Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant

Saldana: Balancing Work And Motherhood

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 9 2012, 04:03 AM   #181
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: They are going ahead with a Justice League movie

Keep in mind Deadline is also a rival of Variety's which broke the story, as cinemablend points out in their article.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Has-B...gue-32386.html

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2012, 10:27 AM   #182
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Heh that's weird I was just thinking yesterday morning he could be a candidate for director.

Ben Affleck as Batman?

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2012, 10:38 AM   #183
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

Too smug.

I remember once in the 60s, the shit hit the fan after a botched kidnapping that it was Millionaire Bruce Wayne and Robin who fought the Jokers goons to a standstill... And Robin is saying "Dude, don't be so awesome, let them hit you in the face more or they'll figure out that you're really Batman."

Bruce Wayne is a drunk slob of a slut, & his only other setting is passed out.

How difficult would it be to DIRECT Afleck into being that guy?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2012, 11:12 AM   #184
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I'm not sure why people are rolling their eyes at Affleck (here and elsewhere). He has a solid track record as a director. Indeed, at this point, he's already directed as many feature films as Joss Whedon had when he tackled The Avengers. And has at least one Oscar for screenwriting.

And, as Captain Craig pointed out, John Favreau was not an obvious choice for IRON MAN, but . . .
This.

davejames wrote: View Post
Judging by previous interviews I've read with Affleck, there's no chance whatsoever he'll want to do this.

He has no interest in the mainstream, popcorny stuff anymore and prefers making interesting, arty films now.
I think you're only half right. I would say that Gone, Baby Gone and The Town are mainstream but not popcorny. I'd say that they're interesting but not arty. They were both mainstream intelligent thrillers of the type that is increasingly rare in big-budget Hollywood now. They weren't Transformers but neither were they Dogme.

He's made it clear that he has no interest in returning to Daredevil so I suspect that he doesn't have any interest in comic book movies and won't do this. But I think his CV is not unlike that of Chris Nolan before he did Batman (Memento and Insomnia under his belt) or Bryan Singer pre-X-Men (Usual Suspects and Apt Pupil).

And he's great with ensembles whole The Town in particular showed that he can handle an action scene. It looks like they want a director in the vein of Nolan. I'm not entirely persuaded that making a JL movie first, without introducing its characters individually is a good idea. But if they're going to do it, they could opt for a much worse director.
Old August 9 2012, 07:51 PM   #185
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I'm not sure why people are rolling their eyes at Affleck (here and elsewhere). . .
Do not question the internet fanboy hatred of Ben Affleck. It is a mysterious fundamental force of the universe much like the secret gravity which steals your socks from the dryer. You cannot hope to fathom that force even if you spent your lifetime contemplating strange and charmed quarks, heating coils and the horrible trend begun by the unnamed reporter who coined the term "Bennifer". Some things are simply beyond our ken and must be accepted, which means, in the end, Ben Affleck has your socks. Deal with it.
Old August 9 2012, 08:24 PM   #186
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Ben Affleck is a good director. Very good even. The Town and Gone Baby Gone are both really good movies.

I haven't seen any evidence that he can do really big budget action sequences though. But that doesn't mean he can't, after all there was a time where Joss Whedon, Favreau, etc didn't have that experience either.

Justice League needs that larger than life bombastic quality. It seems like such a massive change in style from what he's done previously though.
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2012, 09:55 PM   #187
the G-man
Commodore

If anything, given the noirish aspects of his movies to date, I'd forget about Affleck for JLA and be trying to line him up for the Batman reboot.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 02:00 AM   #188
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I wouldn't be surprised if Warner Bros does consider him for the Batman reboot if he does end up turning down "Justice League". He has become one of their go to directors lately.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 02:02 AM   #189
Set Harth
Rear Admiral

"I'm not interested in doing that movie about DC superheroes. What else ya got?"
"...We have just the thing."
Old August 10 2012, 05:54 AM   #190
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

the G-man wrote: View Post
If anything, given the noirish aspects of his movies to date, I'd forget about Affleck for JLA and be trying to line him up for the Batman reboot.
No, no, he should direct the Daredvil reboot.
Old August 10 2012, 06:04 AM   #191
Dream
Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Warner Bros does consider him for the Batman reboot if he does end up turning down "Justice League". He has become one of their go to directors lately.
TDKR hasn't even been out 2 weeks and people are already thinking about the reboot? Where's the respect for Nolan?
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 01:29 PM   #192
Christopher
Writer

By now, Batman has been "rebooted" several times on television with barely any interval between versions -- The Batman ran simultaneously with Justice League Unlimited, then Batman: The Brave and the Bold came along right after JLU ended, Young Justice overlapped TB&TB, and now we have Beware the Batman coming next year. That's five different incarnations of Batman either overlapping each other or coming close on each other's heels. And that's not counting the multiple versions of Batman seen across the various DC Universe Animated Original Movies on DVD.

I'm sure Nolan understands as well as anyone that Batman is Warner Bros.' biggest and most profitable character (at least now that Harry Potter is over), and they're not going to keep him off movie screens for very long.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 09:41 PM   #193
Lapis Exilis
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
TDKR hasn't even been out 2 weeks and people are already thinking about the reboot? Where's the respect for Nolan?
You're as good as your latest movie. TDKR is fun, but it doesn't make a lick of sense and most people are rather disappointed in it. He missed making a legendary trilogy by one movie so...

(I'm sure he'll cry himself all the way to the bank.)
Old August 10 2012, 11:47 PM   #194
Christopher
Writer

^I don't get the sense that most people are disappointed, except in the sense that it's not as great as TDK was. The consensus is that it has serious flaws but is also excellent in a lot of ways.

And I'd say Nolan missed making a legendary trilogy by two movies. TDK is the only really brilliant one that holds together from start to finish. Batman Begins was impressive in a lot of ways, but it was undermined by its badly handled, logically incoherent action scenes, specifically the temple explosion and the whole climactic sequence.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 11:54 PM   #195
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

For writing/directing a JLA movie how about... Kevin Smith?