TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 9 2012, 07:16 PM   #1006
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

^
Well he's already got the chapters he cut from A Dance with Dragons to put into that book, so there's something. Add to this that Storm of Swords will take two seasons (making it possible the combined Feast for Crows/Dance with Dragons will also be at least two seasons), and if it takes him say... three or four years per book of these last two, maybe they'll make it.

Maybe.

Honestly one of the many big gambles of this TV adaption was adapting a still running novel series whose author had been taking longer to write each volume, I guess we'll see how that plays out in the end.

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
That's the thing. In GOT, he is an absolute piece of shit who throws a child from a roof and later cold-bloodedly kills Ned's men. But a few chapters told from his POV and you find yourself, despite your best efforts, liking the SOB.
I'm still rooting for Jaime's comeuppance, but he does strike just the right tragic note: Likeable enough for his POVs to have empathy in them, yet nasty enough for whatever horrible fate the books have in store for him to be well deserved.

As far as the TV show goes, I always felt they basically gave us a fair bit of A Storm of Swords Jaime in the first season - his conversation with Ned about the murder of Ned's father and elder brother IIRC mirrors his internal monologue in that novel a bit.
Old August 9 2012, 07:32 PM   #1007
Santa Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Santa Klaus's Twitter Profile

I'm hoping that he did it as a way to motivate himself to write faster, or at least to concentrate solely on this task.
Santa Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2012, 07:42 PM   #1008
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

From what I understand, he's working on several different projects in parallel, including "The World of Ice and Fire" (companion), "The Lands of Ice and Fire" (map book) and "Tales of Dunk and Egg" (novella). He continues to write/consult for the show and he recently finished up assisting the creation of the RPG video game. He's a busy dude.

If he concentrated entirely on finishing up the main books then I think he could make it. If he keeps sharing cycles with these other projects, though...I dunno...
Old August 9 2012, 08:04 PM   #1009
Kegg
Rear Admiral

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
From what I understand, he's working on several different projects in parallel, including "The World of Ice and Fire" (companion), "The Lands of Ice and Fire" (map book) and "Tales of Dunk and Egg" (novella).
Although I don't believe he's the only writer in the first two, and the third is actually a compilation of the Dunk and Egg short stories he's released over the years (plus one new short story).
Old August 9 2012, 08:29 PM   #1010
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Martin finished his work on the map book in May, and the entire project was complete and delivered in June. His script for season three of the TV show is also done, at least on his end. The only writing projects other than The Winds of Winter he has at the moment are the fourth Dunk and Egg novella (which he hopes to finish by the end of the month), his part of the companion book, and a short story for a Poul Anderson tribute anthology. The rest of his current work is anthology editing: the latest Wild Cards with Melinda Snodgrass, and four theme anthologies (two cross-genre, two retro-SF) with Gardner Dozois.
Old August 13 2012, 12:54 PM   #1011
Lonemagpie
Writer

More casting-

Burn Gorman and Noah taylor apparently - http://cartermatt.com/28813/game-of-...new-additions/

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 01:18 PM   #1012
Dream
Admiral

After so MUCH complaining about how slow season two was, I can't wait until the showrunners do book four and five. Should be fun.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 01:36 PM   #1013
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I don't have the book in front of me, but I had a question about something Arya overheard.

In the books, once she is with the Brotherhood without Banners, she overhears some of them talking to a little old lady. The lady speaks of her dreams.

Not sure if spoiler tag is necessary, but....

Old August 13 2012, 02:14 PM   #1014
Shurik
Fleet Captain

Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
I don't have the book in front of me, but I had a question about something Arya overheard.

In the books, once she is with the Brotherhood without Banners, she overhears some of them talking to a little old lady. The lady speaks of her dreams.

Not sure if spoiler tag is necessary, but....

Old August 13 2012, 02:22 PM   #1015
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

^What he said. The little old lady predicts a lot of things that happen in the book.

Most likely, she's a greenseer.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 02:22 PM   #1016
Santa Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Santa Klaus's Twitter Profile

Hmm, I assumed it was Melisandre again...
Santa Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 03:33 PM   #1017
Kosh Naranek
Captain

Thanks for the responses.

It will be interesting to see how all the dreams/prophecies play out in the books.

I am at the part in the books where Robb executes Lord Karstark. Things are unraveling for Robb quickly it seems. I personally wanted to reach into the books and smack him. His honor is going to kill him. Plus, him sticking Grey Wind outside to make Jayne's family feel better irked me to no end.

He and Cat have put him into quite the situation. The Freys have left and are plotting I am sure. The one remaining Karstark is not likely to remain loyal. The Boltons are up to something, and the Iron Born are in the North. (Personal obervation - I don't give a flying fig newton about the Iron Born. They just bore me.)

Arya's time with the Brotherhood has been interesting, but I can't help but feel that in the end, it won't be important. Unless, somehow Gendry gets put on the Iron Throne.

Sansa, bless her is just a brood mare. Perhaps that is too harsh, but she always fails to see the bigger picture around her. Granted I think she would make any okay queen because she can run around looking nice and being benevolent. But, the girl never can see the forest for the trees. I hope she wises up some more.

The Starks just need to marry her off the the one remaining Karstark to bring them back in the fold and start the production line on more Starks/Karstarks.

So, dragon glass kills the Others. Fascinating.

Also, Jon using Ghost as a hairy chastity belt just made me giggle. Got to love Ygritte. She is the best thing that has ever happened to to Jon Snow.
Old August 13 2012, 04:20 PM   #1018
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Thanks for the responses.

It will be interesting to see how all the dreams/prophecies play out in the books.

I am at the part in the books where Robb executes Lord Karstark. Things are unraveling for Robb quickly it seems. I personally wanted to reach into the books and smack him. His honor is going to kill him. Plus, him sticking Grey Wind outside to make Jayne's family feel better irked me to no end.

He and Cat have put him into quite the situation. The Freys have left and are plotting I am sure. The one remaining Karstark is not likely to remain loyal. The Boltons are up to something, and the Iron Born are in the North. (Personal obervation - I don't give a flying fig newton about the Iron Born. They just bore me.)
I'm of the same opinion of the Iron Born myself. They just strike me as the bullies. Their words even say it for them "we do not sow", meaning we take what we think is ours and piss on the rest. I like the concept of "iron price" vs "gold price", but they take it a bit to extremes.

Arya's time with the Brotherhood has been interesting, but I can't help but feel that in the end, it won't be important. Unless, somehow Gendry gets put on the Iron Throne.
The Brotherhood keeps popping up on occasion. They seem to be one of those tiny little lynch-pins around which certain things revolve. They're kind of interesting to watch. They are outlaws, after a fashion, but they strike me more as Robin Hood types, still loyal to a dead king.

Sansa, bless her is just a brood mare. Perhaps that is too harsh, but she always fails to see the bigger picture around her. Granted I think she would make any okay queen because she can run around looking nice and being benevolent. But, the girl never can see the forest for the trees. I hope she wises up some more.
Oh, she will. I won't ruin from you, but she will start getting lessons in the Game of Thrones by an exemplary teacher before long.

Poor Sansa. She is a bit clueless and, unfortunately, the HBO show doesn't really do her justice. Most of her story is internalized, as she has nobody really to talk to in King's Landing and that's difficult to convey in a visual medium. She's very young, and she's beset on all sides by vipers and sharks who have been manipulating and maneuvering for years. She's clearly out-classed, and she knows it too. She's in pure survival mode. I don't think she's completely naive, but I do think she wants people to think of her as such, purely as a defense mechanism. If you show that you know what you're doing, all of a sudden you become a player and, hence, a threat.

The Starks just need to marry her off the the one remaining Karstark to bring them back in the fold and start the production line on more Starks/Karstarks.
Eh...well...this one goes a little sideways. You'll see...

So, dragon glass kills the Others. Fascinating.
Because Dragons are of fire and the Others are of ice. They are anathema. Wait till you read about obsidian candles.

Also, Jon using Ghost as a hairy chastity belt just made me giggle. Got to love Ygritte. She is the best thing that has ever happened to to Jon Snow.
Yes, she is. But you know, the Men of the Watch cannot keep brides...
Old August 13 2012, 05:18 PM   #1019
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

137th Gebirg wrote: View Post
The Brotherhood keeps popping up on occasion. They seem to be one of those tiny little lynch-pins around which certain things revolve. They're kind of interesting to watch. They are outlaws, after a fashion, but they strike me more as Robin Hood types, still loyal to a dead king.
The Brotherhood is an obvious hommage to the Robin Hood myth. Fighting for the poor, loyal to a dead king. Hell, even the archetypes of the characters are somewhat similar.
Lem Lemoncloak - Little John
Thoros of Myr - Friar Tuck
Tom Sevenstrings - Will Scarlet
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 06:29 PM   #1020
Kosh Naranek
Captain

[QUOTE=137th Gebirg;6796280]
Yes, she is. But you know, the Men of the Watch cannot keep brides...
Yeah - I figure things will end badly for her. She seems quite smitten, but from what the story tells of Jon, he is going to carry out what the Halfhand told him to do.

Plus, I know that he ends up Lord Commmander. I have friends that read the books as they came out and sometimes they cannot just keep things to themselves.

Of ocurse, I can be a spoiler hound. Hence my presence in this thread.