Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 13 2012, 02:29 PM   #46
Christopher
Writer

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

cbspock wrote: View Post
Werent the previously released discs all re-recordings except for the CAGE and Where No Man discs???
No, all of the GNP Crescendo releases of TOS scores were from the original recordings -- Volume 1 with the two pilots, Volume 2 containing "The Doomsday Machine" and "Amok Time," Volume 3 containing "Shore Leave" and "The Naked Time," and the TOS portions of the two Best of Star Trek albums -- Volume 1 containing the main title and a "Trouble With Tribbles" suite, and Vol. 2 containing a different main title arrangement by Fred Steiner (actually I think it was the end title version) plus suites from "The Corbomite Maneuver," "Balance of Terror," and "What are Little Girls Made Of," plus a "lounge mix" of the main title which was used as source music in a couple of episodes.

Only the two Varese Sarabande releases conducted by Fred Steiner and the two Label X releases conducted by Tony Bremner are re-recordings -- although there are probably a few TOS tracks on the SF-themed albums the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra released back in the '80s/'90s.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 02:50 PM   #47
Garrovick
Commander

Woohoo! "The Enemy Within" and (all of) "The Corbomite Maneuver" on CD! Can't wait for this release!
Garrovick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 04:26 PM   #48
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

DonIago wrote: View Post
Apologies if I missed it previously, but what, then, would you consider a reasonable price to be, and what basis would you use to determine such a price? I'm used to CDs costing at least $10, so that would make $150 reasonable...and that's using a minimum calculation.
The standard price for a CD from the soundtrack labels is $19.99. They're smaller, independent outfits catering to a niche audience and that dictates the price. And I've only seen $10 CDs from internet retailers or in used bins - but almost never do I see titles from the small labels going that low unless they had to clear inventory.

The difference in price preception here is marked by the two targets: Star Trek Only fans and film score fans (there are plenty of Trek/Score fans, but I put them under the score banner in this case). Film score fans are mostly okay with the price, or at least understand it, even if they can't afford it. The general attutude of those who can't afford it is "great set and it's reasonble, but still too rich for me." Star Trek Only fans think it's too much money for the music and are upset either at the label or Paramount for price gouging and taking advantage of fans. This couldn't be more wrong.

As a person who loves film scores and have been buying them most of my life, I'm more than aware and used to the price requirements to get these things done and out to the public. It's either $200+ or it ain't coming out. They're not aiming for the casual fan who knows the Amok Time fight music and thinks everything else is recycled material. This set will no doubt sell well, which would be a rarity, since box sets of this size rarely turn a profit for the labels. It's a risk and sometimes they take a bath. Will they at least break even? Hopefully yes. I'm hoping they make a big chunk o'profit, because that makes future releases possible.

Sure, it would be easier for the consumer if they split them up and allowed folks to pick and choose. But God forbid set 2 doesn't do well. Set 3's release would be in danger. No thanks, I'd rather have the high price tag I have to save for, because then I am secure in the knowledge that everything is released.

But that's just me.
Old August 13 2012, 04:36 PM   #49
Jeyl
Commodore

cbspock wrote: View Post
Werent the previously released discs all re-recordings except for the CAGE and Where No Man discs???
No. GNP also released other soundtracks for TOS that were not re-recordings. They've released a CD for "Shore Leave / The Naked Now" and "The Doomsday Machine / Amok Time".
Jeyl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 04:54 PM   #50
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

Really looking forward to the much improved sound quality of the pilots and others. I'm usually very patient when waiting for something, but November is gonna take its time getting here...
Old August 13 2012, 05:13 PM   #51
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Is it just me or did the music sound a lot clearer even in the YouTube video?

$200 just for the "Risk is Our Business" music? Ok, but only if it comes with 18 hours of extras.
Old August 13 2012, 05:46 PM   #52
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Tallguy wrote: View Post
Is it just me or did the music sound a lot clearer even in the YouTube video?
It's not just you. Those tracks all came from our current CD masters.

Neil
Old August 13 2012, 06:00 PM   #53
ssosmcin
Rear Admiral

It's gonna be great watching the Phase 2 episodes and not going nuts because someone over there had unreleased music I wanted. :-)
Old August 13 2012, 06:20 PM   #54
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
It's gonna be great watching the Phase 2 episodes and not going nuts because someone over there had unreleased music I wanted. :-)
Yes. It looks like our corner on the market is about to dry up.

By the way: you can hear the George Duning "Kirk Philosophy" musical cue ("We're on a thousand planets and spreading out"/"risk is our business"/"you could feel the wind at your back") in our latest "Going Boldly" vignette.
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 06:27 PM   #55
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

You might even get some things you never had before.

Neil
Old August 13 2012, 06:29 PM   #56
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Indysolo wrote: View Post
It's not just you. Those tracks all came from our current CD masters.
I suspected as much. I was just as amazed when I heard the new TMP tracks. I thought "There's no way they can be THAT much clearer! Is there?"

So when you guys did that video did you intentionally sprinkle in a few of the "grails" of unreleased Star Trek music? Just to drive us crazy (and get our money)?

ssosmcin wrote: View Post
It's alarming that I had pretty much the same thought.
Old August 13 2012, 06:30 PM   #57
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
By the way: you can hear the George Duning "Kirk Philosophy" musical cue ("We're on a thousand planets and spreading out"/"risk is our business"/"you could feel the wind at your back") in our latest "Going Boldly" vignette.
And don't think I didn't notice. I have a Pavlovian response to that cue.
Old August 13 2012, 06:37 PM   #58
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
And don't think I didn't notice. I have a Pavlovian response to that cue.
I hear ya, man.

it's that same tingle i get up and down my spine whenever I hear the words "Stiff man puttin' my mind in jail...."
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 07:13 PM   #59
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

So when you guys did that video did you intentionally sprinkle in a few of the "grails" of unreleased Star Trek music? Just to drive us crazy (and get our money)?
What would be the point of making a video announcing a box set of unreleased music only to score it with music you already have?

Neil
Old August 13 2012, 07:26 PM   #60
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Indysolo wrote: View Post
You might even get some things you never had before.

Neil
Yeah, the unreleased music is the part I'm looking forward to the most.

Well, actually, I'm looking forward to all of it, but it's the stuff I've never heard before that has me interested right now.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote