Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 6 2012, 09:10 PM   #991
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

^Plus with that smart ass attitude of his, they'd cut his tongue out and throw him overboard to the drowned god...
Old August 6 2012, 09:20 PM   #992
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Heh...I get the impression that Tony's individualism wouldn't get him very far in the Seven Kingdoms in general. He doesn't strike me as a person exceptionally ready to bend knee to anyone. I think he would be better suited for the Free Cities of Essos. Or maybe he could dig up some cool ancient tech from Old Valeria.
Old August 6 2012, 09:22 PM   #993
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ I don't know, I think he and Robert Baratheon would enjoy drinking together. And I'm sure Robert would find Tony a useful man to bring on a boar hunt.
Old August 6 2012, 09:24 PM   #994
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Oh no doubt. One of Tony's hand-based plasma casters could fry a bear at 100 yards. Wouldn't even have to cook the thing.
Old August 6 2012, 09:39 PM   #995
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

Kelthaz wrote: View Post
I stole this and posted it on facebook - it's great!
Old August 7 2012, 12:24 AM   #996
InklingStar
Fleet Captain

View InklingStar's Twitter Profile

One of my coworkers is a big fan of Iron Man as well as Game of Thrones. I took this picture when he was at a conference a few months ago.

Old August 7 2012, 12:42 AM   #997
Dream
Admiral

I would pay good money to see Iron Man fry that bastard Joffrey to death with his weapons.
Old August 7 2012, 03:47 AM   #998
Anwar
Vice Admiral

A comment from Youtube on Ned's Execution:

"Spoiler: Next week Ned is avenged by his eccentric billionaire brother Tony."
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2012, 04:38 AM   #999
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Tony would make a good Lannister.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2012, 03:01 PM   #1000
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

Well he certainly has the wealth for it...
Old August 8 2012, 09:42 PM   #1001
Kosh Naranek
Captain

I have finished book 2, and I am moving on to book 3.

I wonder how I will like a Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons? I love the Two Towers in the Lord of the Rings, and a lot of my friends found the middle book to be boring and tedious.

The first POV chapter from Jamie is a riot. He is a scoundrel, but I find it hard to hate him.
Old August 9 2012, 08:21 AM   #1002
superdeluxe
Captain

Rumor: Noah Taylor and burn Gorman has joined the cast :

http://winteriscoming.net/2012/08/ru...join-the-cast/

I liked Taylor in almost famous and Charlie and chocolate factory, unfamiliar with Gorman but apparently he was on a show called torchwood and recently TDKR

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2012, 10:38 AM   #1003
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Kosh Naranek wrote: View Post
IThe first POV chapter from Jamie is a riot. He is a scoundrel, but I find it hard to hate him.
That's the thing. In GOT, he is an absolute piece of shit who throws a child from a roof and later cold-bloodedly kills Ned's men. But a few chapters told from his POV and you find yourself, despite your best efforts, liking the SOB. The way Martin handles his character development is brilliant.
Old August 9 2012, 02:59 PM   #1004
Kosh Naranek
Captain

As the books wear on, I hate Cersei more and more.

I was never even a fan of her on the TV show, but the books have given rise to a new level of disgust. My friends that had read the books previous to the show starting, said that they were trying to "soften" her. Well, I thought she was a big enough of a witch on wheels just watching the show, and could not imagine how the show had made her more than just a scheming, shallow woman. Because that is how I saw her. But, the books....Never have I wanted a character to fall so hard in my life. Well maybe William from Pillars of the Earth, but she is gaining on him. (The actress does a great job, BTW.)

I can understand Cat's motivations more having read the books. The show just made her look totally self absorbed and witless when she let Jamie go. In the books, you can see how her world is unraveling around her, and she fears that Sansa and Robb are her only children left. That being said though, what she did was still wrong in my book. Other people had lost just as much or more as Cat and they were still going on. What she did was a slap in the face to all of the Bannermen and women of House Stark and Riverrun that had lost so much in the war. She was not the only one suffering.

Ultimately I can sit back and say from the comfort of an armchair - it was a selfish act, but I kept wondering if I would have done the same? In the end, who would not forsake their honor and use what power they have to save their children?

The wolves are an integral part of the tale in the books. I suppose the cost of CGI precludes using them a lot in the series? (Plus, I imagine dragons are not cheap CGI either.) However, the Stark children's relationship with thier wolves is so touching, really. I guess the show is showcasing that some with Bran and Summer + Jon and Ghost.

I cannot get over how much more compelling the Night's Watch story is in the books. I am not sure why the TV show feels such a letdown, but they don't seem to be infusing the beyond the Wall story with the same level of urgency as the books.
Old August 9 2012, 04:09 PM   #1005
137th Gebirg
Rear Admiral

I finished "Feast for Crows" last week and IMHO, it's the weakest of the series. IIRC, GRRM was originally going to make "Dance with Dragons" book 4 (the one I'm reading now), but he started doing so many flash-backs to tell the story, he wound up making an entire book of flashbacks leading up to it, which became AFfC. Several major POV characters are missing from this book, most notably Tyrian and Danerys, and much of the prose, especially in the beginning dealing with the insipid Iron Born is ponderous and repetitive. I suspect that, by the time we get to season 4, we'll be seeing heavy helpings of activity from both AFfC and ADwD, to make the stories flow better. So far, my favorite book is Storm of Swords, but Dragons is coming in at a close second for me now.

GRRM better hurry up with Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring before HBO catches up. Knowing how slow he writes, I would be concerned. Clock's-a-ticking...