Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old August 8 2012, 06:14 PM   #76
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: Star Trek: The Next Generation Blu-ray Audio Issues

picard_2305 wrote: View Post
Good news for the UK European fans, I got this email today.

Dear Neill,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We have discovered an anomaly in the English 7.1 DTS Master Audio track in our Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 Blu-ray Box set. There are some episodes that inadvertently had their front channel designations incorrectly mapped, resulting in an undesired playback experience when listening to them in a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment. In addition, we have taken this opportunity to correct a few minor issues that were found on other episodes.

We are quickly working to remedy the situation by recalling affected product and replacing it. Corrected versions can be identified by the appearance of a red Delta on the spine and will contain barcode no: 5051368241838 for ease of identification. If you purchased the box set prior to the recall, this will be replaced and will be made available free of charge. Please email stng@sonydadc.com for details regarding the replacement program. You may also call 01992 657 739 Monday-Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.

We strive to provide our fans the best Blu-ray experience possible and sincerely apologise for this inconvenience.

Lisa Moyes | Senior Brand Manager
Paramount Home Entertainment (UK)

T: 0203 184 2478 | M: 07747 765 484
Awesome, many thanks, picard_2305! I'll be on the blower first thing in the morning.
Old August 8 2012, 06:20 PM   #77
Timo47
Commander

In addition, we have taken this opportunity to correct a few minor issues that were found on other episodes.
This is interesting. I wonder what other issues they are referring to. Other audio issues? The missing phaser shot? Something else?
Old August 8 2012, 06:42 PM   #78
trekker670
Captain

Timo47 wrote: View Post
In addition, we have taken this opportunity to correct a few minor issues that were found on other episodes.
This is interesting. I wonder what other issues they are referring to. Other audio issues? The missing phaser shot? Something else?
I also find this interesting, the phaser shot and replacing some of the recently-found stock shots they to recreate with CG and (doubtfully) the missing film from "We'll Always have Paris," are all big ones that would be great if they fixed.

It also appears there will be a variation in packaging (an additional Delta symbol).
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 07:05 PM   #79
picard_2305
Lieutenant Junior Grade

trekker670 wrote: View Post
Timo47 wrote: View Post
I also find this interesting, the phaser shot and replacing some of the recently-found stock shots they to recreate with CG and (doubtfully) the missing film from "We'll Always have Paris," are all big ones that would be great if they fixed.

It also appears there will be a variation in packaging (an additional Delta symbol).

That intrigued me as well, it sounds like a full set will be replaced to us.
picard_2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 07:32 PM   #80
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

Good news for the UK European fans, I got this email today.

Dear Neill,

Thank you for your e-mail.

We have discovered an anomaly in the English 7.1 DTS Master Audio track in our Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 Blu-ray Box set. There are some episodes that inadvertently had their front channel designations incorrectly mapped, resulting in an undesired playback experience when listening to them in a 7.1 or 5.1 Surround Sound environment. In addition, we have taken this opportunity to correct a few minor issues that were found on other episodes.

We are quickly working to remedy the situation by recalling affected product and replacing it. Corrected versions can be identified by the appearance of a red Delta on the spine and will contain barcode no: 5051368241838 for ease of identification. If you purchased the box set prior to the recall, this will be replaced and will be made available free of charge. Please email stng@sonydadc.com for details regarding the replacement program. You may also call 01992 657 739 Monday-Friday between 9:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.

We strive to provide our fans the best Blu-ray experience possible and sincerely apologise for this inconvenience.

Lisa Moyes | Senior Brand Manager
Paramount Home Entertainment (UK)

T: 0203 184 2478 | M: 07747 765 484
OK, I'm confused.

First, they were going to replace certain specific discs.

Now they're talking about replacing the entire set?

I don't know what to expect now.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 07:34 PM   #81
trekker670
Captain

...It also appears there will be a variation in packaging (an additional Delta symbol).
That's not how I interpreted it. I took it as the retail versions will be replaced, so if you're going out to purchase a set you can identify the corrected version.

It would be nice if we got a replacement set though, as that would mean that we would have both variation of the boxart and possibly more corrections (episodes not on the discs that contain audio errors). I find this unlikely though, as this would cost more to produce (3 discs vs 6 discs + packaging) and to ship in addition to possibly losing sales as people try to resell the original release with the errors.
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 09:24 PM   #82
LOKAI of CHERON
Commodore

Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.

...It also appears there will be a variation in packaging (an additional Delta symbol).
That's not how I interpreted it. I took it as the retail versions will be replaced, so if you're going out to purchase a set you can identify the corrected version.

It would be nice if we got a replacement set though, as that would mean that we would have both variation of the boxart and possibly more corrections (episodes not on the discs that contain audio errors). I find this unlikely though, as this would cost more to produce (3 discs vs 6 discs + packaging) and to ship in addition to possibly losing sales as people try to resell the original release with the errors.
All good points, I think it'll almost certainly be a 3 disc replacement program.
Old August 9 2012, 02:57 PM   #83
Glommer
Cadet

So the release date of the steelbook set has been pushed back to August 30th, according to the german Amazon site.

Still no further information, the german customer service (mail) didn't really know anything about the audio issue...
Glommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2012, 06:05 PM   #84
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Information from Play.com:

We are writing in regards to an order that you placed with us recently for Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 Box Set (6 Discs)

We have just been informed by Paramount that during the manufacturing process of this item a fault with the sound on some discs has been discovered. Paramount are currently producing replacement discs that we will then be able to send out to you. A replacement copy of this item will be sent to you as soon as the new stock is received in our warehouse. Due to the nature of this issue please allow 28 days for the replacement to arrive. Once the replacement item arrives please dispose of the faulty item, there is no need on this occasion for the faulty item to be returned to us.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused in this matter and we would like to thank you for shopping with Play.com.
Old August 9 2012, 10:06 PM   #85
Kryten
Ensign

Good to see that from Play but has anyone heard anything from HMV (online) where I bought my copy? I assumed that above UK e-mail address would get an automated reply to messages but clearly not.
Kryten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 12:23 AM   #86
picard_2305
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post

We are writing in regards to an order that you placed with us recently for Star Trek: The Next Generation - Season 1 Box Set (6 Discs)

We have just been informed by Paramount that during the manufacturing process of this item a fault with the sound on some discs has been discovered. Paramount are currently producing replacement discs that we will then be able to send out to you. A replacement copy of this item will be sent to you as soon as the new stock is received in our warehouse. Due to the nature of this issue please allow 28 days for the replacement to arrive. Once the replacement item arrives please dispose of the faulty item, there is no need on this occasion for the faulty item to be returned to us.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused in this matter and we would like to thank you for shopping with Play.com.
Yea I got this email as well. Cool
picard_2305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 07:27 AM   #87
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

I've always found Play's after-sales service to be very good, unlike a certain fluvial-themed vendor I won't mention. As for HMV, I hear they seemed to be struggling financially, so perhaps they'll wait until customers complain loudly enough, or perhaps they'll opt to deny responsibility. There's no information on the website that I could easily discern.
Old August 10 2012, 07:29 AM   #88
Scotty
Rear Admiral

So we will get a replacement set, not just a couple of discs. Great news.

Amazon UK has kept quite though, as of late. Has anyone had an e-mail from them because I haven't.
Old August 10 2012, 07:33 AM   #89
Scotty
Rear Admiral

I've always found Play's after-sales service to be very good, unlike a certain fluvial-themed vendor I won't mention. As for HMV, I hear they seemed to be struggling financially, so perhaps they'll wait until customers complain loudly enough, or perhaps they'll opt to deny responsibility. There's no information on the website that I could easily discern.
Play didn't do a thing to reassure customers when they complained about the issues. They kept selling the sets for days after Amazon removed them from the site. Only now, after Paramount contacted them have they send out these e-mails.

I never had any problems with Amazon and always found their service over the years examplary.
Old August 10 2012, 07:45 AM   #90
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Well, Amazon.uk have made a high percentage of mistakes in my orders from them, and, when the mistakes involved multiple debits for the same transaction, they tried initially to deny responsibility. Your mileage may vary. I still order stuff from them occasionally but I always have a queasy feeling that they're going to screw up. Probably Play were waiting for confirmation as it's going to cost them to implement the replacement. I have the faulty discs but I don't expect an instant fix.