RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,147
Posts: 5,343,564
Members: 24,591
Currently online: 548
Newest member: Ryq

TrekToday headlines

New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 8 2012, 06:54 PM   #121
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

^That one is pretty crap. You can tell that at this stage the show was still trying to find it's footing. I think you'll like the next one though.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 8 2012, 09:43 PM   #122
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore
 
Jeff O'Connor's Avatar
 
Location: Tampa, FL
Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

Rest assured, the Aeryn/Pilot dynamic has future, better installments!
__________________
Star Trek
1966-
Jeff O'Connor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2012, 07:08 PM   #123
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

PK Tech Girl - This was a pretty good episode. It was interesting to learn a bit more about Rygel's past, and to see Aeryn interact with another peacekeeper. The scavenger aliens were a little annoying, but it wasn't a big deal. The romance between Chricton and the woman seemed a bit rushed, and it really seemed to be there just to mess with Aeryn. Still, a solid episode.

I do plan to talk about B5 episodes, its just taking awhile for the DVD to come, thats why I'm trying to just watch one Farscape episode a day, so that I can talk about both.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 03:10 AM   #124
DWF
Vice Admiral
 
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

PK Tech Girl was technically the first ep. shown on a preview night on USA for Sci-Fi's Friday night line up. Farscape's airing order at the start of the first season was different than it is on the DVDs, the first ep. after the pilot was Back And Back To The Future, iinstead of I.E.T.
__________________
The greatest science fiction series of all time is
Doctor Who! And I'll take you all on, one-by-one
or all in a bunch to back it up!"
--- Harlan Ellison, from his introduction
to the PINNACLE series of Doctor Who books
DWF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 06:33 PM   #125
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

I got my B5 season 1 DVD I've watched the next 2 episodes after the pilot

The Soul Hunter - This was a good episode. The idea of a race of aliens whose goal is to take souls is creepy enough, but when one of them goes crazy, its even creepier. I like how they dealt with him in the end.

Born to the Purple - This was an ok episode. I wasn't that interested in Londo's romance or the woman, but the episode had some good scenes, and the plot with Garibaldi and who was using the gold channel was interesting.

I also watched another farscape episode.

That Old Black Magic - This was a good episode, although I'm still a bit underwhelmed by Crais as a villain, or atleast his motivations. I also wonder why Chricton just snapped and attacked Crais near the end. It almost seemed like the writers realised that the reason that Crais was hunting John wasn't going to make him completely disobey orders and keep hunting John, so they wrote this episode and made John responsible for prolonging the chase. Still, I liked the episode and Maldis was interesting. I also liked seeing another side of Zhaan. I hope they go more into her backstory eventually.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 07:36 PM   #126
RoJoHen
Awesome
 
RoJoHen's Avatar
 
Location: QC, IL, USA
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

kirk55555 wrote: View Post

Born to the Purple - This was an ok episode. I wasn't that interested in Londo's romance or the woman
You may not have been interested in this particular plotline, but you will definitely want to remember it.
__________________
I am the Quintessential Admiral.
RoJoHen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10 2012, 07:41 PM   #127
SJSharksfan39
Admiral
 
SJSharksfan39's Avatar
 
Location: Clone Club
View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
PK Tech Girl - This was a pretty good episode. It was interesting to learn a bit more about Rygel's past, and to see Aeryn interact with another peacekeeper. The scavenger aliens were a little annoying, but it wasn't a big deal. The romance between Chricton and the woman seemed a bit rushed, and it really seemed to be there just to mess with Aeryn. Still, a solid episode.

I do plan to talk about B5 episodes, its just taking awhile for the DVD to come, thats why I'm trying to just watch one Farscape episode a day, so that I can talk about both.
I love PK Tech Girl, but it does hold kind of a special place because it was the episode I watched the night of September 11th, 2001. It was Farscape providing a much needed distraction after getting home from school and turning on the news because of what happened in the morning.
__________________
Twitter
SJSharksfan39 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 06:34 PM   #128
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

DNA Mad Scientist (Farscape) - This episode really shocked me. It was an interesting episode, but it really changed some of the characters to me. Rygel and Ka D'Argo obviously had loose definitions of right and wrong, and Zhaan has some kind of dark past, but what they did to Pilot was downright evil. They held him down and removed an arm. I get why he didn't try to get revenge or anything, but it was bad. I never thought they were paragons of virtue, but to finally see that they'd sell anyone for just a chance to get home was eye opening. Its not like it effects my enjoyment of the series or anything, and honestly the fact that they totally shocked me could be good in that it makes the show more unpredictable (not that it was predictable before). Now, I honestly want them to get punished for what they did. I still like them as characters and find them interesting. I'm guessing the writers intended this episode to show the audience that these characters aren't misunderstood or wrongfully accused criminals. They may have their good sides, but they are vicious and really have no loyalty to anyone but themselves. Like I said before, its shocking, but it does add a new twist to the series. Either that, or the writers screwed up and they won't do something like this again, and this episode was just a mistake while trying to get a handle on the characters personalities. Either way, its changed my perceptions of them. I do like that Aeryn and John were consistant, and we see more development with Aeryn, who, like John, was shocked about what they did to pilot. I figured she would be, but compared to the average peacekeeper, or her self in the first few episodes, its a change. She's had consistant character growth, which I think has been done well. I did like how aeryne was shocked (along with John) by what they did to pilot. she's come a long way from being just an average peacekeeper, looking down her nose at aliens. She's had good, consistant character growth, and I'd say her and John are my favorite characters so far.

Infection (Babylon 5) - This was a good episode. I have to say that, while this shows special effects are lacking, they know how to do alien make up. This episode doesn't seem to have been too important to the overall series, but it was entertaining.

Last edited by kirk55555; August 11 2012 at 10:48 PM.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 09:20 PM   #129
ATimson
Rear Admiral
 
ATimson's Avatar
 
Location: Andrew Timson
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Investation (Babylon 5) - This was a good episode. I have to say that, while this shows special effects are lacking, they know how to do alien make up. This episode doesn't seem to have been too important to the overall series, but it was entertaining.
You mean "Infection"? Wow. You're far kinder towards it than most viewers.

Thanks to a comment by JMS in the script books, I now know what he was trying to do with the episode (I can't get into details without major spoilers). But I still think it failed.
__________________
Andrew Timson
===============
"Niceness is the greatest human flaw, except for all the others." - Brendan Moody

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 10:53 PM   #130
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

ATimson wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Investation (Babylon 5) - This was a good episode. I have to say that, while this shows special effects are lacking, they know how to do alien make up. This episode doesn't seem to have been too important to the overall series, but it was entertaining.
You mean "Infection"? Wow. You're far kinder towards it than most viewers.

Thanks to a comment by JMS in the script books, I now know what he was trying to do with the episode (I can't get into details without major spoilers). But I still think it failed.
I meant Infection. I really don't get what was the problem with it. It wasn't mindblowing or anything, but I didn't notice any glaring problems. Its only the fourth B5 episode I've seen, but everyone seemed to be in character, and the plot, while probably pointless to the series as a whole, was standard sci-Fi stuff. It had flaws (I think it would have been better if the machine thing hadn't started talking, the commander talking it to death was kind of stupid, and the racism part was overdone), and it was forgettable. All shows have episodes like that, especially in the first season.

Last edited by kirk55555; August 11 2012 at 11:13 PM.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11 2012, 11:47 PM   #131
Reverend
Rear Admiral
 
Reverend's Avatar
 
Location: UK
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

Actually, there are elements of this episode that are tangentially important to some of the central arcs, but it's the kind of thing that only becomes apparent in hindsight. Season one has a lot of that. Episodes tick by, things are said and done that don't necessarily register, then you re-watch the whole series over and will probably be shocked at how early some of the big twists were put right out there for all to see and few to notice.

Still, 'Infection' is definitely one of the weaker episodes of the whole five year run, so if you liked that, the good episodes should blow your socks off.
Reverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 12:00 AM   #132
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

Well, I wasn't amazed by it, but I didn't dislike it, it was just kind of there. Not great, but not terrible. A kind of episode that most first seasons have (like TNG's Angel One and The Big Goodbye) that aren't terrible, but that you probably won't think about after watching.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 02:47 AM   #133
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

kirk55555 wrote: View Post
DNA Mad Scientist (Farscape) - This episode really shocked me. It was an interesting episode, but it really changed some of the characters to me. Rygel and Ka D'Argo obviously had loose definitions of right and wrong, and Zhaan has some kind of dark past, but what they did to Pilot was downright evil. They held him down and removed an arm. I get why he didn't try to get revenge or anything, but it was bad. I never thought they were paragons of virtue, but to finally see that they'd sell anyone for just a chance to get home was eye opening. Its not like it effects my enjoyment of the series or anything, and honestly the fact that they totally shocked me could be good in that it makes the show more unpredictable (not that it was predictable before). Now, I honestly want them to get punished for what they did. I still like them as characters and find them interesting. I'm guessing the writers intended this episode to show the audience that these characters aren't misunderstood or wrongfully accused criminals. They may have their good sides, but they are vicious and really have no loyalty to anyone but themselves. Like I said before, its shocking, but it does add a new twist to the series. Either that, or the writers screwed up and they won't do something like this again, and this episode was just a mistake while trying to get a handle on the characters personalities. Either way, its changed my perceptions of them. I do like that Aeryn and John were consistant, and we see more development with Aeryn, who, like John, was shocked about what they did to pilot. I figured she would be, but compared to the average peacekeeper, or her self in the first few episodes, its a change. She's had consistant character growth, which I think has been done well. I did like how aeryne was shocked (along with John) by what they did to pilot. she's come a long way from being just an average peacekeeper, looking down her nose at aliens. She's had good, consistant character growth, and I'd say her and John are my favorite characters so far.
It's been a while since I watched, but I believe the next few episodes did actually deal quite a bit with what they did to Pilot here. Which is was kind of nice since a lot of shows would have had something like this occur and then have everyone getting along perfect fine in the next episode.
__________________
Over the course of many encounters and many years, I have successfully developed a standard operating procedure for dealing with big, nasty monsters. Run away. Me and Monty Python.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 12 2012, 04:39 PM   #134
RandyS
Vice Admiral
 
RandyS's Avatar
 
Location: Randyland
View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

ATimson wrote: View Post
kirk55555 wrote: View Post
Investation (Babylon 5) - This was a good episode. I have to say that, while this shows special effects are lacking, they know how to do alien make up. This episode doesn't seem to have been too important to the overall series, but it was entertaining.
You mean "Infection"? Wow. You're far kinder towards it than most viewers.

Thanks to a comment by JMS in the script books, I now know what he was trying to do with the episode (I can't get into details without major spoilers). But I still think it failed.
So do I. Along with Soul Hunter, Infection was one of my least favorites.

Of course, season one's absolute worst episode is still to come, but I'll let Kirk5555 decide that for himself.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 13 2012, 06:25 PM   #135
kirk55555
Fleet Captain
 
kirk55555's Avatar
 
Re: Farscape or Babylon 5?

RandyS wrote: View Post
Of course, season one's absolute worst episode is still to come, but I'll let Kirk5555 decide that for himself.
That doesn't sound good

Now, for the episodes I watched over the weekend.

The Parliament of Dreams (Babylon 5) - I liked this episode. There was some entertaining goofiness. Overall I enjoyed the episode. The assassain parts were my favorite. I'm not too interested in the commander's love interest, but I guess they thought he really needed one.

Mind War (Babylon 5) - This was a very entertaining episode. It was interesting to learn more about the psi-corps. Walter Koenig played a great role, and I'm not just saying that because I'm a star Trek fan I'm pretty sure he makes more appearances, which is cool. Bester is an interesting character.

They've Got a Secret (Farscape) - i really enjoyed this episode, and it actually kind of made me change my opinion on DNA Mad Scientist a bit. I still think that episode went a bit dark and I'm still not sure what Zhaan's motivation was to help them remove pilots arm (I get she misses home, but enough to maim pilot?) but, learning about D'argo's past helps make his motivation more clear beyond him doing it because he's just vicious. I think that, while the actions in DNA MS were shocking, I was probably a bit hard on the characters. It still seemed a bit too much, but I think this episode helped put it in persepective. As for the plot overall, it was good, although Moya's baby is a weird idea and I think its going to become a way for writers to make excuses as to why the ship can't do things it should be able to, I don't think it will really go anywhere, but I could be wrong.

Till the blood Runs Clear - This was an ok episode, but thats it. The plot was not amazing, although it had some good parts. It just seemed like another way to screw over John. Also, the thing with Zhaan was funny the first time, but they kind of over did it.

At this point in my watching of the series, I'm enjoying both of them, but I'd say I'm enjoying farscape more. B5 isn't bad by any stretch, I like it, but if I had to choose only one at this point, it would be Farscape. I'm still excited to watch more episodes of both shows.
kirk55555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
babylon 5, farscape

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.