Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old July 21 2012, 01:49 PM   #16
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Re: VOY getting a remaster to HD possibility within 5 years?

I didnt want to start a new thread.
I remember hearing that before they shot Enterprise season 1 they put an HD camera on the set of VOY im season 7 for a side-by-side comparison.
I think i was on a special feature of ENT dvd season 1.
I'd like to see that footage in HD.

It would be at least 5 years though as they still have 4 seasons of TNG to do and DS9.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21 2012, 02:41 PM   #17
Jeri
Vice Admiral

I know what that previous commenter was meaning. VOY fans have money, apparently; that's what I remember about the sets. The VOY 7-season set was a top seller in the Star Trek category for a while.
Old July 22 2012, 12:37 AM   #18
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Seeing as there have been encouraging comments from CBS about a DS9-R in the past few days then it's certainly not outside the realm of possibility that Voyager will get the same treatment.

The likely problem for VOY-R though is the performance of DS9-R. DS9-R will undoubtedly come first, and it WILL likely come based on the strength of the TNG BD sales alone. VOY and DS9 are fairly similar in terms of popularity, hence if the DS9-R BDs tank, will VOY-R ever see the light of day?
Old July 23 2012, 09:34 PM   #19
Akiraprise

I would definitely buy up a BR release of VOY, although I was watching some of the later CGI shots recently and they are starting to show their age. Still look decent though.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain. I mean to avenge myself upon you Admiral. I've deprived your ship of power and when I swing around I mean to deprive you of your life. But I wanted you to know first who it was who had beaten you." - The Khan formerly known as...Khan
Akiraprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24 2012, 05:56 AM   #20
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

View Jeff O'Connor's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

I think the last two or three seasons of Voyager still have fairly good CG. BSG is still probably the high water mark for these things, in part due to the disappearance of space opera from television in the last few years, heh. But Voyager looks good later on. Same with DS9. (Enterprise looks pretty fantastic, still. Its pilot isn't even eleven years old, though, but when we consider how far the gaming industry has come with regard to CG in that time, this is truly a testament to Trek's triple-A special effects crew.)

It is starting to show its age to some extent, though, I agree. Later DS9 and most of Voyager is really going to be a tough job if the HD releases do make it that far: low-resolution CGI shots will need to be completely replaced, and there's more emphasis on lots of cool space explosions and whatnot, so there's more work to be done.
Old July 27 2012, 03:50 PM   #21
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

from the TNG-R discussion thread:

trekker670 wrote: View Post
He also stated that the purpose CBS Television, CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount are paying for this is to future-proof the show, so I would call it safe to assume that the other series will most likely get the treatment as well, but again it depends on the sales of these sets.
This sounds favorable for VOY.
If they continue on the remastering route I would think at the very least a Fathom Events cinema screening for DS9 2 episodes and also VOY 2 episodes.
Old July 27 2012, 04:20 PM   #22
trekker670
Fleet Captain

Here's the exact quote from the article I was referring to. I was being somewhat optimistic, but I still believe the chances are good that we'll see DS9 and Voyager.

http://www.tweaktown.com/articles/48...tt/index1.html

TT: Just to bring the interview to a close, the release schedule means that the entire run of the series won't be completed and available to the market until roughly 2015. Is it likely that CBS will look to other Star Trek properties such as Deep Space Nine and Voyager at this point?

Y'know that's the big question, and I think the overall sales of this will determine that. The problem is that in addition to just the restoration, those shows never had the ratings that Star Trek: The Next Generation had. My favourite modern Star Trek was Deep Space Nine, and as they got into later seasons, they relied heavily on CGI to create their visual effects and there's a lot more visual effects in those episodes of Deep Space Nine and Voyager than there were in the Original Series, and it's hugely cost prohibitive. I mean the Dominion War, all of those visual effects, the ones where they don't have models or film elements for, are going to have to be recreated digitally and that is a massively daunting task, and that could affect the desire or even the economic feasibility of making the shows, to do the same thing that they've done to The Next Generation, but it's my hope they will. I want Deep Space Nine. I really want Deep Space Nine in HD because I dearly love that show and I think it really holds up and I love those characters and I really hope that it does happen. But as of now, I think it's too early to say.

TT: So the message is that if fans want to see Deep Space Nine in 1080p they should jettison their Next Generation DVD's and upgrade to Blu-ray?

Absolutely. And if you're a fan of Star Trek, you're forward thinking in that way anyway, you're gonna want to see it. And I just think that all the hard work that went into that series, it's never been seen this way before and even the aesthetics, like when you watch a first season episode that people laugh at like Justice; Justice is a really weird episode. When I watched it, I actually watched it twice in HD, and I'm like there's some really interesting stuff, there's that great space station and they live in a different dimension, and what are they doing and they never show up again and then there's a great moment in that episode where Data and Picard have a great discussion about the prime directive and I was like "˜y'know this is a great scene and while this episode is kind of absurd, I kind of enjoyed watching it, the colors are very inviting and so even when The Next Generation is clearly not at its best, there's clearly something valuable about watching these episodes on high definition. It makes even what I think is the worst episode maybe of the series, besides Night Terrors, is Home Soil that's on the first season, that episode is unbearable to me, but I watched it because of the way it looks in high def, and I actually enjoyed watching it. And I would never watch that on DVD, but I'll watch it on Blu-ray!
trekker670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2012, 03:16 PM   #23
Jefferies
Captain

The first round of sales data for the TNG blu rays has been posted in the Season 1 thread on the TNG board. To put it mildly, those sets are doing exceedingly well. In less than a week they made almost 6 million USD in sales. They achieved this in the face of a serious issue with the audio quality, which promted a disc replacement program and a suspension of sales. One also needs to keep in mind that the first season of TNG is one of the least popular of the franchise.

The first season of TNG cost 9 million USD to remaster.

This means they will break even after just a few weeks of sales. If these numbers hold up DS9 is almost certainly guaranteed. So Voyager's chances are looking pretty good to me right now.
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2012, 04:14 PM   #24
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Jefferies wrote: View Post
This means they will break even after just a few weeks of sales. If these numbers hold up DS9 is almost certainly guaranteed. So Voyager's chances are looking pretty good to me right now.
The TNG news is great, but ultimately it's likely to have little effect on whether or not VOY gets a remaster. There's not much difference in terms of popularity between VOY and DS9 (certainly when compared to the popularity of TOS and TNG) - given this, it's far more likely that they'll wait and see how DS9 does on HD and then decide whether or not to do VOY.
Old August 9 2012, 04:34 PM   #25
timtonruben359
Lieutenant

Voyager and DS9 will get an HD makeover mark my words. Here's the thing Paramount and CBS didn't decide to HD TNG because fans were pounding at the door (sure the money the could get from Bluray sales was obviously a factor), they're doing it to future proof the shows. HD is the industry standard now and more and more people are converting to HD televisions. The Star Trek shows will continue to be rerun for years if not decades to come.
timtonruben359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2012, 05:07 PM   #26
Jefferies
Captain

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
The TNG news is great, but ultimately it's likely to have little effect on whether or not VOY gets a remaster. There's not much difference in terms of popularity between VOY and DS9 (certainly when compared to the popularity of TOS and TNG) - given this, it's far more likely that they'll wait and see how DS9 does on HD and then decide whether or not to do VOY.
But that's not the point. The point is, if TNG's lack luster first season can do this staggeringly well. Then DS9 has a good chance to do fairly well also. Et voila, Voyager HD will become a reality following the probable success of DS9 Remastered.
Jefferies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2012, 05:14 PM   #27
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Jefferies wrote: View Post
But that's not the point. The point is, if TNG's lack luster first season can do this staggeringly well. Then DS9 has a good chance to do fairly well also. Et voila, Voyager HD will become a reality following the probable success of DS9 Remastered.
Well I certainly hope you're right!
Old August 9 2012, 05:17 PM   #28
lurok
Commodore

I'd rather DS9 or VOY than TNG any day. But I'm not holding breath for anytime soon.
Old February 26 2013, 09:57 PM   #29
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
I remember hearing that before they shot Enterprise season 1 they put an HD camera on the set of VOY in season 7 for a side-by-side comparison.
I think i was on a special feature of ENT dvd season 1.
I'd like to see that footage in HD.
Well it looks like the footage is probably around as the ENT tests were just located:

you know that in Season Four, they changed over from 35MM to high-def? I found Marvin Rush’s camera tests – all the HD camera tests he did, before they decided to go with high-def. Hopefully we can do something with that down the road for year four. I mention that so you know we’re finding stuff every day.
The ENT producers were actually considering in 2001 to shoot the entire ENT series in digital HD at the time. The cameras available were very minimal and George Lucas had just shot Star Wars Ep.2 AOTC on the Sony F-900 camera in 2000 and with re-shoots in 2001.
Only 1 other TV show was shot being Titus (2000) was shot around then in on HD cameras and it was a multi-camera in-studio sit-com. Producers knew things were moving that way for VFX and it was much cheaper.

TrekCore: How does this stuff exist? I know that the reels of film for The Next Generation were kept in this big salt mine – how is the stuff that Angelo is finding existing? Where is it?
Roger Lay, Jr.: A lot of it was in the same underground storage facility as the episode negs. It’s all in these boxes, and each box has, sometimes film elements; sometimes tape elements, a lot of this stuff is on tape, obviously. The great thing about it is that every box has an inventory list. Everything was catalogued really nicely on Star Trek.
from this week's Trekcore 3-part article about ENT blu-ray seasons special features that interviewed Roger Lay, Jr. the guy who is producing the bonus features (VAM "value-added-material") on both TNG and ENT's new Blu-Ray releases.

It would be so cool to see a live-action scene shot in 2001 from season 7 of VOY in HD shot with a Sony F-900 HD camera with the production audio and then played again with audio synced up from the final sound mix.
It would be the only thing from VOY shot on digital HD in-camera.

Last edited by jefferiestubes8; February 26 2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old February 27 2013, 12:08 AM   #30
Lance
Commodore

If the key consideration for remastering everything in HD is the ability to get together syndication packages for broadcast on HD television networks, then I'd say chances are pretty good Voyager will get the upgrade at some stage. Whether or not they bother spending the amount of time, effort and money on it that they have on TNG-R, or whether they end up cutting corners and upscaling bits and pieces of footage instead of doing a full remaster, is another thing.
Lance is offline   Reply With Quote