RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,568
Posts: 5,402,575
Members: 24,865
Currently online: 659
Newest member: shyrim

TrekToday headlines

October-November 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Cho Selfie TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

TPTB To Shatner: Shhh!
By: T'Bonz on Sep 30

Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 9 2012, 10:42 PM   #1426
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

RHWs space opera is the top of my list, too, but I like the idea of a swashbuckling space opera and Starz gritty space war approach, I'm assuming that they will go for the nasty ass Spartacus style. Wouldn't it be great to have a range of space opera types to choose from?

For the HBO series, thing I'm not too keen about on, is that it sounds like its following the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trend, just adding a sci fi element. I'm not really interested in the whole dark detective story thing but obviously it's impossible to tell from a brief description how the series would turn out. I'm pleased to see HBO is not allergic to sci fi as a genre.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2012, 10:51 PM   #1427
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
RHWs space opera is the top of my list, too, but I like the idea of a swashbuckling space opera and Starz gritty space war approach, I'm assuming that they will go for the nasty ass Spartacus style. Wouldn't it be great to have a range of space opera types to choose from?

For the HBO series, thing I'm not too keen about on, is that it sounds like its following the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trend, just adding a sci fi element. I'm not really interested in the whole dark detective story thing but obviously it's impossible to tell from a brief description how the series would turn out. I'm pleased to see HBO is not allergic to sci fi as a genre.
Choose, hell. If they're all worth watching, I'm watching them all

Yea, I'll try whatever Space Opera I have access to, and only dump what doesn't suit my fancy
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 02:46 AM   #1428
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Actual space opera sighting: Clandestine!
SyFy has put in development Clandestine, a drama produced by Universal Cable Prods. Written by actor-writer Todd Stashwick and artist Dennis Calero, Clandestine is described as a swash-buckling space drama/adventure and revolves around mercenaries who masquerade as part of an Intergalactic fleet...The project stems from an option at UCP had on Stashwick & Calero's online comic Devil Inside.
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Who says HBO doesn't do sci fi?

Michael R. Roskam, who got a Best Foreign-Language Film Oscar nomination last year for his Belgian film Bullhead, is at the center of a new HBO pilot script order, one which teams him with Michael Mann and Breaking Bad executive producer Mark Johnson. HBO has ordered a pilot script for a drama titled Buda Bridge, a Belgian-set crime story that takes place in Brussels in the near future. It unfolds when a woman is found dead on Buda Bridge, which leads to a series of violent crimes and strange science that bring mayhem to the dark capital of the European state.
Hmm. I have a feeling that swashbuckling space opera is going to be more my kinda thing...
Both of them sound good to me. I've seen Stashwick in some good roles as an actor, but I have no idea what to make of him as someone behind the camera.
I like the idea of a sci-fi show set in Europe. It seems like most of that kind of stuff I've coma cross is set either in the US or Asia, or a Blade Runner/Firefly style amalgamation of the two.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 05:31 PM   #1429
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral
 
Enterprise is Great's Avatar
 
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

NBC Developing Super Villain Drama

NBC has put in development Hench, a high-concept drama from Peter Berg and Sarah Aubrey’s Film 44 and Universal TV. Written by Alexandra Cunningham, Hench centers on a regular guy who, in order to support his family, gets jobs temping for super villains. Cunningham, Berg and Aubrey executive produce.
__________________
JJverse Star Trek...ROCKED on May 17, 2013 and beyond!
Enterprise is Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 06:03 PM   #1430
Borgminister
Moderator
 
Location: California
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Hm. Potentially interesting--but for a series?
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 06:46 PM   #1431
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

A hapless ordinary guy who gets involved in various evil schemes just to make a living could be fun. Since its broadcast, no doubt it will be light and funny rather than dark and angsty.

If they wanted to be a bit clever, they could turn it into a metaphor for everyone's working life, but I guess I shouldn't ask too much.

Since Zachary Levi is currently without a show, they should look at him for the lead.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 10:46 PM   #1432
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion
 
RJDiogenes's Avatar
 
Location: RJDiogenes of Boston
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

They say it's a drama, but it does sound like a comedy. Nevertheless, it's an interesting concept. I'd be likely to give it a try.
__________________
Please stop by my Gallery and YouTube Page for a visit. And read Trunkards! And check out my Heroes essays.
RJDiogenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 11:00 PM   #1433
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Interesting. At least somebody is trying something a little bit different.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 03:23 AM   #1434
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Since Zachary Levi is currently without a show, they should look at him for the lead.
Zack Levi is playing Fandral in Thor: The Dark World, he might be looking do to more in the theater than on television.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 02:24 PM   #1435
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral
 
Vendikarr's Avatar
 
Location: Vendikarr
Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
NBC Developing Super Villain Drama

NBC has put in development Hench, a high-concept drama from Peter Berg and Sarah Aubrey’s Film 44 and Universal TV. Written by Alexandra Cunningham, Hench centers on a regular guy who, in order to support his family, gets jobs temping for super villains. Cunningham, Berg and Aubrey executive produce.
This concept reminds me of the character Dylan Battles from the pre-reboot DCU.
__________________
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended.” - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 14 2012, 07:15 PM   #1436
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral
 
Temis the Vorta's Avatar
 
Location: Tatoinne
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

DWF wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Since Zachary Levi is currently without a show, they should look at him for the lead.
Zack Levi is playing Fandral in Thor: The Dark World, he might be looking do to more in the theater than on television.
He was also cast in the lead of a sitcom that didnt get picked up for this season, so he hasnt dropped out of the TV biz.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17 2012, 11:45 PM   #1437
Mistral
Vice Admiral
 
Mistral's Avatar
 
Location: Between the candle and the flame
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Hench sounds like fun.
__________________
...sf fandom is only a personality disorder if you do it right.-Klaus
http://www.adastrafanfic.com - archive stories! www.4rumboys.com for honest gaming

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2012, 02:30 AM   #1438
Sindatur
Vice Admiral
 
Sindatur's Avatar
 
Location: Sacramento, CA
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
DWF wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Since Zachary Levi is currently without a show, they should look at him for the lead.
Zack Levi is playing Fandral in Thor: The Dark World, he might be looking do to more in the theater than on television.
He was also cast in the lead of a sitcom that didnt get picked up for this season, so he hasnt dropped out of the TV biz.
I enjoyed him on The Talking Dead, and hope he does it again this year. He didn't look anything like Chuck, LOL.
__________________
One Day I hope to be the Man my Cat thinks I am

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2012, 04:19 AM   #1439
Enterprise is Great
Rear Admiral
 
Enterprise is Great's Avatar
 
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...lopment-363795

Finn and Sawyer

The network is developing Finn & Sawyer, a contemporary take on Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.

The drama hails from Detroit 1-8-7 duo Jason Richman and David Zabel and is described as an adventure-themed reinvention that revolves around the two famed literary characters who re-meet as young men in their 20s and form an investigative firm in a bustling and steampunk
New Orleans.
Gothica

Race to Witch Mountain's Matt Lopez has sold Gothica, a supernatural mystery drama to the network.

The project, which is not related to the 2003 Halle Berry feature Gothika, centers on a woman searching for her own identity in modern San Francisco who delves into a world of supernatural mystery and horror, guided by an enigmatic playboy named Dorian Gray.
__________________
JJverse Star Trek...ROCKED on May 17, 2013 and beyond!
Enterprise is Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18 2012, 06:16 AM   #1440
sojourner
Admiral
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Location: I'm at WKRP
Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...lopment-363795

Finn and Sawyer

The network is developing Finn & Sawyer, a contemporary take on Mark Twain's The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Hollywood Reporter has learned exclusively.

The drama hails from Detroit 1-8-7 duo Jason Richman and David Zabel and is described as an adventure-themed reinvention that revolves around the two famed literary characters who re-meet as young men in their 20s and form an investigative firm in a bustling and steampunk
New Orleans.
So, this could be a direct prequel to League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?
__________________
Baby, you and me were never meant to be, just maybe think of me once in a while...
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.