to the basic ideas of the story. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dagon_%28film%29
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 05:02 AM   #232
JD
Admiral

^That was my first exposure to anything "Lovecraftian" like that, and I thought it was pretty good from the perspective of a Lovecraft novice.
Old August 12 2012, 10:17 AM   #233
Australis
Writer

Not a horror film fan, didn't like Dagon, but thought the Call of Cthulhu was a cracker. You can't complain about the stop motion, that's exactly how they would have done it. Absolutely true to the periood and the story.
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Old August 12 2012, 02:15 PM   #234
lurok
Commodore

I quickly watched the trailer for Call of Cthulhu and didn't grab me. But perhaps need to give it a go. I agree stop-motion definitely way to go if you were making it as period film. One of things I've really really enjoyed in reading the stories is imagining how the f**k you'd do justice to them cinematically, especially the more 'psychedelic' ones like Kadath and Silver Key, or the elder cityscapes. I know cgi could render them pretty accurately, but I always find something inherently artificial and dead in CG. But I could imagine visual stylists like Ridley Scott, or Powell & Pressburger at their peak, could pull them off with big enough soundstage.
Old August 12 2012, 02:57 PM   #235
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I haven't liked a lot of Lovecraft movies, honestly. Call of Cthulhu is probably my favourite (and after that, the one with Jeffrey Coombs as Herbert West, because Jeffrey Coombs).

Dagon was alright.
Old August 12 2012, 07:28 PM   #236
JD
Admiral

So do you guys think there's any chance the Del-Toro, Cameron, Cruise At the Mountains of Madness would have been any good?
What about Boom Studios Cthulhu comics, anyone read them?
Old August 13 2012, 06:52 PM   #237
Gaith
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
So do you guys think there's any chance the Del-Toro, Cameron, Cruise At the Mountains of Madness would have been any good?
I think it very probably would have been, especially for making jokes about Cruise digging around for ancient malevolent aliens, but while I haven't read the book, I think the whole forgotten environment/horrific beasties thing was still done fairly recently by PJ's Kong (which would have been great in 3D, now that I think of it), and while I don't love that movie, between it and Prometheus, I'm not too upset over the project's demise.
Gaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 07:11 PM   #238
Kegg
Rear Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Absolutely. Del Toro said in an interview that he wanted it to be so faithful he'd be including the albino penguins.

And a faithful Mountains of Madness adaption by the director of Pan's Labyrinth, flush with Avatar money to make it happen? That could very easily have been fantastic and was for a while my most anticipated film.

Gaith wrote: View Post
I think the whole forgotten environment/horrific beasties thing was still done fairly recently by PJ's Kong (which would have been great in 3D, now that I think of it), and while I don't love that movie, between it and Prometheus, I'm not too upset over the project's demise.
The Mountains of Madness novella isn't much like King Kong or Prometheus, to be honest.

Last edited by Kegg; August 13 2012 at 07:38 PM.
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 10:16 AM   #239
lurok
Commodore

Saving At The Mountains of Madnessfor last so can't really comment on that yet. Just finished The Colour Out Of Space: favourite story so far and would potentially make a great film. Just realised as well how much Evil Deadowes to Lovecraft: the Necromonicon, backwoods cabin, moving trees. I also imagine Giger must be a Lovecraft fan
Old August 14 2012, 01:22 PM   #240
Australis
Writer

Here's my desktop from a few years ago. I want to read these!