Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Closed Thread

Old August 13 2012, 06:29 AM   #31
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: No News, No Nothing!!

(shrugs) As I'm going to see it regardless, I see no benefit to receiving information that might bias me one way or another beforehand.

I would be particularly happy if I didn't have to deal with seeing any footage of it out of context. I was a bit miffed when a trailer for The Hobbit preceded A Game of Shadows.
Old August 13 2012, 09:19 AM   #32
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

StarTrek1701 wrote: View Post
Marvel started promoting the Avengers nearly 2 years before the movie came out and it helped wonders for them.
Every Marvel movie after-credits coda has been a teaser for "The Avengers". How do we know an advance theatrical trailer "helped wonders"?
Old August 13 2012, 09:49 AM   #33
Transwarp Drive
Lieutenant

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Marvel started promoting the Avengers nearly 2 years before the movie came out and it helped wonders for them.
Every Marvel movie after-credits coda has been a teaser for "The Avengers". How do we know an advance theatrical trailer "helped wonders"?
Oh come off it, the fanbase was positively frothing at the mouth when it saw any sort of advance promotion. Trek fans would be no different.
Old August 13 2012, 10:04 AM   #34
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I always avoid teasers and trailers unless I'm definitely not interested in the film. Lots of fans are like that. For every person complaining that there is no advance notice there is another one who is content to wait.
Old August 13 2012, 12:11 PM   #35
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Transwarp Drive wrote: View Post
Oh come off it, the fanbase was positively frothing at the mouth when it saw any sort of advance promotion. Trek fans would be no different.
Seems to me the ST fanbase is frothing at the mouth, too - and JJ hasn't had to give them anything yet. Advance trailer or no advance trailer, teasing about potential villains, or not. Trek fans are doing their own advance promotion right now, right here.
Old August 13 2012, 04:07 PM   #36
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

It is very frustrating, yes. Marvel started promoting the Avengers nearly 2 years before the movie came out and it helped wonders for them. Its about 9 months away and the forced secrecy is kind of dampening the thrust for Star Trek it seems to me. Of course not to me or other Star Trek fans, but the general movie going audience.
That's the thing though, it's way too early for the general movie going audience, get them hyped up now, and there will be nothing left of that hype by the movie comes out. Start all the hype for them now, and by May, they'll be like "Wait, didn't this already come out last year?"

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Old August 13 2012, 04:17 PM   #37
RoJoHen
Awesome

I love that there's no news. I'm tired of my entertainment constantly being spoiled on the internet. I don't want to learn anything until a trailer comes out.
Old August 13 2012, 04:45 PM   #38
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

It's August. It's back-to-school and election season. Nobody except hardcore fans is thinking about next year's summer movies yet. Hell, most people probably haven't even started their Christmas shopping yet.

May isn't even on most people's radar right now.
Old August 13 2012, 04:55 PM   #39
marksound
Fleet Captain

Sindatur wrote: View Post
It is very frustrating, yes. Marvel started promoting the Avengers nearly 2 years before the movie came out and it helped wonders for them. Its about 9 months away and the forced secrecy is kind of dampening the thrust for Star Trek it seems to me. Of course not to me or other Star Trek fans, but the general movie going audience.
That's the thing though, it's way too early for the general movie going audience, get them hyped up now, and there will be nothing left of that hype by the movie comes out. Start all the hype for them now, and by May, they'll be like "Wait, didn't this already come out last year?"
There have been a ton of movies that saturated the market with trailers (at least in theaters) many months, even a year, in advance. When the movie was actually released I had the exact same reaction you described.

Then when the dvd is released, I'm like "didn't that movie just come out?"
Old August 13 2012, 05:47 PM   #40
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Start all the hype for them now, and by May, they'll be like "Wait, didn't this already come out last year?"
Exactly. I hear that all the time from friends and relatives.

You don't want the movie to be old news by the time it finally opens!
Old August 13 2012, 06:46 PM   #41
nightwind1
Commodore

R. Star wrote: View Post
shivkala wrote: View Post
A wise man once said: "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing, after all, as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true."

Once the trailer comes, the bitching will erupt. "Too much lens flare!" "Not enough lens flare!" "Oh man, they're doing a re-tread of Khan!" "Oh man, they're not doing a re-tread of Khan!" "Too much Kirk, not enough Spock!" "Too much Spock, not enough Kirk" "Too much Kirk and Spock, no Riley!" "They went with Riley and still no Rand?" "They have Rand? Of course they're trying to appeal to the sexist men!" "They don't have Rand, they're not doing enough for the sexist men!" "Spock isn't shouting!" "Spock is shouting!"

I think I've made my point...
Expectations are low. After the disapointment of the last one, getting excited seems premature.
Disappointment?

What disappointment?

Many of us enjoyed the hell out of it.

And apparently, we're not the only ones:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek_%28film%29

The film is the highest-grossing in the United States and Canada from the entire Star Trek film franchise, eclipsing The Voyage Home and Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Its opening weekend numbers alone outgross the entire individual runs of The Undiscovered Country, The Final Frontier, Insurrection and Nemesis. Star Trek ended its United States theatrical run on October 1, 2009, with a box office total of $257,730,019, which currently places it as the seventh highest-grossing film for 2009 behind The Hangover. The film grossed $127,764,536 in international markets, for a total worldwide gross of $385,494,555. While foreign grosses represent only 31% of the total box office receipts, executives of Paramount were happy with the international sales, as Star Trek historically was a movie franchise that never has been a big draw overseas.
Star Trek received very positive reviews from film critics. The film has a 95% approval rating on the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, based on 292 reviews with an average rating of 8.1/10, with the consensus: "Star Trek reignites a classic franchise with action, humor, a strong story, and brilliant visuals, and will please traditional Trekkies and new fans alike." Metacritic, which assigns a weighted average score, gave the film a 83 out of 100 based on 37 reviews from critics
Doesn't sound disappointing to me.

May have been the losing side. Still not convinced it was the wrong one.
Old August 13 2012, 09:05 PM   #42
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

If nothing else, you have to hand it to them for how well they've managed to keep it so under wraps. Consider how much footage from The Dark Knight Rises (the fight on the steps, the Bat in action) or The Avengers (Captain America fighting Loki in Germany) or the like leaked onto the internet months in advance.

You may not like their tactic, but having decided to keep as tight a lid as they could on this movie, JJ and Co. are certainly good at sticking to it.
Old August 13 2012, 10:28 PM   #43
Therin of Andor
Admiral

Carcazoid wrote: View Post
There have been a ton of movies that saturated the market with trailers (at least in theaters) many months, even a year, in advance.
Marketing people are paid/trained well to plan their strategies. Every movie would be evaluated on its own merits, and a campaign carefully planned (within budget) as to whether its success will hinge upon surprise, suspense, secrecy, saturation, curiosity or word of mouth.
Old August 14 2012, 11:52 AM   #44
StarMan
Vice Admiral

I would love to see a trailer but there is a method to their madness. I say kudos on managing to keep one of the world's most ravenous fan bases so completely in the dark! Quite a feat... damnit.
Old August 14 2012, 02:28 PM   #45
DarmokandJalad
Ensign

I was the kid who peaked at his presents before Christmas. It's just my nature to eat up any tidbit that gets leaked. I'm sure we'll have a trailer this fall but more than likely it's going to be a teaser trailer with little information about the plot. Probably closer to Christmas will they release something with a bit more substance. I'm guessing around that time the marketing/merchandise folks will have their hands on whatever plot/character data they need to do their thing and more info will leak.
Closed Thread