New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old July 29 2012, 07:27 PM   #196
LtGarak
Commodore

Re: My first voyage with Voyager

Janeway is no Companion, Firefly version, not Doctor Who.

That being that, I liked this episode. But then, I love these depressing stories, sort of reminiscent of Les Mis style storytelling.

I agree, it was a good character development piece for Tuvok.
LtGarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 04:03 AM   #197
Qutluch
Commander

Prototype

What an awesome opening! This was easily my favorite introduction to an episode. I am really impressed on how they filmed the opening scene. Showing the crew through the eyes of the robot (as the camera) was brilliant. It was a different way to visualize the crew, and the part where the robot looks at their screens to see itself being “operated” on was rather dramatic. I do have to say though, I hate when the credits role and I see the Doctor’s name, “Picardo”, because it always makes me miss Captain Picard!

B’Elanna is dead set on fixing the robot and refuses to sleep until she does. I love how she verbally spanks Kim when he tries to argue that he can stay up if she is staying up. She even makes a sly comment about Star Fleet, ah, B’Elanna, how I love her sassy ways! While B’Elanna is running through every perceivable way to fix the robot Neelix cuts her off from coffee and gives her a good piece of advice about working while you are too tired. What a great morale officer, he always has a quirky piece of knowledge to share with anyone who is willing, or not willing to listen.

After taking Neelix’s advice to sleep B’Elanna wakes up with a brilliant idea and rushes to speak to the Doctor. I like it that she shows up in her pajamas. Her character is so reactive I wouldn’t have believed it if she changed first, or if she would have said goodbye or thank you to the doctor before rushing out the door once she had her idea.

After B’Elanna successfully fixes the robot it kidnapped her, brought her to its own ship, and attacked Voyager. B’Elanna barters with the robot that she would “fix” one of their design flaws if they stopped their attack on Voyager. While speaking with the robot she talks about DATA!! Data is my favorite Star Trek character of all time, so even the mention of him makes this episode better!! It turns out the robots are in the middle of a Civil War of some sorts and are responsible for killing their own builders because the builders tried to turn them off. The flaw B’Elanna fixed was a restrictive measure to stop “procreation” that the builders put in place. Once B’Elanna realizes what she did she terminates the robot she built a prototype for.

Favorite part: The writers did a great job with B’Elanna’s character this episode. They showed her intelligence, her rashness, and her brazen opinions on Star Fleet. This was easily the best B’Elanna episode thus far.

Least favorite part: Janeway and B’Elanna’s discussion on the Prime Directive. I feel like they have already broken the Prime Directive a number of times at this point, and I don’t understand why Janeway is so reluctant to be of some assistance. To some extent, I think the Voyager has to break the Prime Directive at points in order to survive on their own while they are lost in space.
Old August 8 2012, 08:45 AM   #198
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

The self destruct was invented so that they wouldn't have to break the Prime Directive.

What I found interesting about tapping the Prime Directive in this episode is that these robots are from a technologically superior culture than the federation, yet the social and political issues bound tot he Prime Directive still apply.

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 10:32 AM   #199
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

B'Elanna's fantastic in that episode. This reminds me, she really has several knockout eps throughout the series' run -- even a couple in the Janeway-Seven-Doctor Triforce seasons.
Old August 8 2012, 10:42 AM   #200
lurok
Commodore

Having just rewatched series for first time in years, she's definitely one of the highlights, along with Russ, for me. Consistently good from the start and really grows as a character and actress. And I didn't use to like her very much. Go figure.
Old August 8 2012, 11:40 AM   #201
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Me neither! I thought she was shrieky and Tom insipid. Well I still think he's a bit insipid but the relationship works quite well and is believable to me now. I really like how B'Elanna is in a constant state of sass. Her antagonism towards 7 is lots of fun as well as being nicely realistic. The Borg are terrifying, it would make more sense to have crew members deeply uncomfortable or hostile especially with a bunch of Borg tech still buried in 7's skull.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 11:49 AM   #202
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

I think the reason we don't see Joe Carey for so long is because he's hiding from Seven. Likely, he asked Naomi for a good hiding place and never looked back.

I'm still working on the perfect expanation for where he is in Seasons 2 and 3, though.
Old August 8 2012, 12:03 PM   #203
teacake
Admiral

Jeff O'Connor wrote: View Post
I think the reason we don't see Joe Carey for so long is because he's hiding from Seven. Likely, he asked Naomi for a good hiding place and never looked back.

I'm still working on the perfect expanation for where he is in Seasons 2 and 3, though.
I feel some Carey/Flotter slash coming on..

Might have to lie down now.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 8 2012, 01:11 PM   #204
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

"Flotter and the Ogre of Fire Cancel Each Other Out As Joe Carey Fades Away"
Old August 8 2012, 05:20 PM   #205
lurok
Commodore

VOY has some really under-utilised and wasted potential. Carey was one. Seska definitely. And I wish they'd had Ballard as a regular, and a lot earlier. She really lights up the screen that penultimate season.
Old August 8 2012, 07:50 PM   #206
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Jeff O'Connor wrote: View Post
B'Elanna's fantastic in that episode. This reminds me, she really has several knockout eps throughout the series' run -- even a couple in the Janeway-Seven-Doctor Triforce seasons.
Agreed 100%
Roxanne Dawson really knew her character from the start and owned it every time she appeared.
Old August 9 2012, 07:53 PM   #207
Sindatur
Rear Admiral

Be careful to remember how far into the Series the First Time Watcher is, guys. This last episode she is discussing in only Episode 2.13, so, you really should avoid discussing things beyond that

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 12:37 AM   #208
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Prototype was a neat episode and had a crazy oldschool scifi feeling to it with two robot civilizations bent on each other's destruction.

I never thought much of Torres being she was often a self parody. The snarling Klingon chick who routinely smashes things is the engineer and all. But this was a good episode for her. If they wrote Torres like this consistantly she would've been one of the stronger characters in the series.
Old August 11 2012, 02:03 AM   #209
teacake
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Be careful to remember how far into the Series the First Time Watcher is, guys. This last episode she is discussing in only Episode 2.13, so, you really should avoid discussing things beyond that
Oh yes! Sorry about that.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old August 11 2012, 05:10 AM   #210
Qutluch
Commander

Sindatur wrote: View Post
Thank you, I was trying to skim them so I did not absorb too much!