Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old August 11 2012, 05:19 AM   #16
KirkPicard
Captain

Re: La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

I believe only 12 episodes have had near complete or selected cues released from the original television scores and are non-reorchestrations. These are the following:

SEASON 1
1. THE CAGE

2. WHERE NO MAN HAS GONE BEFORE

3. THE CORBOMITE MANUEVER

4. THE NAKED TIME

5. BALANCE OF TERROR

6. WHAT ARE LITTLE GIRLS MADE OF?

7. THE CONSCIENCE OF THE KING

8. SHORE LEAVE

SEASON 2
9. AMOK TIME

10. THE DOOMSDAY MACHINE

11. THE TROUBLE WITH TRIBBLES

I am ecstatic to the nth degree about this comprehensive release. Interesting that the GNP liner notes mentioned a fire or flood which damaged "The Cage" and "WNMHGB" recordings, which resulted in the poor quality (hisses, pops, etc) in that release. Evidently, all these scores were well preserved in a vault with all the others.
Old August 11 2012, 06:28 AM   #17
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

Esteban wrote: View Post
If this set is as advertised, I will crack open the IRA for it.

The only quibble I have so far is about that guy saying that no 3rd season music has been released, which is not correct. I believe we have from GNP/Cresendo some "Is There In Truth..." music and a few cuts from "The Paradise Syndrome". And wasn't there some from "The Empath" done too? But those may have been re-orchestrations. The mind grows dim.
I said that, and it's true. We've had re-recordings of third season music, but never the original recordings. With this set, all of the third season music makes it's debut, including music written but never used!

Neil
Old August 11 2012, 08:43 AM   #18
TrekAlliance92
Captain

Simply. Awesome. I loved the Ron Jones TNG set. All cues? Plus, new Trek music never heard before? Wow. Can't wait!
TrekAlliance92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 09:19 AM   #19
M
Vice Admiral

Wow, just wow! There is no way I am NOT getting this! Here's hoping they can deliver to Germany without problems ...
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 03:22 PM   #20
Basill
Captain

OMG OMG OMG

Bouncing off walls... OMG.

Visit my Trek Art blog at: http://starstation.wordpress.com/
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 03:41 PM   #21
M
Vice Admiral

Boy, I'm so excited about this! Do you guys think this will also include the songs from "The Way to Eden"? I guess not, since this will probably only be the scores, but it would be so great if they included them anyway. Well, one can dream.
Old August 11 2012, 03:54 PM   #22
Scotty
Rear Admiral

I am no way near as excited about this release, as I was about FSM's release of The Ron Jones Project. I think this TOS boxset will be far more expensive and I am undecided if I am going to buy.
Old August 11 2012, 03:57 PM   #23
Basill
Captain

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Boy, I'm so excited about this! Do you guys think this will also include the songs from "The Way to Eden"? I guess not, since this will probably only be the scores, but it would be so great if they included them anyway. Well, one can dream.
Or Nichelle Nichols singing her songs like "Beyond Anatares" From "Conscience of the King" And that one from Charlie X. That would be awesome too.

Visit my Trek Art blog at: http://starstation.wordpress.com/
Basill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 05:14 PM   #24
Indysolo
Fleet Captain

We played "Far Out Jam" at the panel where we announced this.

Neil
Old August 11 2012, 06:40 PM   #25
M
Vice Admiral

Basill wrote: View Post
Or Nichelle Nichols singing her songs like "Beyond Anatares" From "Conscience of the King" And that one from Charlie X. That would be awesome too.
Yes, those would be great, too. But personally I was always more interested in the songs from "Way to Eden", as in-episode some of them are only presented with dialog and/or other filtering sound effects mixed in. For years I've been wanting to get these songs in clear quality.

Indysolo wrote: View Post
We played "Far Out Jam" at the panel where we announced this.

Neil
So this means we actually will get those gems?! I mean, for real?

This is getting better and better. If those songs are included I will definitely buy this set – whatever the cost.
Old August 11 2012, 06:49 PM   #26
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

I will begin saving up for this immediately. I was lucky enough to get TNG's The Ron Jones Project from Amazon at a significant discount, but by then it had been out for something like a year. if this set is even half as good as that one, It'll be worth every penny.

The news article did get one thing wrong however. It said that no music from season three has ever been released. The Empath is represented on the CD that includes Mirror, Mirror and The Trouble With Tribbles. Of course, that's just a minor nitpick. I love the music from season three and consider it some of the finest ever recorded for Star Trek. I listen to the Empath CD all the time. It'll be nice to have all the music from that season.

Hell, it'll be nice to have that set.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 06:51 PM   #27
NebulaClassGuy
Lieutenant Commander

This is an interesting question, and truth be told, IF they were to indeed include them, I would most likely definitely buy the set. But As it is, I already have the current GNP releases for TOS, and those serve me well for now. But I would LOVE to have those "The Way to Eden" songs.
NebulaClassGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 07:10 PM   #28
Christopher
Writer

RandyS wrote: View Post
The news article did get one thing wrong however. It said that no music from season three has ever been released. The Empath is represented on the CD that includes Mirror, Mirror and The Trouble With Tribbles.
As Indysolo already explained, what the article stated, correctly, was that none of the original recordings of third-season music have ever been released. All the third-season scores that were released on soundtrack albums (originally LPs) from Varese Sarabande and Label X were new performances created for the albums.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 07:11 PM   #29
Ian Keldon
Fleet Captain

*Sigh* another boutique project that will likely be WAY overpriced. CBS/Paramount really needs to stop doing this to the fans.
Ian Keldon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 07:12 PM   #30
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
*Sigh* another boutique project that will likely be WAY overpriced. CBS/Paramount really needs to stop doing this to the fans.

Assuming you're working a full time job, how hard is it to put away $20 a week?

I swear, people have such a sense of entitlement these days. God forbid anyone actually save their money for a while instead of having to buy buy buy RIGHT THIS SECOND. And Trek fans are sometimes the worst about it, because there's just such a high ratio of fans who have instant-gratification syndrome. It's why Paramount can charge $150 for a season of TNG when it first came out on DVD - they know the nerds will drop the cash for it.

But this isn't Paramount selling this set, it's La-La Land. And La-La Land has an unblemished record (pun intended) for getting genre-friendly releases out to the fans and usually at affordable prices. The Ron Jones Project was an epic undertaking and given that shortly after its release it was already being bootlegged, we should be on our hands and knees thanking the guys at La-La Land for venturing forth in to another big Trek project like this.

And that's is nothing to say about how the cost of this set is relative to the amount of work that actually went in to producing it. Do you have any idea how much time, effort and work the guys at La-La Land do on any given album they release, let alone a megaset like this? I'm guessing you don't, or you at least haven't taken the time to consider it based on your cavalier, self-absorbed response. Grow the fuck up.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote