Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old August 10 2012, 05:05 AM   #1
Sorcery
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Send a message via Yahoo to Sorcery
How to create your own Star Trek RPG?

Hi..

I've been interested for a while on how I would create my own star trek rpg? I know that some people use NOVA where it like automatically gives you templates and things but I found it very difficult to use.

Could someone please help me by telling me what I would do to start my own RPG?

-erin
Sorcery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 07:45 AM   #2
Jono
Rear Admiral

Re: How to create your own Star Trek RPG?

Wrong forum. Try over at Trek Gaming.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 05:44 PM   #3
Sorcery
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Send a message via Yahoo to Sorcery

Oops!
Sorcery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Game Maker has free trial editions, but it's difficult to use for complex projects like RPGs if you're a beginning user.

If you're willing to discard graphics and learn some coding, you can download the Python interepreter and create an RPG as simple or complex as you want- however, the lack of graphics means that you would have to describe everything in the game through your writing.

No matter what you do, it's going to help infinitely if you have a particular role-playing system in mind; for example, Planescape: The Torment and Baldur's Gate are based on the Dungeons & Dragons rules, and the Knights of the Old Republic games are based on a modified version of D&D.

Since it's a sci-fi game, I'd recommend the Star Frontiers system (under "Digitally Remastered" on the left)- it has rules for space combat in the Knight Hawks supplement, and for mutation in the Gamma Dawn book. The rules from Zebulon's Guide to the Frontier (an update of the core rulebook) are incompatible with the other supplements IIRC.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
Game Maker has free trial editions, but it's difficult to use for complex projects like RPGs if you're a beginning user.

If you're willing to discard graphics and learn some coding, you can download the Python interepreter and create an RPG as simple or complex as you want- however, the lack of graphics means that you would have to describe everything in the game through your writing.

No matter what you do, it's going to help infinitely if you have a particular role-playing system in mind; for example, Planescape: The Torment and Baldur's Gate are based on the Dungeons & Dragons rules, and the Knights of the Old Republic games are based on a modified version of D&D.

Since it's a sci-fi game, I'd recommend the Star Frontiers system (under "Digitally Remastered" on the left)- it has rules for space combat in the Knight Hawks supplement, and for mutation in the Gamma Dawn book. The rules from Zebulon's Guide to the Frontier (an update of the core rulebook) are incompatible with the other supplements IIRC.
Python can do graphics, you know. Just get Pygame! That's what I use.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 08:58 PM   #6
JRoss
Captain

You could use Forum Motion, a lot of PbP that I do use that system. As for rules, I would recommend Traveller; I like the system a lot.
Old August 11 2012, 12:07 AM   #7
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I couldn't ever figure out pygame. Even following along with a tutorial, it didn't make any sense to me I'll probably take another crack at it eventually, but for now I'll stick to learning vanilla Python.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post
I couldn't ever figure out pygame. Even following along with a tutorial, it didn't make any sense to me I'll probably take another crack at it eventually, but for now I'll stick to learning vanilla Python.
It's actually pretty easy once you understand its basic mechanisms. It's really just a port of SDL, which is a fairly common graphics/audio/input API.
My blog
Old August 11 2012, 06:58 PM   #9
Kelthaz
Rear Admiral

I've been using C# with XNA for my game. I originally tried making a game with SDL, but it was far too time intensive. XNA is a huge improvement.

"I'm the locksmith. And... I'm the locksmith."
Kelthaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 08:55 PM   #10
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

I've heard good things about XNA, but SDL/Pygame is good enough for what I'm doing.
My blog